GSAK not loading trig points to Oregon 450

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

GSAK not loading trig points to Oregon 450

Post by Bewilderbeest » 03 May 10 3:44 pm

I have an Oregon 450 and I use GSAK to load my caches onto it, using the "Send Waypoints" menu option. Only I discovered on the weekend that it isnt transferring trig points. I've tried re-running the export a couple of times, with no difference. I experimented with changing the cache type on a couple of them to Traditional. This also didnt help.

Here's the odd bit - the send DOES transfer TP5716 Canberra Racecourse. TP2221 Mt Painter and TP4995 Percival Trig are examples of ones that dont transfer. I cant tell any difference that might be causing the different behaviour. All other GCA caches (e.g. trads, moveables) transfer okay.

The GPSr setup in GSAK is set to Oregon 300/400. I'm running GSAK v7.5.1.28. Id appreciate any advice or suggestions as to whats causing this, and how to get the trig points sent to the GPSr.

Cheers,
Peter

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: GSAK not loading trig points to Oregon 450

Post by CraigRat » 03 May 10 4:34 pm

We found at an event that the reason you cant call them up is because there are SO many called 'Mount xxxxx' and it was only when the WHOLE name was typed in to the search that you could see the listing

I suggest picking one TP's from GSAK at random and type the WHOLE name of it and you should see it appear in the search.
It's a 'feature' of the Oregon i'm afraid.

ma77hew
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by ma77hew » 03 May 10 7:36 pm

I use the Colorado/Oregon Export Macro with my 400t, and have no problems with TPs.

The only drama I have with TPs now is archiving more than I 'find' as they turn out to be on private property. ](*,)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 May 10 7:55 pm

ma77hew wrote:I use the Colorado/Oregon Export Macro with my 400t, and have no problems with TPs.

The only drama I have with TPs now is archiving more than I 'find' as they turn out to be on private property. ](*,)
Out of interest, what does this Macro do that the standard Send to GPS doesn't do?
I understand it was created before GSAK did a native export to the Colarado/Oregons, does it do anything extra?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 May 10 8:37 pm

I have an Oregon 450 and have only ever used the macro.

When I saw that the native export was for the 300/400 I assumed that it wouldn't work with a 450 and went with the macro.

I just tested the 300/400 Send to GPS and it works fine with all the TP's for Victoria.
I have it set up with the name as %Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)

It's certainly possible that the Send to GPS may overwrite the cache names if you have the name set to (say) 6 characters as a lot of them are called Mount ... and they may get overwritten with each other.

As far as the difference? I suspect that the macro offers more features than the standard Send to GPS. There's certainly more ticks an things you can enter on the screen.

Mines pretty standard though so I don't use a lot of the widgetry that others may use.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 03 May 10 9:29 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I have tried searching by full name as suggested by CraigRat but that didnt work, no results shown. I might check out this macro though, although its interesting in view of Caughtatworks comments. I have the smart names set to 10 chars which shouldhelp, and the format as %Name (%Dif/%Ter) by %By - which probably matter.

*sigh* nothing ever works as simply as it should

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 17 May 10 8:43 am

It's still not working for me. I have tried renaming many of the TPs to remove the words 'Mount', 'Hill' and 'Trig' from the name so they are no called things like Palmer TP, Narrabundah TP etc.

They still dont show up in the search, I suspect they arent even getting on the the GPS.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 May 10 9:06 am

You should be able to open the GPS as an external drive.
Find the GPX file on the GPS.
Open the file and see if you can find the caches in question in the GPX file on your GPS.
If they're in there, they're in there.
If they're not in there, we can narrpow the problem down to the "sending" function from GSAK.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 17 May 10 10:54 am

CraigRat wrote:
ma77hew wrote:I use the Colorado/Oregon Export Macro with my 400t, and have no problems with TPs.

Out of interest, what does this Macro do that the standard Send to GPS doesn't do?
I understand it was created before GSAK did a native export to the Colarado/Oregons, does it do anything extra?
I think (stretching the memory here), apart from it being out before GSAK/GPS babel supported send to GPSr, I think that it stopped some issues where you would end up with corrupt files, or something along those lines, but that only was happening some of the time.

Other than that it just allows a bit more granular control over how you send the caches to the Oregon, how the child WP's appear, and you can control what the GPX is named (you can leave it to default by the DB name, or set a manual name, which is handy for multiple GPX files). I'm sure that there are other things it's handy for, but I probably really don't use all of it's functions, and could probably get away with just using send to GPSr, but hey, I'm in IT, and I like gadgets and cool tools :D

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 17 May 10 12:35 pm

have you tried going to the general vicinity on the map to see if the TP shows up?

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 18 May 10 8:59 am

caughtatwork wrote:You should be able to open the GPS as an external drive.
Find the GPX file on the GPS.
Open the file and see if you can find the caches in question in the GPX file on your GPS.
If they're in there, they're in there.
If they're not in there, we can narrpow the problem down to the "sending" function from GSAK.
Thank for the suggestion CAW. Checked the GPX file on the GPS - the trig points are in there, so GSAK is sending them.
homedg wrote:have you tried going to the general vicinity on the map to see if the TP shows up?
Yes, I've tried that, no show. The GPS for some reason doesnt like showing them, either in the list/search, or on the map.

I have also modified more of the names and owner names to try and create more variety in the names (going back to CraigRats suggestion). I hoped that if duplication was the issue, this should at least make a few of them show up, but it hasnt made any difference.

I will try updating my version of GSAK, in case it's something about how the data is being delivered. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 24 May 10 2:56 pm

Okay, I give up.

Now using the latest version of GSAK. After my last upload to the GPSr, it now shows me 29 of the 60 nearest trig points and refuses to admit the existence of the other 31 (I've also filtered out some of the farther flung ones that I'm unlikely to get to, this may have helped?). I cant discern any difference between those it chooses to show and those it doesnt.

I've looked at the smartnames in case there was insufficient differentiation which could have caused the unit to get confused, but that aint it e.g. it doesnt show me "Old Joe Gallaher" (OldJoeGall) which should be fairly unique, but does show Mt Painter.

I've also tried changing the setup to display by WP code instead of name, but they missing ones are still missing from the search results.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 May 10 3:04 pm

What's the firmware version on your Orgeon 450?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 24 May 10 6:41 pm

I just realised your problem, it was staring me in the face all along!
You are using 7.5 series of GSAK and our upload issue wasn't fixed until 7.6.2

You need to upgrade to the latest version. (It's to do with the cache id#, basically it's overwriting the same cache again and again in the oregon)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 May 10 7:20 pm

You are using 7.5 series of GSAK and our upload issue wasn't fixed until 7.6.2
He's running the latest version now and is getting "some" of the caches.
t doesnt show me "Old Joe Gallaher" (OldJoeGall) which should be fairly unique, but does show Mt Painter
What's the GA code for Old Joe Gallagher. I can't even find it. Maybe that's why it's missing?

Are the missing ones in in the gpx file on your GPS? Send me your GPX file from your GPS and I'll load it onto mine and see if I have the same problem.