Garmin GPSmap 62s

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Garmin GPSmap 62s

Post by PesceVerde » 29 January 11 12:14 am

Blindman Walking wrote:Hi guys, I've been given a quote for a 62S + Aus Topo + Blue charts for $600

Should I jump on it? I'll be using it for bush walking/hiking, on my kayak & a bit of caching & road work
Hi. The price looks good if the maps are genuine. I wish I had the option of "Garmin Topo Australia" and "Garmin Bluecharts" maps for an extra $150 odd dollars when buying my 62S!

At the moment I've the OSM street maps and and couple of converted shape files for topo. :gnome

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 29 January 11 12:22 am

DISK wrote:I projected a waypoint using 'Sight'N Go' which kind of worked OK, but couldn't get the bearing exact.
Is this the only way to project? If so, is there a way of manually getting the bearing exact (or do I just need more practice)?
Hi. You need more practice. :) :)

If your GPSr is a Garmin handheld of fairly recent vintage, you can also try Mark>Menu>Project Waypoint> ... and enter bearing, distance, etc. in there. :gnome

sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found

Post by sirius Tas » 29 January 11 8:00 am

I have the Garmin Aus Topo...and don't bother using it any more....a total waste of time.
The only maps worth buying are the OzTopo v2.1b (at present) with v3 out some time soon(I hope).
I run OzTopo on my Nuvi 1450T(5 inch screen)...plus computer...and have found these maps to be the ducks guts for Geocaching...a great planning tool with so much detail...even down to some really obscure walking tracks.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 29 January 11 8:32 pm

sirius Tas wrote:I have the Garmin Aus Topo...and don't bother using it any more....a total waste of time.
What version are you talking about? V2 or V3?

DISK
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by DISK » 29 January 11 9:16 pm

Thanks PesceVerde,
I think that will only work if you adjust the co-ords to the original before you project, as it comes up with your current co-ords.
Definitely will have the accuracy required.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 29 January 11 10:31 pm

How about
press Mark
press Menu
select Project Waypoint, press Enter
enter in your preferred degrees, select Done, press Enter
select Metres (for example), press Enter
etc. etc. I have a 62S with version 2.80 software/firmware.

Or maybe try the "Measure" tool in a program like Basecamp. :)

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 30 January 11 8:50 am

Dooghan wrote:
sirius Tas wrote:I have the Garmin Aus Topo...and don't bother using it any more....a total waste of time.
There is no version #...Garmin Australian...Topo plus 2007...which is 10m contours for all Australia.
We may be talking about different things??
Sounds like you're refering to the 0ztopo product sold by GPSOZ.....which I have as above and totally recommend.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 30 January 11 6:11 pm

sirius Tas wrote:
Dooghan wrote:
There is no version #...Garmin Australian...Topo plus 2007...which is 10m contours for all Australia.
We may be talking about different things??
Sounds like you're refering to the 0ztopo product sold by GPSOZ.....which I have as above and totally recommend.
I thought you were talking about Garmin Topo Australia. Now I'm with you. You were talking about Johnny Appleseed's GPS TopoPlus. Forget my version comment then.