Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by bshwckr » 19 May 11 9:05 pm

Now that I have lots of data allowance and c:geo on the Nuvifone, today I loaded up "Live" maps and picked up 7 caches on my way home from Tamworth. This is about 6 more than I have done for the whole year to date. I can see me doing a lot more caching now.
Has anyone has worked out how to import all of the GCA caches so they show up in live map?

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 19 May 11 9:20 pm

bshwckr wrote:Now that I have lots of data allowance and c:geo on the Nuvifone, today I loaded up "Live" maps and picked up 7 caches on my way home from Tamworth. This is about 6 more than I have done for the whole year to date. I can see me doing a lot more caching now.
Has anyone has worked out how to import all of the GCA caches so they show up in live map?
In my experience c:geo wouldn't import caches from GCA which is why is switched to geohunter.

Since then i have switched to locus with offline OSM and a combined gpx overlaid that i exported from gsak

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 19 May 11 9:24 pm

bshwckr wrote:Now that I have lots of data allowance and c:geo on the Nuvifone, today I loaded up "Live" maps and picked up 7 caches on my way home from Tamworth. This is about 6 more than I have done for the whole year to date. I can see me doing a lot more caching now.
What do you call 'Live' maps?

GCA caches are supported in a lot of caching and mapping apps such as
Geohunter, Geobeagle, Cachemate, GeOrg, OpenGPX and a few others. (Cachemate works with GCA version 1.0 GPX's only)

I use GeOrg as my day to day caching app lately. It's not cheap, but I like it!

c:geo is GC only, at one point I used to be able to get it to work with a GSAK export, but last time I tried it didn't work. Contact the dev and see if he'll add support, we'd welcome it.

ashhhhh

Post by ashhhhh » 02 June 11 8:05 pm

I emailed the c:geo dev earlier today and he said he is working on support for all gpx files, rather than just gc.com
No idea of timeframe though.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 03 June 11 12:03 am

ashhhhh wrote:I emailed the c:geo dev earlier today and he said he is working on support for all gpx files, rather than just gc.com
No idea of timeframe though.
It already does doesn't it?
You press menu and then "Import GPX"
I haven't actually tried it with a GCA cache but I assume it would work? :-k

ashhhhh

Post by ashhhhh » 03 June 11 10:07 am

Yeah I made that assumption too, but it doesn't.

The developer said that there are some gc.com specific tags within their GPX files which are not present in GCA GPX files, it therefore skips them when importing.

bshwckr
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 03 June 11 11:13 am

CraigRat wrote:
What do you call 'Live' maps?

GCA caches are supported in a lot of caching and mapping apps such as
Geohunter, Geobeagle, Cachemate, GeOrg, OpenGPX and a few others. (Cachemate works with GCA version 1.0 GPX's only)

I use GeOrg as my day to day caching app lately. It's not cheap, but I like it!

c:geo is GC only, at one point I used to be able to get it to work with a GSAK export, but last time I tried it didn't work. Contact the dev and see if he'll add support, we'd welcome it.
"Live" maps loads geocaches from the GC database direct from the web and displays them on the map as you move. ie, if I was to drive from Sydney to Melbourne, I could start Live Maps in c:geo and as the map scrolls as I drive, geocaches will appear where they are on the map. There is no need to download any gpx file first. Obviously it uses my data allowance but this is no longer an issue.
So, what I would like, as well as GC caches appearing, GCA caches also appear. It would be great if this happened "live" but it would not be too bad if it was possible to pre-load them into the live map via a gpx file.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 June 11 11:28 am

Gotcha...

hopefully the c:geo guys make the GPX import work properly again

What happened in the past was that you could load in GPX files but any links you clicked automatically tried to take you to GC's site...even though the GPX file has the proper link for the caches page.... but at least the cache would appear on the maps and the details and all were displayable, but the logging via SMS functions etc obviously didn't work , then one day it ALL stopped.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 June 11 11:43 am

Shitty homegrown XML parser?
They should inspect the xmlns (XML NameSpace) attribute to determine how to look at custom namespaces.

ashhhhh

Post by ashhhhh » 03 June 11 12:51 pm

"It's not about GPX (even when they are not in single format). It's about that c:geo is designed to be used with geocaching.com and uses GC-code as unique identifiers of caches. So if it doesn't find GC-code in GPX, it skip it because it can't save that.

Yes, I will change c:geo to make it usable with different opencaching/geocaching sites."

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 June 11 4:44 pm

caughtatwork wrote:homegrown XML parser?
They should inspect the xmlns (XML NameSpace) attribute to determine how to look at custom namespaces.
Most of the apps I've reviewed don't actually parse XML properly, a lot use trickery such as regexps etc...REAL NASTY

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 June 11 5:25 pm

CraigRat wrote:
Most of the apps I've reviewed don't actually parse XML properly, a lot use trickery such as regexps etc...REAL NASTY

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 03 June 11 6:44 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
Reminds me of the Dilbert that was published the VERY day I got my first MCSE

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 07 July 11 12:11 am

I finally got an Android phone last week (Desire Z) and downloaded c:geo. So far I'm impressed. As was already mentioned, it doesn't handle multis well, but it's fine for traditionals.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 07 July 11 7:41 am

RobWinmar wrote:I finally got an Android phone last week (Desire Z) and downloaded c:geo. So far I'm impressed. As was already mentioned, it doesn't handle multis well, but it's fine for traditionals.
Give GeoHunter a go. For Multi's it is good.