For the pedants amongst us ...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Re: For the pedants amongst us ...

Post by J_&_J » 20 January 11 6:49 pm

TeamCassie wrote:ACDRNDICG TO RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR WAHT OERDR THE LTTERES IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTTEER BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE.

okay yes I am a smarty pants \:D/

I have heard of that phenomenon before, and reading your post proves it, to me at least!

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 20 January 11 6:53 pm

TeamCassie wrote:ACDRNDICG TO RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR WAHT OERDR THE LTTERES IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTTEER BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE.

okay yes I am a smarty pants \:D/
The really scary thing is I am slightly dyslexic, yet I could read every word of that as if it was correct :shock:

I also have no problem reading and writing mirror image... so that might have helped.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 January 11 9:02 pm

¿spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpısdn ʇnoqɐ ʍoH

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 20 January 11 9:17 pm

caughtatwork wrote:¿spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpısdn ʇnoqɐ ʍoH
No problems :D There was an example of of that Cambridge thing that was not really readable using a specific mixing algorithm but I cant find it #-o

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 20 January 11 9:39 pm

Zalgariath wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:¿spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpısdn ʇnoqɐ ʍoH
No problems :D There was an example of of that Cambridge thing that was not really readable using a specific mixing algorithm but I cant find it #-o
Zal, you just had no trouble reading it upside down becasue you're on the wrong side of the world now :D ie, you're standing on your head anyway :lol:

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 18 March 11 4:20 am

](*,) Came across this one today... now my head hurts... and it was an LPC! :stabby

http://coord.info/GC2AMTP

just a little cach in ashby as i look on googel earth and found there are not meny at all this cach is on top of a hill and is based upon a cach and dash you can park in the grave yard but be quick this cach is located on the main road so please be carful with geokids with you and again not to get cought dogs are not allowed in the grave yard but there is no need for to to go into the gaveyard as the cach is located at the bottom of the lampost out side

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 18 March 11 9:11 am

Zalgariath wrote:](*,) Came across this one today... now my head hurts... and it was an LPC! :stabby

http://coord.info/GC2AMTP

just a little cach in ashby as i look on googel earth and found there are not meny at all this cach is on top of a hill and is based upon a cach and dash you can park in the grave yard but be quick this cach is located on the main road so please be carful with geokids with you and again not to get cought dogs are not allowed in the grave yard but there is no need for to to go into the gaveyard as the cach is located at the bottom of the lampost out side
Argh! My eyes! :shock:

Note that no one has commented on the appalling spelling and grammar and whatever other crimes against the English language you see there. Too polite?

What I thought was funny is that the reviewer took it upon her(?)self to suggest adding some attributes and yet made no comment on all that verbal diarrhoea!
Hi there
I've published your cache but you might like to add attributes to help other cachers with additional information about your cache, for example whether it takes less than an hour or is a significant hike or perhaps there are some specific things like no dogs or it is suitable for baby buggies or wheelchairs. You can add an attribute to show something is allowed or not allowed. When you do a pocket query search for caches you can use the attributes to find those with or without specific features. Attributes are added from the Navigation box on the right.

Many thanks,

Antheia
Volunteer UK Reviewer - geocaching.com
UK Geocaching Information & Resources site

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

The Slow, Sad Death of the English Language

Post by pjmpjm » 18 March 11 10:34 am

Yurt wrote: Note that no one has commented on the appalling spelling and grammar and whatever other crimes against the English language you see there. Too polite? What I thought was funny is that the reviewer took it upon her(?)self to suggest adding some attributes and yet made no comment on all that verbal diarrhoea!

We old English teachers have long since given up on the human race -- or at least the part that purports to speak English!

That so many people don't recognise almost incomprehensible spelling and grammatical mistakes is bad enough . . .

But that so many don't even care is even worse!

Anyhow, it's nice to run into threads like this where a faithful few try to maintain some semblance of proper English usage, against all odds!

gd___
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Re: The Slow, Sad Death of the English Language

Post by gd___ » 18 March 11 2:21 pm

pjmpjm wrote:
Yurt wrote: Note that no one has commented on the appalling spelling and grammar and whatever other crimes against the English language you see there. Too polite? What I thought was funny is that the reviewer took it upon her(?)self to suggest adding some attributes and yet made no comment on all that verbal diarrhoea!

We old English teachers have long since given up on the human race -- or at least the part that purports to speak English!

That so many people don't recognise almost incomprehensible spelling and grammatical mistakes is bad enough . . .

But that so many don't even care is even worse!

Anyhow, it's nice to run into threads like this where a faithful few try to maintain some semblance of proper English usage, against all odds!
Yeah we need gooda teachas

Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Ozibags » 19 March 11 6:07 pm

Maybe someone needs to add a WIKI page on writing proper English.

Or maybe just address poor spelling by adding the suggestion to type all text into Microsoft Word first and use spellchecker, before cutting and pasting into GC.com or GCA.com.

OK, spellchecker is not perfect - it uses american English, and it accepts correctly-spelled words that may be out of context of the sentence - but it's better than some of the examples above! :?

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 19 March 11 7:24 pm

Ozibags wrote:Maybe someone needs to add a WIKI page on writing proper English.

Or maybe just address poor spelling by adding the suggestion to type all text into Microsoft Word first and use spellchecker, before cutting and pasting into GC.com or GCA.com.

OK, spellchecker is not perfect - it uses american English, and it accepts correctly-spelled words that may be out of context of the sentence - but it's better than some of the examples above! :?
You can set it to "Australian" or "UK" English... which still accepts 'center' and 'color' I might add :stabby , but wont tell you 'colour' and 'centre' are wrong.... I still had to teach it 'bonza', 'G'day', and 'drongo' however... :lol:

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 19 March 11 8:03 pm

Or maybe there is a very good reason that the cache hider's language skills aren't perfect and the reviewer knows about it?

Kellyansapansa
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: SaySoWeddings

Post by Kellyansapansa » 19 March 11 9:52 pm

I saw a fabulous show at the Adelaide Fringe on this very topic - for those of you in Melbourne it's coming soon and worth a look.

http://www.funnymark.com/2011info.htm

mark_rattigan
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: m_ratt

Post by mark_rattigan » 20 March 11 10:42 am

Alansee wrote:Or maybe there is a very good reason that the cache hider's language skills aren't perfect and the reviewer knows about it?
Surely in that case a reviewer would be well placed to provide assistance/guidance in improving them?

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 26 March 11 12:20 am

Would like to think so, I mean, what's the harm in politely telling someone their spelling is unreadable and wrong?

Are the reviewers allowed to alter it themselves??