Cemetery Caching ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found

Cemetery Caching ?

Post by ruzzelz » 02 December 10 9:58 pm

Did you know?

The South Carolina House of Representatives passed Bill 3777 in 2005, stating, "It is unlawful for a person to engage in the activity of geocaching or letterboxing in a cemetery or in an historic or archeological site or property publicly identified by an historical marker without the express written consent of the owner or entity which oversees that cemetery site or property."

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Re: Cemetery Caching ?

Post by blossom* » 02 December 10 10:01 pm

ruzzelz wrote:Did you know?

The South Carolina House of Representatives passed Bill 3777 in 2005, stating, "It is unlawful for a person to engage in the activity of geocaching or letterboxing in a cemetery or in an historic or archeological site or property publicly identified by an historical marker without the express written consent of the owner or entity which oversees that cemetery site or property."
Well luckily we don't live in South Carolina

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 02 December 10 10:03 pm

Gee!
Bet half of the Southern Caroliners Don't know that!
How did you find that out?
Were you googling Laws about Geocaching?

ruzzelz

Post by ruzzelz » 02 December 10 10:12 pm

MtnLioness wrote:Gee!
Bet half of the Southern Caroliners Don't know that!
How did you find that out?
Were you googling Laws about Geocaching?

Yes - sort of - preparing a submission on geocaching for Brisbane City Council trying ensure continued access to natural bushland areas.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 02 December 10 10:15 pm

Please do not feed any more fuel into the fire particularly here in NSW. We don't need any more resistance!!!! :shock:

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 02 December 10 10:39 pm

ruzzelz wrote:. . . without the express written consent of the owner or entity which oversees that cemetery site or property."
Entity -- Is that like ghosts?

tronador

Post by tronador » 02 December 10 10:47 pm

SamWalkers wrote:
ruzzelz wrote:. . . without the express written consent of the owner or entity which oversees that cemetery site or property."
Entity -- Is that like ghosts?
Hey I think the residents would love a few caches to play with..... it adds a whole new meaning to night caching. :D

ruzzelz

Post by ruzzelz » 02 December 10 10:51 pm

blossom* wrote:

Well luckily we don't live in South Carolina

Live or die??????

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 10 12:03 am

Most cemeteries in South Carolina are on private property, so that's the key reason for the law.

V&J
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by V&J » 03 December 10 7:13 pm

I dont think caches should be placed at cemetery just isnt right... [-(

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 03 December 10 7:29 pm

It's an interesting question isn't it.
I quite like visiting the old pioneer cemeteries and it is possible to hide caches tastefully.
I'm not sure whether we should be caching in active cemeteries, especially near grave sites.
It's not a good look to be fossicking around when people may be emotionally involved nearby, grieving or paying respect to recently departed family or friends.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 03 December 10 10:53 pm

V&J wrote:I dont think caches should be placed at cemetery just isnt right... [-(
I understand your concern. However, I've been to a number of very historic cemetries for a cache and it was really great to have been shown the place. For example, Australia's oldest http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1GZ0E is, as the heading suggest, the oldest survising cemetry in Australia. Of course it's not used now but contains a lot of very historic grave sites. Luckily it's quite well maintained and I don't think it is disrespectful to go there and see the history and find the cache that brought you there.

I've also been to some very old (and ununsed) cemetries that are not maintained at all. They're generally very peaceful spots with a lot of history and I like caches that show me some of these places. Usually the GZ is on the boundary or some area that is not near the graves. I haven't been to any where the cache was hidden near a grave area - I think that is wrong

But I do see that some people might not think it's right to have a cache in even an old and no longer used cemetery.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 December 10 11:12 pm

blossom* wrote:For example, Australia's oldest http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1GZ0E is, as the heading suggest, the oldest survising cemetry in Australia.
As the hider of that one, I guess I should comment. Firstly I love old cemeteries. And the sad thing about this one is despite it's historical value hardly anyone knows it exists. It hides behind a brick wall that nobody looks past as they drive up behind Westfield Parramatta. I only found out about it due to an article in the local paper.

While I could have just made it a traditional to attract more visitors that would have meant not taking you past the historic grave in question. As for the placement, it is certainly away from any graves and not in any way disrespectful.

That said, I have found many caches in cemeteries, some of which I have considered in poor taste. Such as one flat container slid under the side of an old grave in the Flinders Ranges. Generally though I have appreciated being brought to the place and the hides have been quite reasonable.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 04 December 10 9:59 am

I have no problem with cemetery hides, as long as they are respectful in nature - the best seem to be multi or puzzle caches which require you to atcually have a look around, there is a lot of hidden history in these spots!

Moneydork
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Moneydork » 05 December 10 10:03 am

I was already aware of the South Carolina situation.
Cemetery caches are pretty common here in New Zealand - I've placed a couple and done many of them.
As long as they're tastefully done and don't actually involve interfering with grave sides, etc then I'm fine with them.