Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Post by CraigRat » 16 May 10 2:19 pm

JustinCBR wrote:Biggest challenge is working out how to get free maps.
Best options are to goodge osmaustralia and Shonky Maps, both are good for free (and 100% legal).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 May 10 6:52 pm

http://www.osmaustralia.org/garminroute.php
Routable Garmin maps for free :-)

drednort
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by drednort » 01 August 10 3:06 pm

Hi all,

I think it's the first time I've posted here. I've been geocaching just over a year with (surprise, surprise) an eTrex H paid for with last years tax refund. I'm expecting this years tax refund shortly (hopefully tomorrow) and I'm considering upgrading. I'm looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend H. I know that's not a massive upgrade but for me, it seems to be what I want - the eTrex H has met my needs well, but the added ability to load in maps would be useful (besides a friend has borrowed my eTrex H this weekend after months of trying to persuade him to try caching which I know he'll love, and I'm thinking of passing the eTrex H onto him if I replace it).

As I say, maps are a big part of the draw for me, and I notice the reference above to the routable Garmin maps from osmaustralia - I'd just like to know if they'd work with the eTrex Legend H and if it's difficult to upload them (I am pretty capable with computers but this is new territory).

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 August 10 6:28 pm

I just got an Anaconda catalogue in the mail and the Garmin 60 CSX on sale for $299 (reg $499). On sale now to Wednesday 25th August.

canary

Post by canary » 09 August 10 10:04 pm

Richary wrote:I just got an Anaconda catalogue in the mail and the Garmin 60 CSX on sale for $299 (reg $499). On sale now to Wednesday 25th August.
From a user of one of these, is this a good upgrade from an Etrex?

Can I load topo maps to use in the Blue Mountains tracks?

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 09 August 10 10:34 pm

canary wrote:
From a user of one of these, is this a good upgrade from an Etrex?

Can I load topo maps to use in the Blue Mountains tracks?
I still have the 60CX version of this and I would rate it as one of the best and most rugged GPS's available.

I believe the 60CSX to be just as good and an excellent upgrade from the Etrex.

And the 60 series is USB equipped with a micro SD card slot,

and yes I am pretty positive you can load topo maps onto it using Mapsource.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 09 August 10 10:45 pm

drednort wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend H. I know that's not a massive upgrade but for me, it seems to be what I want - the eTrex H has met my needs well, but the added ability to load in maps would be useful (besides a friend has borrowed my eTrex H this weekend after months of trying to persuade him to try caching which I know he'll love, and I'm thinking of passing the eTrex H onto him if I replace it).

As I say, maps are a big part of the draw for me, and I notice the reference above to the routable Garmin maps from osmaustralia - I'd just like to know if they'd work with the eTrex Legend H and if it's difficult to upload them (I am pretty capable with computers but this is new territory).
As far as I know the eTrex Legend cannot autoroute (well the first model could not anyway) so you will need to check that out. We went from a Legend to a 60CX and that was the best thing that we did. That does autoroute. Now we are using an Oregon and after the last firmware upgrade, the battery life and accuracy seems very good now.

The Anaconda deal mentioned by Richary seems a very good deal. We also got an email from them tonight confirming it.

But we still keep the 60 as a backup!

Good Luck.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 09 August 10 10:48 pm

The reason why the 60CSx is so cheap is that Garmin is going to discontinue that model. It is to be replaced by the 62 series.

Richary

Post by Richary » 09 August 10 10:51 pm

I have the 60cx, and while I haven't tried mapsource products had no trouble loading shonkymaps on it for most of NSW and SE Queensland. It's something I have to remember to update if travelling elsewhere (which isn't very often these days). Not that I tend to use the mapping much on it.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 09 August 10 11:23 pm

From a non-mapping etrex, or even a greyscale mapping jobbie, it's a good upgrade in IMO. From an etrex with similar features to a 60CSx (like colour mapping, ecompass, sensitive aerial, etc.) , I suppose it would depend how much you want one.

I've had a 60CSx for the last couple of years, and it's stood the test of time and still suits my needs well. Screen size is on the smaller side of average is all, and you can load many vector (including topo) maps from Garmin and elsewhere. On a day to day basis I usually use City Navigator maps plus Shonky Transparent Contours on my 60CSx. Oh yes, do yourself a favour and use Mapsource on the PC to keep things organised! I believe repairs and support will be good for at least couple of years

Hope this is some help.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 10 August 10 12:59 pm

I see that you can now create your own maps for the newer Garmin GPS units, such as the Oregon and 62 and 78 series.
These maps are non routable, just georeferenced jpg files, the way Oziexplorer works.

Here are the details http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/ ... fragment-2

ftstn

Post by ftstn » 13 August 10 10:52 pm

So thanks to the ATO i have some spare cash for a new GPS at last, target is the Oregon 450, any sugestions on the best place to buy/deal offered etc ?

Maffu

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 13 August 10 11:02 pm

ftstn wrote:So thanks to the ATO i have some spare cash for a new GPS at last, target is the Oregon 450, any sugestions on the best place to buy/deal offered etc ?

Maffu
If you want to hunt for a deal, try the Johnny Appleseed website as a reference and then hunt around. The Anaconda special on the 60CSX is very good, not an Oregon I admit but probably a lot more rugged.

Have a look around.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 18 August 10 10:06 am

In the same Anaconda catalogue there's also the faithful Etrex H (Yellow) for $99!
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Catalogues_P ... t_Sale.pdf
About page 10.

I've managed to mislay our Etrex this week and I think it's gone for good. Was going to simply replace it until I saw this offer for the Garmin 60 CSX. However I may buy another Etrex as a spare - can't go wrong at that price. I might even give it as a Xmas present to my nieces and nephews (all one family) - keen geocachers but their mum won't buy them a GPS!

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 18 August 10 1:58 pm

The bad news is Anaconda has sold out of both GPS deals nationally they tell me. I am trying to buy the last Etrex right now, display stock!