Love and Hate

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pprass
10000 or more caches found

Love and Hate

Post by pprass » 02 August 10 2:21 pm

Ok - at the risk of being told that I am regurgitating what has been discussed on this Forum before, I want to lay out our opinions on what we love and hate about geocaching.
These opinions usually gather some urge to be publicised after a big caching trip where we see a cross section of caches in a relativley short period of time. I am sure that most experienced cachers would have similar opinions to ours (as per our usual debriefing sessions at events or at random in the field meetings), so maybe I am just wanting to get this off my chest and see what comes out of the woodwork.
In particular I am hoping that some of the less active cachers in the more remote areas take note of opinions such as this so that they can be more aware of what we (the caching community) like and dislike. (a contradiction I know as they are less likely to read the Forum, but it can't hurt, can it :?)

What we love and hate about geocaching

Love:
1. The excitement of exploring a new location and experiencing wonderful sights, information and scenery.
2. Pouring over maps to work out how to get to interesting locations and being able to navigate a course to minimise effort. (ie walking :oops: )
3.The hunt for tricky caches and being surprised by innovative hides.
4.Finding a cache that has been neglected for a long time due to isolation, or some terrain obstacle.
5. The feeling that you are doing something that nobody around you knows about.
6. Meeting other cachers and striking up a conversation as though you have known them all your life.
7. Finding a cache with the minimum of information – ie just reading the cache page, so that it feels like an FTF for us even though it may have been placed years ago.
8. Reading logs from cachers that have had an entertaining time and take the trouble to write a log that has more than 1 sentence (or one anagram for that matter).

Hate:
1. Cache placements in lame locations – garden beds, playgrounds, outside public conveniences, places that have no particular attraction, or the cacher has not written anything interesting on the cache page to warrant a cache placement in that location.
2. Co-ordinates that are more than 10 metres out.
3. Difficulty/Terrain ratings that either over or understate the real conditions.
4. Cachers that don’t follow up on “needs maintenance” logs or ignore multiple DNF logs.
5. Cachers that don’t respond to direct emails asking them to please check a cache that appears to have been muggled.
6. Explicit hints that render the use of a GPS useless.
7. Cachers that find caches that are 20 metres out by obviously looking at the explicit hint and then not providing corrected co-ordinates to help those that don’t dive for the hint before they even leave the house.
8. Receiving logs that say nothing about the cachers experience, or just some inane anagram.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Love and Hate

Post by Yurt » 02 August 10 2:56 pm

+1

:mrgreen:

pprass

Post by pprass » 02 August 10 3:02 pm

Yurt wrote:+1...
We have had worse :roll:

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 02 August 10 3:42 pm

pprass wrote:6. Explicit hints that render the use of a GPS useless.
7. Cachers that find caches that are 20 metres out by obviously looking at the explicit hint and then not providing corrected co-ordinates to help those that don’t dive for the hint before they even leave the house.
Do people really hate #6 or is it more to do with the relationship to #7? I try to make my hints cryptic but sometimes I do get more specific when the hide warrants it. To me there's not much worse than your GPS pointing at a bridge and then the hint saying "Bridge". ](*,)

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 02 August 10 3:44 pm

Yes it's one of my pet hates especially when at a difficult hide and looking to previous logs for some assistance and someone (more than one) has just written TFTC. Especially if it was a mystery that you needed the brain of Einstein and the computing power of Deep Thought to solve and then a 5km hike through the wilderness to find a nano in a cave.
Okay that's an extreme but you'd think you'd write more than that in the online log.

I agree with the list in the main but as people can do what they please and the 'guilty' parties are not likely to read the forums it's a case of "whatcha gonna do about it?" sadly.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 02 August 10 5:13 pm

....hate caching acronyms that mean nothing to the cache owner eg GAFF per Hate 8 :twisted:

....love feedback on caches. :-" :stabby

mm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 August 10 5:32 pm

Map Monkey wrote:....hate caching acronyms that mean nothing to the cache owner eg GAFF per Hate 8 :twisted:

....love feedback on caches. :-" :stabby

mm
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/GAFF

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 02 August 10 6:59 pm

All those hates are very true and its amazing how many times they actually occur. :shock:
A new one to add is number 9/. :roll:
Cachers that give away almost the hide spot with a subtle hint of how they got the find.Why do they say it ???

Example: A/ lucky we are not vertically challenged,so we were able to reach it.
B/ Once we looked in the hidey hole ,we discovered the hide.
C/ The magnet really held this one hard.
D/ This item in the garden looked different to the rest.
E/ We were able to reach this from the seat.

Can think of a dozen more too.It always amazes us why teams have to reveal these hints in their finds. :shock: :shock:

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 02 August 10 8:11 pm

"In particular I am hoping that some of the less active cachers in the more remote areas take note of opinions such as this so that they can be more aware of what we (the caching community) like and dislike".

If we are the caching community, what are they?

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 02 August 10 8:23 pm

Hints are a very varied thing. Some people hate them, others live by them. Sometimes they're really necessary or important, other times there's no need.

I think it's quite often important to give a hint to avoid too much searching that might damage the area. Or to make it a quicker find in a muggle-prone spot. Personally, if I've been brought to a really interesting or scenic spot or taken on a fun journey when I get to GZ, I don't necessarily need (or want) to spend ages searching for the cache and am quite happy to use the hint.

Only hides that are intended to be especially clever and devious would qualify for no hint in my opinion (and I usually DF them anyway :evil: ).

I like hints - to me caching is done for fun, not for frustration. But I accept that everyone has their own reasons and methods.

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 02 August 10 9:25 pm

blossom* wrote:Hints are a very varied thing. Some people hate them, others live by them. Sometimes they're really necessary or important, other times there's no need.

I think it's quite often important to give a hint to avoid too much searching that might damage the area. Or to make it a quicker find in a muggle-prone spot. Personally, if I've been brought to a really interesting or scenic spot or taken on a fun journey when I get to GZ, I don't necessarily need (or want) to spend ages searching for the cache and am quite happy to use the hint.

Only hides that are intended to be especially clever and devious would qualify for no hint in my opinion (and I usually DF them anyway :evil: ).

I like hints - to me caching is done for fun, not for frustration. But I accept that everyone has their own reasons and methods.
Pretty much agree with everything blossom* says here.
Also, there is no requirement to look at the hint or the past logs if you prefer not. I usually look as I have no patience. Also, as a lot of my caching is now done with an I phone, I need those hints that do not require a GPS ](*,)

pprass

Post by pprass » 02 August 10 9:39 pm

Tuena wrote:If we are the caching community, what are they?
Fair comment - I was trying to distinguish between the more active experienced cachers to the newer less active cachers who may not have been aware of what a good cache entails.

pprass

Post by pprass » 02 August 10 9:43 pm

the farmers 5 wrote:...Cachers that give away almost the hide spot with a subtle hint of how they got the find. Why do they say it ???
Where a cacher gives the game away on our more challenging caches I will email them and politely ask them to change the wording. Haven't had anyone refuse yet. On our simpler caches I will let it ride - but not really happy about it.

pprass

Post by pprass » 02 August 10 10:02 pm

Map Monkey wrote:....hate caching acronyms that mean nothing to the cache owner eg GAFF per Hate 8 :twisted:
OK - defend mode on.

If you read my comment properly I said "just" an inane acronym (I mistakenly said anagram btw) eg "TNLNSL" and that's it!
If you have ever received a log from us you will see that we usually write a few words to accompany the GAFF rating and as a matter of fact looking at the caches of yours that we have found the highest no. of words was around 160 and the lowest was around 55 - which I think gave pretty good feedback on those caches.
Last edited by pprass on 02 August 10 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pprass

Post by pprass » 02 August 10 10:05 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:... I try to make my hints cryptic but sometimes I do get more specific when the hide warrants it.
That's what I do when it is a difficult cache as well. However I believe that we usually give accurate co-ords so that there is no need for a hint on some of our simpler caches.