Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by Yurt » 14 September 11 9:28 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Anybody who finds typing on an Android keyboard tiresome should try Swype.
It makes keyboard input a pleasure, so much so that I tend do all my logs on my HTC Desire now, in the field using c:geo, and my preference is to do longish logs.
Sorry iPhone users, no version for you yet.
http://www.swype.com/category/tips/tips-videos/

It may look a little strange at first, but spend 20mins trying it and you'll be converted.
It now comes standard on the
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC EVO 3D and some others.
I can't find it in the Android store. Do you have to download directly from Swype (and pay for it I assume)?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 14 September 11 10:14 pm

It was on the front page a few days ago... (I may still be) :D

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 14 September 11 11:54 pm

Yurt wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:Anybody who finds typing on an Android keyboard tiresome should try Swype.
It makes keyboard input a pleasure, so much so that I tend do all my logs on my HTC Desire now, in the field using c:geo, and my preference is to do longish logs.
Sorry iPhone users, no version for you yet.
http://www.swype.com/category/tips/tips-videos/

It may look a little strange at first, but spend 20mins trying it and you'll be converted.
It now comes standard on the
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC EVO 3D and some others.
I can't find it in the Android store. Do you have to download directly from Swype (and pay for it I assume)?
You get it here. http://beta.swype.com/They say its beta but it works perfectly for me.
You need to register for it but there are no strings that I can see.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 September 11 12:45 am

Swype is magic (almost literally, I sometimes think, when it 'guesses' a weird word accurately!)

I suspect the beta program will end sometime and I, along with all the other hooked fish, will probably pay whatever's asked for the genuine version!

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 15 September 11 12:26 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Swype is magic (almost literally, I sometimes think, when it 'guesses' a weird word accurately!)

I suspect the beta program will end sometime and I, along with all the other hooked fish, will probably pay whatever's asked for the genuine version!
Comes as standard on my Huawei Ideos X5

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 16 September 11 4:38 am

WOW! Just got swype and it IS magic... it could spell Munzee, Kilkenny, Darcy and other non-real words even first go... amazing! You can actually type with my A50 now :D

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 September 11 12:01 pm

Zalgariath wrote:WOW! Just got swype and it IS magic... it could spell Munzee, Kilkenny, Darcy and other non-real words even first go... amazing! You can actually type with my A50 now :D
One of the simple-but-clever things about it is that it asks for access to your contacts, so it can spell their names and suburb names, etc. You can also add stuff to your dictionary explicitly.

It makes on-the-spot logging a lot more palatable. While MBL is filling in the physical logbook, I'm often doing the online version.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 16 September 11 12:07 pm

The message I got when selecting it as the input method was along the lines of "Hey this thing can record everything you type, including passwords and stuff". A bit scary, but given its inclusion by Samsung and co. you'd expect them not to be bad. Unless they DO store what you type and get hacked like Sony did.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 16 September 11 2:10 pm

One of the CONS about my HTC Desire is the relatively small on board RAM it has.
Swype uses 13.84Mb of it, and can't be run from the SD card.
Other apps which I use a lot like Viber for free calls and messages, Maps, Foxtel Guide, etc also can't run from the SD card, and now GA Cacher can't as well.
I've moved everything I can to the SD Card using Apps2SD but the ones that are left have practically filled the on board memory.

Apparently if I root my phone, and install a custom ROM it enables me to move some of these remaining apps to the SD Card.
I've been resisting doing this because I like it the way it is and I'm not sure what other things like HTC Sense will be affected.

There's lots of discussion about doing this on Whirlpool, so it looks I might have to do it soon.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 16 September 11 5:17 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Apparently if I root my phone, and install a custom ROM it enables me to move some of these remaining apps to the SD Card.
I've been resisting doing this because I like it the way it is and I'm not sure what other things like HTC Sense will be affected.
Once you stop using sense you wont miss it after about a week, it really offers nothing IMO.

Also, custom ROMS re-partition your phone giving you HEAPS more internal memory, I haven't had a low space message since doing it on mine.

It's worth doing just to get rid of the telstra crap (and sense), but I can understand why people don't.

Im running Cyanogen 7.1.0RC1 (Android 2.3.4) and I've got about 78MB free from about 288MB of usable app space on the phone with a heap of crap installed. Best thing I ever did.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 17 September 11 12:47 am

CraigRat wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:Apparently if I root my phone, and install a custom ROM it enables me to move some of these remaining apps to the SD Card.
Once you stop using sense you wont miss it after about a week, it really offers nothing IMO.

Also, custom ROMS re-partition your phone giving you HEAPS more internal memory, I haven't had a low space message since doing it on mine.

It's worth doing just to get rid of the telstra crap (and sense), but I can understand why people don't.

Im running Cyanogen 7.1.0RC1 (Android 2.3.4) and I've got about 78MB free from about 288MB of usable app space on the phone with a heap of crap installed. Best thing I ever did.
You've nearly convinced me. Has it changed the look and feel very much?
Which rooting process did you follow?
Thanks Craigrat.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 20 September 11 10:46 pm

It's such a great phone I'm a bit reluctant to do this.
Just glad I didn't get one of those cheap incompatible Huley Duley fixed focus camera begotchas on Optus \:D/

Bells Angels
Twitter: cbjbell

Post by Bells Angels » 29 September 11 7:59 am

Anyone tryed the new geocaching app for Android called NeonGeo? Very impressive. It's a paid app ($4) and seems pretty good to me.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 September 11 12:01 pm

Bells Angels wrote:Anyone tryed the new geocaching app for Android called NeonGeo? Very impressive. It's a paid app ($4) and seems pretty good to me.
It's pretty good!
Now if only it would take caches from other sites via GPX and handle them properly (you dont get hints etc for GCA caches if you import a GPX)

It's REALLY nice on a tablet!