Suggestion for Moveable Caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
TallPaulF

Suggestion for Moveable Caches

Post by TallPaulF » 22 January 11 10:55 am

I've been having fun with the latest moving cache race :gnome :gnomette , but it isn't too easy to be sure that a cache is still there to be found.
Perhaps an additional log type would help - "Found and picked up" or some-such - then it would be obvious in the query results that the cache is being held by a cacher and is not available at the listed coordinates.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Re: Suggestion for Moveable Caches

Post by Captain Terror » 22 January 11 12:44 pm

Surely you could just look for it, it's obviously already in an area you're going to be searching, and if it's not there you could just log a DNF like you would any other cache.

The joys of a moveable cache race. Exectly that, first in gets the cache for that location.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 January 11 5:31 pm

But what if they found it before you got there and logged in after you'd been there.
There is no real time tracking of caches, so the time between finding and logging means you're in the dark so to speak.
This comes up every couple of months and (trust me) there is no answer.

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 22 January 11 6:20 pm

The fun of the moving cache race is the fact that you never know if it will be there... that's the nature of the game. Adds a degree of excitement, plus encourages you to read all previous logs. No need for change, I reckon!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 22 January 11 6:27 pm

Actually, I reckon this game encourages you to go out at wierd hours of the night becasue, that way, you can be fairly certain the cache is still there :D Although the darkness can be a bit of a hindrance :o

My personal preference is to go after work on a Friday evening. This seems to work really well becasue it seems most other cachers have a life and go out on Friday nights. Only blossom*s seem to stay in. And that gets boring. So you can check the lastest "moved" logs and plan a route to pick up whatever suits you and head out too.

Another perfect time is 6am Sunday morning. I think the same logic applies here. Most other cachers have a late night for one reason or another on Saturdays and like to sleep in the next morning. But blossom*s get bored with TV very early on Saturday nights and can get up at the crack of dawn on Sunday. With no traffic on the road, it's really easy to chase gnomes around the countryside then. :gnomette

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 22 January 11 7:32 pm

When i was on holidays from work, it was excellent. I could go any time.

Now i'm back at work, after work seems to be a good choice. No one else seems to go a gnome huntin after work..

(Ah, i think i should utilise the park outside my work..if i can watch other people gnome hunt whilst i'm stuck doing filing, that might make me a little happier. :D)

hgl
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: craigjw

Post by hgl » 23 January 11 12:04 am

caughtatwork wrote:But what if they found it before you got there and logged in after you'd been there.
There is no real time tracking of caches, so the time between finding and logging means you're in the dark so to speak.
Agreed, you just have to learn to use the technology to track what is going on and expect that you may go looking for something that is not there .. I have done this a few times, which is not much fun with two small geoKids - it's all part of the game :)

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 23 January 11 8:20 am

Captain Terror wrote: and if it's not there you could just log a DNF like you would any other cache.
I would like to know how many actually do log DNFs. Having overheard conversations and seen log references There seems to be a huge aversion to logging a DNF. Why?

Cheers Quilter

TallPaulF

Post by TallPaulF » 23 January 11 7:34 pm

caughtatwork wrote:But what if they found it before you got there and logged in after you'd been there.
I have no issue with a cache being moved on while I'm looking for it, and then it gets logged later. As others have pointed out, that's part of the fun of movable caches. Re-reading my original post, I see I didn't state the issue properly at all...

For the moveable caches, I run a query to find them centered on where I want to go hunting. Then I only consider those that had a last log of 'moved'. So far, so good.

The problem is, some of those with a last log of 'found' did not get moved, and they tend to remain in their current position for ages because no one expects them to be there. Especially if it is not obvious in the log that the cache was left in place.