Potential NZ MEGA Event 2012 - is there sufficient interest?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you attend a NZ MEGA Event proposed for Christchurch 2012 (indications only)

Poll ended at 04 January 11 10:46 am

Yes - I'd attend - there's only one person in my group
15%
Yes - two of us would attend
26%
Yes - three or more of us (eg a family group) will attend together
25%
I'm unsure - 2012 is just too far away
21%
I'm unsure - I'd prefer somewhere else in NZ
1%
I'd rather not attend thankyou
12%
I've already voted on this question in another online geocaching forum
2%

Total votes: 151

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Potential NZ MEGA Event 2012 - is there sufficient interest?

Post by CraigRat » 18 December 10 8:26 pm

I'm not sure if it's become a NZ vs AU contest

For us it was a matter of getting our heads around going to NZ for a MEGA and talking ourselves in to it THEN you guys announced the OZ one after there was months of certain organisers saying they'd never do it again etc etc, so for us the NZ one was what we'd already focused on.

It really was a matter of you guys playing your cards too late for our clan, and frankly the thought of going OS for a mega is a little more exciting for us.

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 18 December 10 8:53 pm

The intent of this thread seems to be seeking comments on continued interest for the proposal for a 2012 event. :idea:

Re-affirming support is NOT a mark of non support for an Australian event on my part. :-k

Unfortunately attending two major events in the same year both of which would require some travel planning and negotiations with employers for leave is not a straight forward issue for many of us trying to maintain a work life balance.

Many people would no-doubt love to attend both events. Reality is that it will prove to be a difficult choice to make. :-k
Last edited by ruzzelz on 18 December 10 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 18 December 10 9:02 pm

Back to the original post,
October would suit us better.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 18 December 10 10:28 pm

Ok, I have been watching both announcement posts with quite some feelings of discomfort about the undercurrents going on beneath it all.

I saw the NZ post come up and I felt like it was them just putting their feelers out, I also got the impression that nothing so far had even been planned, they were just telling people they were prepared to put themselves on the job and see if it could be done.

I then saw the Oz mega event thread pop up almost as if they feared that if they didn't hurry up and stick what they had up now, they might just lose everyones interest from the very get go....which it seems, they kinda have, a little sad really.

I feel a little sad for the Nz people as I don't really think this ought to be a battle for peoples interest at all.
I really don't see the need for all the "underhanded" snobbery of either event in favour of one or the other either!

On a happier note -
mtbikeroz wrote: I would be very keen on visiting NZ again, not only to see many of the sights again, but to also attend a MEGA and find 15+++ caches too. Hopefully with a family member...
Yes Dad, I would Love to join you, just have to find babysitters!
(however, I shan't be riding with you as I simply cannot keep up with you!!)

Tealby
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Tealby » 18 December 10 10:52 pm

All being well, I'll happily attend BOTH events - regardless of what is happening in Australia, an Oct date would suit me better as I hope to get to Rotorua in March for the 2 day walking festival there and then there is the 2 day walk in Canberra with Easter the week after, so it will be a very busy time for me. I'm confident there is sufficient (and growing) interest in caching to support 2 MEGA events in this region per year. There will always be folks that miss out for work / family / budget reasons, so the more options available, the more likely something will suit & give people an opportunity to experience the fun.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 December 10 3:29 am

I've already said I would attend, and whether or not there is an Oz Mega on the same year won't affect my choice to come over. Unless it is on the same weekend of course, then I have to choose!

But if the NZ mega is earlier or later than the new Oz one, I will be there. Would love to meet some of the NZ cachers and find some South Island caches.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 19 December 10 8:12 am

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:It would certainly give us a reason to go and get our passports. For Mrs Bundy and I, I think a hire campervan would be the go, unless we decided to freight over the bike and trailer.

Now to start stocking up on LED throwies. I wonder how I get a suitcase full of them through customs?

Cheers
Bundy
Quoting my original answer here, and now that the Australian event has been announced, we are looking at the logistics of attending both events, so with Easter 2012 announced for Oz, then our preference for NZ would now be October.

Bugger, 2 lots of throwies to buy.

Cheers
Bundy

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 19 December 10 9:25 am

We'd just like to reaffirm our great interest in a NZ Mega event - Oct 2012 would be best for us...

The Wackys
2250 or more geocaches found
2250 or more geocaches found

Post by The Wackys » 19 December 10 11:39 am

Same here - my intention to attend has absolutely nothing to do with the crap that's going on re the Australian event - I'd love to attend both, but at this point it's looking like it will only be NZ for the reasons I'd already given in the Australian 'concerns' forum, and now additionally for the fact that there is so much crap going on in that same forum - it's all put such a dampener on attending the Australian event, that I won't even bother considering it any further at this point

So roll on NZ's first mega event - please don't let the destructive few over here destroy what can be a wonderful event for so many!!!

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by honeysucker » 19 December 10 12:02 pm

Hi Guys i have had to change my post from will Attend to poss attend this is due to sitting down and doing the costs with no details of what you are planing your costs and how i can travel stay for awhile i will revert back to the poss it may change again when you make some plans aval.

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 19 December 10 6:01 pm

Just reiterating my hopes that a NZ event goes ahead, and my intention to attend same as well as the Aus one.

Hopefully the almost inevitable flack over the Aus one doesn't put NZ off. [-o<

backPAQer

Post by backPAQer » 19 December 10 6:54 pm

Choice Eh Brew? Will there be plenkton? or even chups?
Will be three uv us there brew. Packin tha chully bins and puttin on the jandals and peckin a pullover or sux.

sully1
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by sully1 » 19 December 10 8:19 pm

Re-iterating my intention to attend, despite all the goings on over the Oz Mega. I shall certainly be attending NZ, in whichever year you decide to proceed.

team ermalesh
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by team ermalesh » 19 December 10 8:34 pm

As we have never travelled to New Zealand before - count us in - all 5 of us!
It would be a wonderful opportunity to take the kids to a country we have always wanted to see - and having a MEGA event to attend would be the icing on the cake for us!
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by pjamesk » 19 December 10 9:56 pm

count me in for two or possibly three, I have been looking for an excuse to travel to NZ