activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 09 September 04 4:29 pm

How about 10 oldest virgins (help them get some action)!
<br><br><br>
IÂ’ll leave it to you to decide if thats caches or cachers :shock:
<br><br><br>
And an archived cache of the week (old caches long gone, worth having a read of the page for nostalgia)

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 10 September 04 10:08 am

What the hell, has team piggy gone into uber caching overdrive???? 9 days in and 38 finds already?

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 10 September 04 10:10 am

What the hell, has team piggy gone into uber caching overdrive???? 9 days in and 38 finds already?
<P>Maybe it's truffle season?

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 10 September 04 11:39 am

Geoƒ wrote:Who is our main page photo lady :?:
<P>If its the one I'm thinking of, that would be Snifter from 2Dogs.<P>Just on the photo and its only a "Nice to have". Can we get something saying what, where or who the photo was of or taken.<BR>For example there was a photo which I assume was taken in a cave well backlit with a sihouette standing high and mighty. Who and where??? :idea:

ideology

Post by ideology » 10 September 04 11:58 am

we've modified the state page to show new caches and made room for team logos and links on the right hand side. we'll put up the cacher links soon.

we've also added a new search option: "caches found by finders of this cache." it's the first step towards finding similar caches. it gives interesting results. for example, if you search for caches found by finders of brick brick, you get a list of nearby caches, which makes sense. if you search for finders of a a locationless cache like that's the trig, you mostly get other locationless caches. mind socket is developing a broader "similar caches" algorithm which will probably also take into account distance and similarities in terrain and difficulty. coupled with cache ratings, which will achieve amazon.com-style cache recommendations.

yes, the geo-damsel is snifter. the backlit cave is from our log of bushrat's michael. captions and stuff are a good idea! we'll have a look to see the best way to do it. at a guess we might install a photo gallery in the forum and then cycle through those on the front page.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 10 September 04 2:08 pm

Love the new format.

Great section for the Newsletter, does this mean I have to produce another one? :shock: It has been 6 months I guess...

How about a photo of a cacher cycling every minute or something? (not that we don't all like Snifter!) EcoNic in the wonder woman outfit maybe? :wink:

EcoDave :)

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 10 September 04 2:20 pm

Sheesh ppl, refresh the home page if you're that desperate, the image is random! Then again, save the boys some bandwidth expense and click another link. :p

- Rog

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 September 04 2:22 pm

ideology wrote:yes, the geo-damsel is snifter.
Shouldn't that be "damsel, distressed"?

(I hope 2,200km is far enough away...)

ideology

Post by ideology » 12 September 04 9:21 am

EcoTeam wrote:Great section for the Newsletter, does this mean I have to produce another one? :shock: It has been 6 months I guess...
yes please!
EcoTeam wrote:How about a photo of a cacher cycling every minute or something? (not that we don't all like Snifter!) EcoNic in the wonder woman outfit maybe? :wink:
were hereby dare econic to log an urban cache in her wonder woman outfit!

cacher website links
- cacher website links are now on the state pages. we tried to figure out who went in what state, but may have got some wrong. if so, please let us know.
- if we have put a link to your site, we would appreciate a link back to geocaching australia. the reason is so google will rank the site more highly. geocaching australia is currently the fifth search result for "geocaching" so we are doing pretty well, however we would link to bump off navicache! and yes, we have called it "the official australian site" in response to the secondary site claiming that it is somehow the official global site

login test
- the next wave of development (cache ratings, etc) necessitates some kind of login to the site, so we have developed a little test page to see if if can read the forum cookie to identify you. it works for us, but given the number of cookie problems that we've had in the past (hi piggy!), we thought we should give it a really good test before adding more functionallity to it
- can you please take a look at the test page at http://geocaching.com.au/my and see if it identifies you correctly. it should give some debugging info and eventually say "Welcome (username)". if it doesn't, can you please reply here with the debugging text so we can try to work out what's going on!

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 12 September 04 10:05 am

ideology wrote:
login test
- the next wave of development (cache ratings, etc) necessitates some kind of login to the site, so we have developed a little test page to see if if can read the forum cookie to identify you. it works for us, but given the number of cookie problems that we've had in the past (hi piggy!), we thought we should give it a really good test before adding more functionallity to it
- can you please take a look at the test page at http://geocaching.com.au/my and see if it identifies you correctly. it should give some debugging info and eventually say "Welcome (username)". if it doesn't, can you please reply here with the debugging text so we can try to work out what's going on!
It works for me :D great work George and George. "what is the plural of George?" :wink: .. "what do we call a gathering of Georges?.. a Kastanza?"

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 12 September 04 10:23 am

Works nicely for me.

Another question while I'm here. The banner of the page appears compressed ie. the search box and go button are hidden behind the state tabs and the grey/blue background doesn't reach below the logo. This seems to happen on all the new pages but if I change the URL to a nonexistent page (and get the page not found) the banner looks ok?? I'm using XP and IE6 with 1280 x 1094 res.

While I like the one screen leader boards, I would like to able to look beyond the top ten, I maybe in it now (for vic) but I suspect this won't be for long. :)

BTW, overall I really like the new site, excellent job.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 12 September 04 10:56 am

Login test works for me - Firefox knows I am logged in and ie thinks i'm not - which is correct for this test.
The banner looks ok to me on both browsers. ie at 1024 x 768, Firefox at 1600 x 1200

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 September 04 11:39 am

Login works for me.
IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

Checked the site out at 1280 x 1024 and it looks fine to me. The banner section looks just dandy.

Would also like to see beyond the top 10 if possible as suggested by Facitman.

Keep up the good work guys. This is becomming an amazing layout.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 12 September 04 11:43 am

CraigRat wrote:I like the idea of the state tabs.

The screen shots look great!
Have to agree. The revamp looks great. Well done to everyone involved.

Andrew

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 12 September 04 1:19 pm

G'day,
<p>
The site just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for that.
<p>
I must say I envy you. What you are doing is exactly what I like doing: stuffing around with HTML and JavaScript to implement a series of objectives. However, I've never had to accommodate the demands of others. So, not only do I envy you, but I admire your flexibility and willingness to help. Thanks for that too.
<p>
The test identified me correctly in every respect, but I did get the following error message under the "Welcome dak's Emu Mob" text:
<p>
Warning: PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "s" in<br>
gca_database_v1.php on line 13
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak