It seems bizarre to me ...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Re: It seems bizarre to me ...

Post by J_&_J » 04 October 10 2:33 pm

I think they are legit. It also seems they are from my area!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 298f3e3e2c

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 04 October 10 2:40 pm

caughtatwork wrote:People, people, people.
Let's not go casting aspersions upon anyone until we have facts.
Why do I need to remind y'all (collectively) that flinging pooh before determining facts is not an acceptable behaviour here.
Yes. Especially when this is Mollypoo's second log. Sounds promising that the cache and TB's may turn up.

I suspect the photo on the cache page is from the original planned location for the hotel, given the information on the GC forum link. You should also note the photos of all the TB's in the gallery. I found a Team Nano cache the other day - a lovely location hidden away.
Cheers 8)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 04 October 10 3:23 pm

Yes it is encouraging they have now logged 5 additional caches, and I thought team nano did a really good job of the hotel cache page. Hopefully we will get a happy ending in the next day or two :D

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 04 October 10 5:18 pm

and then it gets wierder again... another new player has "found" the cache well muggled nearby, contacted the owner and rehiden the cache... :shock: This is a story for the Lost & Found files!

belken

Post by belken » 04 October 10 5:31 pm

So this supposed newcomer made a mistake and then threw the contents around and went caching again. I thought it was crap and still do.

Frogglin
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: Frogglin

Post by Frogglin » 04 October 10 5:32 pm

It sounds like maybe they got the message about not keeping the caches and panicked, chucked it back near where they found it perhaps?

I don't know, I tend to like to believe good things about people, so we'll see.

PirateRock
950 or more random things achieved

Post by PirateRock » 04 October 10 5:46 pm

I think that it's important to not put the cache hider on trial in a public forum/domain.

Regardless of what the circumstances are, and what opinions people have formed, as log as the travel bugs are put back into circulation that is the main issue.

I have had another coin owner contact me who isn't happy about the whole thing either, but as long as they are either returned to us, or sent on their missions, I'll be happy.

Either way, Groundspeak are investigating the issue and I'm sure that they would record things like IPs etc.. when people write logs, so let's try not to persecute them here.

I'm hoping for a safe return of all the trackables.
Last edited by PirateRock on 06 October 10 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

belken

Post by belken » 04 October 10 5:56 pm

The cache hider hasn't been persecuted by anyone here.

Have they??

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 04 October 10 6:04 pm

No, but they were on the cache page... poor form, Stinky Issue or not the hider doesnt deserve accusation and the newbie-finder needs education. If the newbie-finder is a nasty person in disguise no point publically flaming them as the attention is all they could be after by putting on a charade. So best let the PTB investigate and hope the coins show up. :-#

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 04 October 10 8:27 pm

Welcome PR 8)

The issue of emails sent can be explained by the proliferation of throw away email addresses these days. Years ago, i signed up with a yahoo email address IIRC, and NEVER looked at the emails unless required (confirmation requirements etc). This email is still around somewhere so may explain their situation.

I use several domain names and associated email addresses to sign up and filter the information eg. gpx@domain-name.com etc. Just because someone doesn't answer your email and they are active, doesn't mean much in this day and age. :wink:

Hope it turns out well in the end,
mm

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 04 October 10 9:07 pm

Lost Brissy dog Muffy found nine years later - in Melbourne.

There is hope & I apologize unreservedly for my comment.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 October 10 10:00 pm

belken wrote:The cache hider hasn't been persecuted by anyone here.

Have they??
No, they haven't.
My note was an attempt to avoid that occurring which seems to have worked.
So as long we are polite, we can continue the conversation.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 05 October 10 7:31 am

caughtatwork wrote:
belken wrote:The cache hider hasn't been persecuted by anyone here.

Have they??
No, they haven't.
My note was an attempt to avoid that occurring which seems to have worked.
So as long we are polite, we can continue the conversation.
Yes, someone had directly accused the hiders of being the perpretrators. I can't remember if it was in this thread or on the cache page, but in either way, it appears to have been deleted - as it should have been, that was really uncalled for.
ETA - it was on the cache page. As I had a watch on the cache, I have the email. the log was as follows:
Droo posted a note for Cobblers Trackable Hotel (Disabled) (Traditional Cache) at 10/3/2010

Log Date: 10/3/2010
Interesting that the cache is stolen the day it's placed by a new cacher on their first day thinking it was free to take and make gifts to all the children. Something stinks.... an elaborate ploy to steal geocoins? Shame on you Team Nano.

What's even weirder?? This is a team from CALIFORNIA. They've not cached in SA that I can see.

Good to see that the finders have logged a few finds and seem to be playing the game properly but it still seems like a really bizarre situation all round, which does raise a lot of red flags for me. A brand new team signs up to the website and that very same day gets a FTF, late at night, and apparently a long way away from where they live. This implies they've figured out what to do/received the email from the owner asking to put it back, and yet there's no mention of the cache or what they've done with it anywhere. They just start logging caches over 100km away from this one, mentioning a "boo boo" in Adelaide.
Then another team signs up in order to log a "found this trashed cache" and apparently doesn't have a GPSr, but was able to figure out the exact cache that it was (although we could assume that Team Nano had labelled their cache very well), figured out how to post a note to the cache page, but claims they can't contact the cache owner?
It all smells a bit fishy to me, but then, stranger things HAVE happened! I'd be interested to see what the cache owners find.

Phetlern

Post by Phetlern » 05 October 10 8:54 am

Absolutely amazing - without wanting to start a new thread, perhaps we should be making more use of Premium Member Caches, especially those specifically designed to house moveables/trackables. :-k

PirateRock

Post by PirateRock » 05 October 10 9:06 am

Phetlern wrote:Absolutely amazing - without wanting to start a new thread, perhaps we should be making more use of Premium Member Caches, especially those specifically designed to house moveables/trackables. :-k
I would think that this would be the best choice for TB hotels - it's not just a log book that can go missing. I would also hope that people pick locations that are generally muggle free, to reduce risk of loss.