GPX V1.1

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Explorer

GPX V1.1

Post by The Explorer » 24 September 10 12:22 am

Hi
A while back I cranked up the new version of GSAK and it politely suggested I use the V1.1 version GPX files as they apparently contain some extra info. Fine - I change the settings on my pocket query to download V1.1. Loaded the resulting file into GSAK and did a bit of filtering and sent GCs off to Oregon 450 in GPX V1.1. Problem - they dont show up as GCs but as Waypoints. Exported the same GC as GPX V1.0 and all good.

Am I doing something wrong or are V 1.1 GPX files not supported by Garmin Oregons (3.85 firmware)?

Cheers
Greg

caughtatwork

Re: GPX V1.1

Post by caughtatwork » 24 September 10 12:21 pm

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching
Oregon does not properly interpret GPX V1.1 files. Garmin's implementation is non-standard and the Oregon doesn't recognize a 1.1 GPX Geocache file as Geocaches. Instead it loads Geocaches as Waypoints. Garmin's GPX 1.1 implementation of the Groundspeak <extensions> is non-standard. The problem is the groundpeak: extension tag qualifiers - they should be there in every extension tag and are correctly recognized in V1.0 files. However Garmin units won't recognize the extensions in 1.1 files and thus see the point as a Geocache unless all the groundspeak: qualifiers are removed. (3.13/2.10)

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 24 September 10 3:11 pm

Hi Greg,

I use the new 1.1 GPX into GSAK and then I export to the Oregon without issue. Without GSAK in front of me at work I can't see what my settings are but I'll have a look at home and get back to you.

Cheers,

Matt

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 September 10 4:56 pm

Are you exporting out of GSAK as 1.1 or 1.0?

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 24 September 10 4:58 pm

CraigRat wrote:Are you exporting out of GSAK as 1.1 or 1.0?
Thats what it is! ](*,) GC don't use 1.1 for their PQ's they use 1.0.1. You import as that and then you must export as 1.0.

Thanks CR for the memory jog!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 24 September 10 9:04 pm

btw where do you set the GPX output version in GSAK because I don't see any setting on the export, I see it on the export GPX but not the device output

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 24 September 10 9:11 pm

mtrax wrote:btw where do you set the GPX output version in GSAK because I don't see any setting on the export, I see it on the export GPX but not the device output
Right at the top of the GPX output. :oops:

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 24 September 10 9:17 pm

right but not when you use the send to GPS wizard ie Menu GPS-->Send Waypoints (device), or the lighning bolt button, the GPX version must be defaulted in that procedure.

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 24 September 10 9:20 pm

I didn't think this was sending as a gpx if you sent this way...

I haven't sent like this since I got the Oregon.

Try this macro

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=249e2 ... ntry112006

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 25 September 10 10:28 am

The Explorer wrote:Hi
A while back I cranked up the new version of GSAK and it politely suggested I use the V1.1 version GPX files as they apparently contain some extra info. Fine - I change the settings on my pocket query to download V1.1. Loaded the resulting file into GSAK and did a bit of filtering and sent GCs off to Oregon 450 in GPX V1.1. Problem - they dont show up as GCs but as Waypoints. Exported the same GC as GPX V1.0 and all good.

Am I doing something wrong or are V 1.1 GPX files not supported by Garmin Oregons (3.85 firmware)?

Cheers
Greg
You would have had the same sort of problems with the TwoNav Aventure. I know when I tried 1.1 I would get the cache name as the GC code, no description, no hints, the cache would show up as a normal waypoint. I'm sort of getting use to been able to look at the screen and able to see what type of caches are around me just by the icon.