Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

Post by pjmpjm » 06 July 11 10:04 pm

A friend has suggested to me that we ought to discuss the growing trend of what I'd call -- perhaps generously -- 'minimalist' online logs . . .

In extreme cases, online logs show up with no content at all. There's only a 'found' notification. Nothing else is said -- no thanks, nothing at all.

What does everyone think?

Should we encourage finders to at least write 'TFTC' or something similar?

Or is it best simply to let geocachers write as much or as little as they like?

#-o

I'll give my own opinion later!

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Re: Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

Post by rogerw3 » 06 July 11 10:15 pm

](*,)
I do not enjoy reading the short or non existent logs some cachers leave on my caches, I would like some feedback on my placement, containers etc, and yes people do not always have the time to do this and if they do a large number of caches over a few days and have to get back home to their computer to do the logs it becomes time consuming and you may not remember exactly all the details.

I know that I am not the greatest log writer but I try to get a few lines at least, if only to show appreciation for the time and effort that went into creating the hide.

I think that most of the problems stem from mobile phone Geocaching.

Still it seems that is the way that caching is going these days and I guess to each his (or her) own. We the hiders will just have to put up with it or get out of the game entirely.

:stabby

chillibutts

Post by chillibutts » 06 July 11 10:28 pm

I am disappointed with some of the short logs that come though - I blame smart phones! As people log it immediately and as a result do not write very much (as as you say - sometimes nothing at all)

HOWEVER, many people put a lot of effort into logs, and I LOVE those! They inspire me to think of a new idea for a hide.

Only last week I was pondering "what if"... what if there was a "LIKE" function for logs, like facebook, so that I could "like" logs and acknowledge those creative and infomative logs. Maybe that will encourage people by thanking them for the effort.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 06 July 11 10:37 pm

chillibutts wrote:

Only last week I was pondering "what if"... what if there was a "LIKE" function for logs, like facebook, so that I could "like" logs and acknowledge those creative and infomative logs. Maybe that will encourage people by thanking them for the effort.
Already exists on GCA :D http://geocaching.com.au/cachers/likes/au - That's what that little 'thumbs-up' symbol is next to a log when you read it here on GCA. Just click it and the log is 'liked' by you.

We had this discussion quite recently about poor logs:

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =2&t=15032

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 06 July 11 10:41 pm

I put the following at the bottom of each cache page. And ruthlessly police it.
When logging your find on line,your feedback will be extremely useful - so please add something about your Geocaching experience in your log, even just the condition of the container would help. Logs that are blank, or only contain the words "sent from my mobile device" will be deleted.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 06 July 11 11:32 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:I put the following at the bottom of each cache page. And ruthlessly police it.
When logging your find on line,your feedback will be extremely useful - so please add something about your Geocaching experience in your log, even just the condition of the container would help. Logs that are blank, or only contain the words "sent from my mobile device" will be deleted.
I might do the same... backed up with an ironically templated email to the finder politely explaining the community aspect and maintenance assistance of writing at least a few words.

There is a also a GS Feedback topic you can support for the "Like" Function ....

The Silver Snitch
1000 or more caches found

Post by The Silver Snitch » 06 July 11 11:47 pm

I know sometimes people are on hols and if they don't log from a phone have 100s to log when they get home. I understand and accept one liners, cut and pasted into a variety of cache logs. I hate reading "99th out of today's 117 etc.">> boring comment but accepted. I also accept and understand the real logs containing just a stamp as they fly to the next one, (though I would rather read something AND MANY, MANY CACHERS ARE GUILTY OF THIS.

BUT a completely empty log is rude and maybe a mistake, so in this case deletion is fair. Then there is the case where we have all found THAT cache where you ask yourself WHY? Do you be rude about it, or simply write very little? However this latter is not really what we are talking about.
Me? I think I accept short logs. I will probably delete no text logs, and as for the others...I guess it depends how many you get as to how upset you get.
At the end of the day it is a game. A game we go to a lot of trouble over, but still a game.

I guess one thing we need to ask ourselves: Have we created an ALL ABOUT NUMBERS MONSTER???

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 07 July 11 12:14 am

I looked up the cacher(s) in question and found they'd logged many caches in the past few weeks and I only found three logs with ANY words in them (out of thirty or so).
I was thinking of finding their caches and doing the same but I'd assume they don't read the logs otherwise they'd care a bit more about the logs they leave.

I saw some talk on Groundspeak that you don't have to write anything anyway. Of course that turned into some flame war so I lost interest before the truth emerged.

Richary

Post by Richary » 07 July 11 1:16 am

As a hider I enjoy reading the logs on my caches. Did they enjoy the experience, did they have any problems, did they like the final location. A simple logged from phone or easy find diminishes the cache in my eyes as I try to put ones out that are in a certain historical area or somewhere special rather than just a boring drive by.

I have Geosphere on the iPhone and realise I can enter field notes that can then be uploaded, reviewed and submitted though I haven't tried it. I would rather enter logs on the PC when online as it is easier to type something meaningful than using the iPhone keypad (at least with my aging eyesight).

Technically if the finder has hid it and you can verify from the logbook you can't delete it, but a polite request to add something about the experience might give something. But I might start on some of the ones that contain a . and nothing else.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 07 July 11 8:21 am

Zalgariath wrote:I might do the same... backed up with an ironically templated email to the finder politely explaining the community aspect and maintenance assistance of writing at least a few words.

My way with words isn't always the best. All contributions for said email will be gratefully received.

shrek4
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by shrek4 » 07 July 11 9:38 am

As a cache owner, I must admit I enjoy reading find logs which are more than a few words. I've not yet encountered a log with NO words in it or 'sent from my mobile device' or similar =D> .

That being said, after reading the guidelines on Geocaching.com it seems there is no restriction on doing so. Seems writing a comment at all is considered an additional logging requirement and is OPTIONAL :-k .

Whilst that may seem to be the 'official' stance, I think it is rude [-X not to include a comment or at the very least a 'TFTC'.

3.1. Logging of All Physical Geocaches

This page is an extension of our Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines.

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed. An exception is Challenge Caches, which may only be logged online after the challenge requirements have been met and documented to the cache owner's satisfaction.

For physical caches all logging requirements beyond finding the geocache and signing the log are considered additional logging requirements (ALRs) and must be optional. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish such tasks. This is a guideline change that applies to all logs written since April 4, 2009. If you own an existing cache with mandatory additional logging requirements, we request that you:

Cease deleting logs based on ALRs.
Review your own cache listing to see if the ALR can be made into a simple, optional task, or whether it must be removed altogether.
Edit the text of your geocache listing and, if necessary, contact a reviewer to change the cache type.

http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... age&id=309

3.6. Log Book Etiquette

When you find a geocache, write the date of the visit, your username and the experience you had into the log book. You may want to share funny stories about your adventure, or tell about the condition of the cache and the area of the hide. Some people prefer to enter just their name into the log book. Others have special stamps, stickers or paper-punchers that leave signature marks in the pages.

Sometimes, for smaller cache containers, there is no book but only sheet. It is best to simply write your username and the date on these sheets.

http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... page&id=67

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 07 July 11 10:58 am

Given the above any opinions we have are just that. They can't be put into effect legally regardless of any warning. I'm not a lawyer though so will add that warning to my caches in the hope that I get more than a found log with no comments. There have been a couple of cachers travelling together who haven't made any comments. You scratch your head & wonder have they even found your cache. No comments & TNLNSL TFTC are equally irksome.

Wingaap

Post by Wingaap » 07 July 11 12:26 pm

rogerw3 wrote:](*,)
I do not enjoy reading the short or non existent logs some cachers leave on my caches, I would like some feedback on my placement, containers etc...

... few lines at least, if only to show appreciation for the time and effort that went into creating the hide.

...We the hiders will just have to put up with it or get out of the game entirely.

:stabby
Agreed!!

Some of my caches take weeks to construct (those that have found dak,fatso or HHOA will know the type of caches I create). I'm afraid a blank log or TFTC or find xx of xxx for the day just doesnt cut it with me.

There has often been comment about the falling quality of caches....perhaps it the falling quality of logs which has some bearing. I mean to say....I can spend weeks creating/welding a cache and get a blank log....or I can place an eclipse tin and get the same log. Why bother creating something different/special?

All a hider gets for their supporting the game is a log.....is a decent log to much to ask for?

If this trend continues I will be take the "get out of the game" option. Actually I'm already heading down that path....three blank/tftc/find xx of xxx for the day logs and the cache is gone. Good thing I'm moving to a bigger block, for I couldnt bear to destroy my caches...I guess I'll have a gallery in the back garden ...an emu, a wombat, R2D2, the black knight, possums, a little tart, etc etc etc all taking pride of place.

totalube

Post by totalube » 07 July 11 1:33 pm

Well I hope your caches stay, wingaap :D , I and most people love your work and show appreciate in their logs. For those that don't, some education is needed obviously, but some people are just thick! I usually send those people an email about their logs!

My take on writing logs is that I enjoy telling my story of a cache hide. I don't always write paragraphs, but I try and say something unique about that particular cache. Even if it is a poor hide I will say that, feedback is important to caching

And when it comes to a great hide (such as wingaap's) a tricky puzzle or a well designed multi, I HAVE to write a decent log, I can't just say "TFTC", I get enjoyment from writing a decent log telling my story, and I also get enjoyment telling the cache owner about my experiences.

I think, we should all make an effort to write to those people that give bad logs and tell them so, no need to be rude, but we need to tell them.