TomTom- In Car - suction cup

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found

TomTom- In Car - suction cup

Post by Agent Basil » 08 April 11 9:17 am

The TomTom suction cup performance, when cool isn't real good! Will drop from the windscreen quite regularly. Any tips for a better stick ? Once the day heats up, it seems to stay put, despite driving on all sorts of rough roads.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Re: TomTom- In Car - suction cup

Post by Tuena » 08 April 11 9:41 am

I have a RAM mount for my handheld however it too falls off intermittently in all conditions so I wouldn't recommend you go down this path. Perhaps the old idea of a bit of moisture on the suction cap would work.

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 08 April 11 10:45 am

I have the exact same issue with my garmin in car thingie.
I tried licking-and-sticking (eeeewwww), didnt work.
I tried double sided tape (hey, i was desprate!), it didnt work (no suprises there)
I tried putting the gps in the ..i cant think of what it's called (Tray thing, that normally holds shit like parking tickets and such) ...and it was really hard to hear/slightly illegal to look at. :(

I really wouldnt mind knowing this too.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 08 April 11 10:49 am

I think cleaning the surface thoroughly helps. I've found that the cup doesn't like to stick where it has been stuck before so I assume it's the accumulated muck that makes it drop off.

Gives one quite the shock when the GPS drops off sometimes!

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 08 April 11 8:37 pm

Pesky! wrote:Image
You gotta laugh at this one. Not sure if it would actually work. Something about hammers and nails not quite going well with sheets of glass! =D> :lol:

Keeper of Time
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Keeper of Time » 08 April 11 8:47 pm

Cleaning the windscreen helps, I tend to fix Tom Tom at the bottom of the screen so that the power connector is resting on the dash hence supporting the unit. Even then it has been known to slide off, glad it's not gone out the open drivers window 8-[ .

The Tardis Trio
Twitter: dpeters101

Post by The Tardis Trio » 08 April 11 8:49 pm

Have you got one of the newer TomTom suction cups with the twist lock?
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 29,r:2,s:0

These are much better than the older ones (for me anyway).

I'm in the habit of tightening the twist lock each time I get in the car and turn the TomTom on. I find with large temperature changes (cold night or hot day) it has started to "un-turn" a little. Keeping it tight every day has prevented it coming off. Only happens once or twice a month now.

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 08 April 11 8:53 pm

Yep, I have one of those twist locks. I am guilty of not having cleaned that part of a window since starting to use it. A word of caution to you though in keeping yours permanently attached - very attractive to thieves. I have also heard that thieves look for cars with the tell-tale marks of suction cup marks knowing that there may be easy pickings lying on the floor

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 08 April 11 9:38 pm

Went caching in the Southern Highlands today & at one stage parked the UAV & walked down to the cache. When I got back there was the RAM mount having a rest on the dash. My Nuvi mount has never failed.

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 09 April 11 11:01 am

Pesky! wrote:Image
That is actually very funny :D

However you don't need the nails to be that long - unless you want to be doubly sure and bend the ends over to prevent them from coming out.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 09 April 11 6:27 pm

1: As previously stated, clean your windscreen
2: When in the relaxed mode when you push the holder onto the windscreen push VERY HARD. You want to get as much of the air out as possible.

I have a Navman mount and an after market one for my phone. When they are falling off I find I am guilty of not pushing hard enough (or my wife has put it on and she just doesn't have the strength), or the windscreen is dirty. Otherwise mine tend to stay put quite well. My Navman mount has been in place for weeks.

When I first got the Navman I didn't even know it had the little lever to pull the inside of the cup out, yet I still managed to get it to stick some of the time.

RE: The empty mount being attractive to thieves. I think that the fact that GPSr's are so ubiquitous now and often cost only $100 that they aren't the big ticket item they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Besides, most of the thieves probably own iPhones :twisted: :twisted: so don't need a GPS

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 09 April 11 10:15 pm

bubbles_baby123 wrote:I have the exact same issue with my garmin in car thingie.
I tried double sided tape (hey, i was desprate!), it didnt work (no suprises there)
I tried putting the gps in the ..i cant think of what it's called (Tray thing, that normally holds shit like parking tickets and such) ...and it was really hard to hear/slightly illegal to look at. :(

I had the same problem with garmin my quuen bought me a ram mount a few birthdays back - it worked for me - solved the problem.

waterlogged
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by waterlogged » 10 April 11 1:18 am

A couple of 10 gauge screws into the dash works wonders.

My GPS has fallen off once. :D :D

Also having an older van with a few holes in the dash helps as two more won't make a difference.

Cheers

PS. clean the glass and the suction cup

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 17 April 11 7:44 pm

bubbles_baby123 wrote:I have the exact same issue with my garmin in car thingie.

We had the same problem with our Car Garmin Dashboard Mount until I got the super super super strength double sided sticky and then didnt actually put the GPS suction cup and GPS onto the base for about 48 hours by which time it was really holding in place. It's only come off once since ..... when MMelb (geojunior) was taking the GPS off the base and didnt unlock the release thingy and he pulled too hard ..... ](*,) lol but its been fine again since with a new application of the tape.

Um now I 'spose you want the name of the tape and I'd give it to you if I could find it lol..... as soon as I do I will let you know..... :oops:

GJMMelb