I dislike the patches and wouldn't be interested
14%

Total votes: 50

SuperMoosie
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Embroidered patches

Post by SuperMoosie » 07 July 10 11:54 am

edmil wrote:As for Iron on or Sew on - I don't Iron, I don't Sew! .
We had some patches made up for work that you peeled the back off like a sticker and apply. Once you stick them down you can't pull them off again. Then they take up to 7 days to get to their full strength.

We used them for putting our logo on bags. But have also had them applied to polar fleace and material and they really do stick well, yet are still flexiable, but not as flexiable as a Sew on patch.

We purchased them from a Swiss company and they cost about 4 Euros each. Which probably makes them too expensive and too hard to organise for GGA purposes. Not sure if someone in Australia can make these?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 July 10 11:55 am

1 Euro = 1.48 AUD :shock:
I think that may indeed be out of our price range?

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 07 July 10 2:53 pm

Just an idea to throw out there, what about a round one like the origional pathtag? 8-[

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 July 10 3:12 pm

Writing is too small. I think in the overall size, it need to be no smaller than 4mm. Good idea though.

WellsInc

Post by WellsInc » 07 July 10 4:05 pm

Hi
I would love them to be iron on as I have to hand sew my sons scout patches on and that takes me like a month to do. :oops:
Wells inc

McAdies
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by McAdies » 07 July 10 7:09 pm

We would definitely buy some.
You can sew the iron on patches without ironing them but they are a little harder to get the needle through.
We sew all of ours in case we want to take them back off again.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 July 10 7:39 pm

McAdies wrote:We would definitely buy some.
You can sew the iron on patches without ironing them but they are a little harder to get the needle through.
We sew all of ours in case we want to take them back off again.
Now that's very helpful information, thanks.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 July 10 8:44 pm

After looking at various cloth patch designs on shirts and caps and things, I'm siding on the side on "no words", just the coloured logo.
Anyone who knows what it is, knows what it is.
Anyone who doesn't isn't going to be enlightened by Geocaching Australia.
It also keeps the patch square with the logo filling the patch rather than being a somewhat dicky shape with the words at the bottom.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 July 10 3:28 pm

300 logo without words, black overlocked border @ 62.5mm x 62.5mm, sew-on*, woven have been ordered.
Scan should be a couple of days and then if approved, a couple of weeks for delivery.
I ultimately chose woven over embroidered as the compass is too detailed for the best embroidered result. No difference in price.

*Sew-on won the poll and you should be able to get iron-on bias binding from places like spotlight. Or you can learn to sew :-)

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 08 July 10 11:56 pm

I came in at the end of the thread (after C&W had ordered to patches) and it's been interesting reading the other posts.

IMHO, Sew on. If your prepared to spend miles and heaps of time chasing an elusive cache then spending a bit of time pricking your thumb is a small inconvenience.
WellsInc wrote: ...I have to hand sew my sons scout patches on and that takes me like a month to do.

I've used a number of iron-ons over the years and the life of them is rather poor. Embroidered definitely last much longer and look great too. \:D/

Definately Aussie made - we need to keep a few dollars and jobs here all we'll all end up out of work and have to spend our weekdays chasing caches - that'd defeat the purpose of looking forward to weekends. :mrgreen:

Price is very good and I'll happily buy a few.
Thanks C&W for spending the time to keep developing items. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Waz.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 09 July 10 8:57 am

WellsInc wrote:Hi
I would love them to be iron on as I have to hand sew my sons scout patches on and that takes me like a month to do. :oops:
Wells inc
The parents of one of my cub scouts used to get her local drycleaner/alterations place to sew them on. I think they charged her a a dollar per badge, and gave the cub a lollypop while she waited.
Might be worth enquiring as to what your local shop offers if you're willing to cough up some cash to avoid sewing all the badges on...

svn07
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by svn07 » 11 July 10 6:34 pm

Oh goody...lucky me....I got what I wanted!!! Well, the majority and C@W helped with that!

Was a bit late into this but would have suggested that not "everything" will cope with something being ironed on. So sew-on is great. My soccer club track-suit top will be redundant next year (yay...more time for caching!!) so the patch will nicely cover up the "old" logo :lol: .

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 10 8:55 am

OP updated with scanned actual patch.
Wow. I'm quite staggered at the quality, speed and high quality service and extremely happy with everything.
There is one black dot missing from the bottom left of the yellow quadrant, but unless that bothers anyone I'm likely to approve this afternoon, even with the missing dot, anyone object?

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 13 July 10 9:29 am

caughtatwork wrote:OP updated with scanned actual patch.
Wow. I'm quite staggered at the quality, speed and high quality service and extremely happy with everything.
There is one black dot missing from the bottom left of the yellow quadrant, but unless that bothers anyone I'm likely to approve this afternoon, even with the missing dot, anyone object?
Looks fantastic. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
With the image quite large on my screen the missing dot stands out like the proverbial "dogs....". BUT I don't think it will be a problem at the true size of the patch.
I'll happily to accept it as shown.
Waz.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 10 9:35 am

I believe you to be correct.
Is 62.5mm x 62.5mm so it's unlikely to be missed.