Vantage point

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Vantage point

Post by cantanga » 25 August 10 11:56 pm

does anyone know how to download GPX files containing GCA caches to Vantage point or direct to a magellan triton using Vantage point. I've searched the forums and all it has is that by using GSAK and exporting them all that way that it sould work. Tried it and it casuses an error at the first GCA cache. Is there anyone who has experienced this and knows a work around (besides exporting as a gs file as I would like to transfer more then 200 at a time usually)?

caughtatwork

Re: Vantage point

Post by caughtatwork » 26 August 10 9:18 am

What's the error?

It's likely that the GPS is expecting groundspeak namespaces which GCA files don't have. i.e. The GPS is expecting a non-standard GPX format based on their understanding that the GC GPX files are the standard (which they're not).

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 29 August 10 12:57 pm

Thanks C@W
The error that occurs is "An error occured during data transfer" so it's not much help. I created the file using GSAK and it has both GCA and GC caches in it. I thought maybe that trigs were the problem but it does seem that at any GCA cache it will cause the error.I also thought by using GSAK to create the file that GC proprietory GPX would no be an issue. I have also tried creating the GPX in version 1 and 1.01 still no dice.
I should state that it is not only transfer to the GPS via vantage point but also importing caches into vantage point itself. Although I doubt that makes any difference.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 August 10 2:07 pm

OK, well, I've found the problem but I don't know how to fix it.

VantagePoint required an "owner id" in the GPX file.
We already know that VP does not like GCA files because they aren't GC files :stabby
So in order to get a GPX file for a GCA cache that VP will like it must be transformed through GSAK.
The problem is that the GCA GPX files do not contain an owner id.
Sometimes GSAK will output an owner id = "0" and other times it doesn't.
The missing owner id causes VP to dislike the file.

I can't get an owner id into GSAK from a GCA GPX file. GSAK ignores the id attribute if I add it to the GCA GPX file.

So there is an issue in GSAK with population of a "" owner id for GCA caches sometimes, an owner id ="0" other times and VP requires something that is not "".

Two possibilities.
You ask ClydeE at the GSAK forums to add a default owner id to ALL caches that don't have one so that VP works.
When you create the GPX file to send to VP, before you load it you open the file in a text editor (like notepad) and replace all id="" with id="0".

As we're talking external software to GCA, there's not much more we can do to help here.

VP is being a bitch, expecting a value that is not mandatory and GSAK seems not to provide a VP valid file by providing an id=""

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 31 August 10 12:30 am

Thanks, Thats a rather detailed response. To be honest I was kind of expecting just a straight "no idea and there is no way to fix it as it just doesn't like them" response. So this was really helpful and I know that that is something I would never be able to work out myself.
I might take the 2 pronged approach and do both your suggestions (at least until GSAK can default the owner id).