Trig points - a general discussion

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Trig points - a general discussion

Post by Yurt » 10 January 11 12:20 pm

So how is everyone enjoying chasing down trigs, if you do? It's fun to try and find some of them and it offers something in an area if there are no caches, or not many.

What's been interesting has been trying to find new ones in our local area. Every time I pass a water tower I have a good look for a trig and have found and published a few. I'm not the only one around here.

I'm not sure what the origin of the coordinates for the original feed of trigs on 1 September 2009 was but they seem pretty accurate. I assume it's Geoscience Australia however I've looked up more trigs on their site and found quite a few listed in the local area that aren't on GCA yet. The coordinates given are only rounded down so they seem to be a km or so off. I've spotted more trigs on old maps and looked them up on Geoscience. Have found the name there but can't work out where to look for the trig as the coords are too rough. I assume if I had proper topo maps I could work out coords from them.

Anyway just what to see what people think. It's rather fascinating.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Re: Trig points - a general discussion

Post by Tuena » 10 January 11 1:25 pm

I started off in a mad rush & found quite a few but have since slowed down. Probably because I have found most of the local ones. I prefer trigs in rural areas but may consider looking for the new additions in the western parts of Sydney & will travel to the ACT in Autumn to find a few there. At least they don't move!

I've added around a dozen myself, the majority using topo maps. I use the topos to find the trig, take a reading & note the name on the plaque. I then look them up on GeoScience Aust & generally find the co-ords supplied by the latter to be well out. Examples are Termeil & Little Forest. The co-ords supplied by GeoSc for Termeil were over 800 metres out & Little Forest much the same. They have a disclaimer on their site explaining that locations can be up to 1.8Ks out.

I assume the original download in 9/09 was for trigs that GeoSc could guarantee the accuracy of. Like you I look at water towers hoping to see a trig - Numbaa comes to mind.

I still have a few to add based on topos but most are remote, in thick scrub & there are no tracks.

My favourites are both in Kangaroo Valley - Red Rocks for the wonderful view & Moollattoo for what I saw on the way.

I thoroughly enjoy Trigs.

If I could get permission the trig I would most like to do is on Mount Michelago.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 11 January 11 7:11 pm

Is there a preservation order for trigs? I was wondering if they are to be preserved if a housing estate ends up on top of them (not likely in most locations of course).

Does anyone know when the trigs were placed? The ones with plaques and names that I've seen tend to be around 1973 or 74. I haven't seen later than that but they appear on maps from the 1920s at least. It's a pity so many have been vandalised.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 11 January 11 7:27 pm

We (Wacky's and I) have played a game with the kids when travelling Tasmania.

1pt Trig spotted first - on GPS (not visited)
2pt Trig spotted first - not on GPS (not visited)
3pt Visited trig - on GPS
5pt Visited trig - not on GPS

Chugger won with 70+ points after 8 weeks. Certainly keeps the kids looking out the windows!

WaldenClan
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by WaldenClan » 11 January 11 9:29 pm

I too usually keep an eye out for them when i'm out travelling on rural roads. I have logged a few and have found some that are clearly on private property.
I have wondered in the past why some were placed were placed where they are and who actually used them. Those trig that are located on the top of a mountain where no one can get too or see if its hidden in bush, whats the point of it.

Still doesn't stop me from looking for them and logging when i can. I also now have the kids will trained and they will yell out of they spot one.

-PJ-

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 12 January 11 1:51 pm

Tuena wrote:....I've added around a dozen myself,....take a reading & note the name on the plaque.
We have been logging trig points/stations, mainly because there are a lot of caches around here (Mid North coast) that are on top of hard to get to mountains, so after the effort and adventure of the climb (eg http://coord.info/GC256YN) it is rewarding to score another cache - albeit being a GCA cache :P

We don't log trig points/stations that are "just lying around" suburban streets on water towers and buildings (there's one on top of our apartment building!!) as we don't see much of a challenge in doing those - just our personal choice of course. Having said that we found a trig station on top of a water tower in Rudd Park, Kempsey. Took a photo, but when I was trying to post it, I didn't know the official name. So I didn't post it.

honeysucker

Post by honeysucker » 12 January 11 4:55 pm

i like the idea of the trigs
But remember if you see a trig in the middle of a paddock it is important you seek permission to go to the Trigg as they are on private land i have noticed in my area a few people have trekked across to the points. you dont know the property owner may have a crops in and you are damaging it most farmers wont have a prob if you ask.

just think would you like someone unknown wandering in your yard it is the same for a farmers property

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 18 January 11 10:43 pm

I'm thinking that trigs may well take the place of gnomes for us when all of this is over! I've been scanning the old maps of my area and have worked out where a few trigs might be. Those listed on GCA (the original upload) would constitute a small proportion of the number out there going by my findings.

What I have discovered is that in suburbia the trig may be gone but there may be a hatch like that for a fire hydrant in its place and inside is something like a survey mark and the name of the trig inside the hatch. The Canberra cachers have one like this I've seen on Black Mountain. Found a couple like this yesterday in northern Sydney and will log them. Pretty exciting actually.

Also I've discovered that there was a trig on top of a church in Ryde. I couldn't see anything on Google Earth but it could be like this one that's logged in Townsville. Might have a look.
Yenoor Area Trig

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 19 January 11 9:44 am

Haha I found that one too ;D

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 31 January 11 10:05 pm

Had great success "re-finding" lost trigs in the past couple of weeks. Many aren't on the GCA collection so spotting them on the old maps and then trying to determine some coordinates using Google Earth and Nearmap has been challenging to say the least. To the west of us most of them are either desperately hard to find or are gone. To the east and north we were lucky enough to find six at the weekend. Sometimes you can see the trig on Nearmap so that's handy. None of the old trigs appear to be on water tanks but they have probably replaced those nearby. They are easy enough to pick up on Google Earth from their shadows. Nearmap allows you to look at different clearer photos over time so you can see the trig shadow 'move'.

Mona Vale Road which heads to the northern beaches in Sydney had trigs every km or so back in the day (of the parish maps) but we haven't found any of them so assume they were removed when the road was duplicated way back when.

One thing we've found in Sydney is the more remote trigs have usually been vandalised but some others right in suburbia are intact!

big dazza
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by big dazza » 31 January 11 10:46 pm

I "found" a Trig in Bowen (Nth Qld) recently but it isn't listed. I'm sure I've seen it listed before (otherwise I wouldn't have known to go and look for it). Is it possible to view archived trig points?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 January 11 11:12 pm

Set up a my query with TrigPoints and select "archived".

Teirae
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Teirae » 02 February 11 11:05 pm

I love trig points. prob cause they are easy to find and i dont have to put my hands in scary holes =P

but yea, i find them just as enjoyable as caches

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Lots of New Trigs in Sydney

Post by pjmpjm » 03 February 11 3:54 pm

Yurt wrote:Had great success "re-finding" lost trigs in the past couple of weeks. Many aren't on the GCA collection so spotting them on the old maps and then trying to determine some coordinates using Google Earth and Nearmap has been challenging to say the least. To the west of us most of them are either desperately hard to find or are gone. To the east and north we were lucky enough to find six at the weekend. Sometimes you can see the trig on Nearmap so that's handy. None of the old trigs appear to be on water tanks but they have probably replaced those nearby. They are easy enough to pick up on Google Earth from their shadows. Nearmap allows you to look at different clearer photos over time so you can see the trig shadow 'move'.

Mona Vale Road which heads to the northern beaches in Sydney had trigs every km or so back in the day (of the parish maps) but we haven't found any of them so assume they were removed when the road was duplicated way back when.

One thing we've found in Sydney is the more remote trigs have usually been vandalised but some others right in suburbia are intact!
Yes, Nearmaps has proved to be a great resource for finding trigs. I used it more recently to investigate 'Maggie' at Hornsby Heights. And you're right -- it's surprising how much you can see on these aerial maps.

Am gradually working my way east (from Dural) to log all the new trigs which you're discovered. Was at Terrey Hills today, although this was one of the more 'boring' reservoir trigs. I enjoy them all, but the ancient, weather-beaten specimens on remote rocky outcrops are my favorites. rogerw3 re-discovered 'Castle Cliff' on Narrow Neck (near Katoomba) and that's been one of the most enjoyable that I've visited in recent months.

Thanks to you and rogerw3 for putting so many trigs back 'on the map' for us to find!

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 10 February 11 6:10 pm

For those who enjoy a tipple and a trig there's a wine for you!
http://prestige.premiergroup.net/store/ ... nPID=30245
It's from the US thus the odd looking trig.