Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by nibbler » 16 November 10 12:52 pm

Ok then use a Mac and you wont need Avg. There I said it ( tongue firmly in cheek) :-"
No replies necessary :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 16 November 10 1:02 pm

covert wrote:If the device was to be used for read only (eg a video / sound file) the device could be hardware modded to not allow writing. I have been toying with this idea as a way to stop accidental deletion of the file.
Very easy - glue a write protected SD card into a USB SC card reader :mrgreen:

The Empire
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Empire » 16 November 10 1:03 pm

nibbler wrote:Ok then use a Mac and you wont need Avg. There I said it ( tongue firmly in cheek) :-"
No replies necessary :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
=D>

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 16 November 10 1:07 pm

nibbler, The Empire. Please respect the ops request to not talk about AV's etc in this thread.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 16 November 10 1:10 pm

Philipp wrote:Very easy - glue a write protected SD card into a USB SC card reader :mrgreen:
I like that simple approach. I would of lifted the WE (Write Enable) pin on the NAND chip itself.

The Empire

Post by The Empire » 16 November 10 3:32 pm

covert wrote:nibbler, The Empire. Please respect the ops request to not talk about AV's etc in this thread.
I think it's a valid issue in this thread. Security is everyone's concern - not all cachers are as tech savvy as others and would have concerns with this type of cache.

Philipp
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 16 November 10 4:22 pm

The Empire wrote:I think it's a valid issue in this thread. Security is everyone's concern - not all cachers are as tech savvy as others and would have concerns with this type of cache.
That issue has been discussed enough - the deaddrop has to be either a read-only device or a file-server with a complete and self-updating AV. Discussing which AV is best is kind of pointless in this thread so can we please just respect the ops request to not talk about AV's etc in this thread.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 16 November 10 4:32 pm

Convert ...noted !!! I'll abide by the rules :D No problems and cant wait for the cache

The Empire

Post by The Empire » 16 November 10 4:47 pm

Maybe I'm one of those not as savvy... Thanks.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 16 November 10 4:53 pm

To my way of thinking the Chirp has pretty much superceded this idea. It can give you a URL to the data and save you lugging your netbook/notebook around the place and having elicit relations with a strange dongle. :D

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 16 November 10 5:19 pm

gmj3191 wrote:To my way of thinking the Chirp has pretty much superceded this idea. It can give you a URL to the data and save you lugging your netbook/notebook around the place and having elicit relations with a strange dongle. :D
Good luck loading a video file onto a Chirp, or an image, or anything more than 50 characters.. :(
The current implementation of Chirp is extremely limited. Not too much thinking outside the square there. All it supplies is a method of supplying very limited information without needing to be close enough to read it with your eyes. Does the number of people who have found it count, ... no not really.You have to put something there, in this case a $20+ tag.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 16 November 10 6:06 pm

Zytheran wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:To my way of thinking the Chirp has pretty much superceded this idea. It can give you a URL to the data and save you lugging your netbook/notebook around the place and having elicit relations with a strange dongle. :D
Good luck loading a video file onto a Chirp, or an image, or anything more than 50 characters.. :(
The current implementation of Chirp is extremely limited. Not too much thinking outside the square there. All it supplies is a method of supplying very limited information without needing to be close enough to read it with your eyes. Does the number of people who have found it count, ... no not really.You have to put something there, in this case a $20+ tag.
I think you missed the bit about putting in a URL to the real data.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 16 November 10 6:21 pm

If you got them to watch a video accessed from a URL displayed on the chirp they would need a 3G modem and laptop anyway. Good luck trying to find a video format that will work on all 3G cell phones. Not to mention the incompatibility of a Garmin Chirp to all other GPS's beside the tiny list of comparable units. The chirp still has a limited audience.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 November 10 6:26 pm

Hmmm, a $20+ Chirp with a url that severely limits the number of caches who can actually find it, or a micro with an address written down that anyone can use. With the added bonus you actually have to find the micro rather than just get within Cooee of it.

I think the novelty will wear off fairly quickly once hiders start adding up the cost and the lack of finders. After all they are in effect a multi (though I know they have to be classified mystery if you need to find the chirp and can't do it another way). And how many finds does a multi get compared to a trad? Then take the percentage of cachers who own a Chirp enabled device and you can start to guess how many finders you will have.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 16 November 10 10:12 pm

Back onto Deaddrops so we dont end up merging with the "Chirp" thread... I think the read only way is the simplest and easiest solution. Plus USB sticks are a dime a Gig these days, cheaper then a Systema waypoint Id guess! Could be good fun, lots of potential here.