Love and Hate

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: Love and Hate

Post by Zalgariath » 04 August 10 11:05 pm

I think this thread has been rather productive so far. I have had a few of my early hides muggled of late, and when I went to replace them I thought... you know what. I can do better. This discussion has inspired me for when I go back to Sydney to prepare new more devious camo hides and replace the current slightly lame M&M Mini Containers I started with :)

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 August 10 11:13 pm

Zalgariath wrote: This discussion has inspired me for when I go back to Sydney to prepare new more devious camo hides and replace the current slightly lame M&M Mini Containers I started with :)
You just made me feel better for not having yet found your Cooks river series! :lol: #4 is very close to home!

Love: Robust discussion on the forums where even if people disagree they still respect others opinions.

Hate: Whiteanting forum Trolls :evil:

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 04 August 10 11:24 pm

Damo. wrote:
Zalgariath wrote: This discussion has inspired me for when I go back to Sydney to prepare new more devious camo hides and replace the current slightly lame M&M Mini Containers I started with :)
You just made me feel better for not having yet found your Cooks river series! :lol: #4 is very close to home!
Hahaha #2 is worthy... #1 and #3 are on the list to be updated in September once Im home :D

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 05 August 10 11:04 am

Zalgariath wrote:I think this thread has been rather productive so far....This discussion has inspired me for when I go back to Sydney to prepare new more devious camo hides and replace the current slightly lame M&M Mini Containers I started with :)
Very pleased that you got something out of this thread and I am hoping that a lot of others did as well who may not feel comfortable in airing their opinions.

Have a look at this thread in the Victorian section http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 11&t=14817 and in particular what Philipp said of the experience in Germany. This is precisely what can happen here in Aus and I for one would like to make people aware of what is happening and hopefully by more discussions like this we can do something about it.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 05 August 10 12:03 pm

Interesting stuff. I think a lot of people said something similar in the "Is Geocaching Dying?" thread.... which now seems to have disappeared :( I think what most people could agree on is saturation in not a goal to be strived for. I have a friend in Canada who has just started to get into caching. After only a few weeks she has run into two huge snags...

1) She has to spend hours online before heading out caching "sifting" through the hundreds of closest to home caches to find something interesting or fun as a good chunk are LPC's, micros under bench seats or other non-descript efforts with 2 line descriptions. Tricky because a dud cache doesnt really rely on geography. You could have a cracker micro just 180m from a non-effort one.

2) Now she is now thinking of hiding a cache but is severely limited in her options of placement due to the cache density being so high. (Catch 22 - She is adding to that density I know! )

A nice way to potentially educate hiders would be a rating/feedback system. Unfortunately I cant see GS introducing a rating system on GC.com like we have here due to their thin-skinned expectation of their users and potential for abuse of such a system without policing :( That means people have to use their log comments to provide feedback, but more often then not will simply "TFTC" if they didnt like it rather then providing an opinion to the owner and risk hurting their feelings.

I'll add my 2.5 cents here that I said there...

The best advise I can think to give to any potential hider is this.... Before you hide a cache ask yourself ONE simple question... "Will finding this bring a smile to the faces of my fellow cachers?" (Afterall that is who you are hiding it for!) There can be any number of reasons, and even a NANO can satisfy this condition... if done right. Similarly an ammo can could fail (harder yes, but possible Im sure :P)

...and at the end of the day I stand by my profile tagline: "To Cache for Numbers is not an Offence. To Hide for Numbers is Criminal!" \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 August 10 12:19 pm

At GCA we do issue a prompt at the start of your cache listing activity as follows:
Some items you should consider to ensure your new geocache is of the best quality possible:

* Is the cache in a legal location?
* Is the cache in a National Park or environmentally sensitive area?
* Are there other geocaches close by?
* Is this cache one you would do or would be proud to show others?
* Will others want to seek this cache?
* Are you able to maintain the cache in a reasonable timeframe?
* Is the cache container appropriate for the cache's location?
* Is this cache already listed on another site, such as geocaching.com? (if so, Click Here)

Please review the Geocaching Best Practices section of the Wiki, and the Geocachers' Creed
So you explicitly get to ignore all suggestions for a quality cache before you decide to list it.

Of course there is no method of enforcement, but the rating system at GCA means you can rate a cache a 1 or 2 and if enough people do that, then a simple query excluding 1 and 2 rated caches means your own personal experience is just what you want it to be.