activity stats & homepage - beta testing [merged]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 September 04 8:07 pm

If you want to know what's going on more often, try Geocaching Australia's Cache Updates, which are daily emails of new caches in your state. To subscribe, edit your profile in the Garmin and Magellan. Prices vary dramatically, so it's best to ask in the forum to see where to get one at the moment.
http://geocaching.com.au/tools/

Huh?
Edit your profile in the Garmin and Magellan?
Also the link underlying Garmin is another huh?

On another note, can you see previous month leaderboards?
Don't know if it exists (yet) and I can't find a link, so just asking not requesting.

Looks good. Well laid out.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 07 September 04 8:17 pm

Well done again guys. The whole thing is becoming very polished (and interesting too).

I have done a rough check through the data listings on our personal hides and finds and note that there are a few holes in the data. I can't see any patterns to the missing data though.

On our cache hides, some finders of our caches are not listed as finders and under their own name the find is not listed. Most of these would have been around May. Similarly some of our finds are not listed probably around 30 to 40 with at least some in Jan and Feb. I know you mentioned earlier that there is some problem with the quality of data that comes through and I'm unsure if this is a related thing. I can provide examples if this will assist. Thanks again for the good work.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 07 September 04 9:17 pm

Love ya work, guys - are all the individual team pages meant to show all finds? Just wondering - Maccamob's page seems to show all their caches back to their beginning in 2002, but ours only goes back to early 2003. Happy to supply an export from GSAK if that helps.
<p>
What's the intent of the 'similar cachers' link-to-be, btw? :wink:

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 08 September 04 12:58 am

Where've I seen that beta2 page before, oh I know, mozilla. :!: :?: :?:

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 08 September 04 8:31 am

SWEET! :D

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 08 September 04 8:39 am

Looks excellent guys :D<BR>Top of the class for i!

ideology

Post by ideology » 08 September 04 10:50 am

thanks for the feedback. it looks like this is a go-er!
caughtatwork wrote:
If you want to know what's going on more often, try Geocaching Australia's Cache Updates, which are daily emails of new caches in your state. To subscribe, edit your profile in the Garmin and Magellan. Prices vary dramatically, so it's best to ask in the forum to see where to get one at the moment.
http://geocaching.com.au/tools/
Huh?
Edit your profile in the Garmin and Magellan?
Also the link underlying Garmin is another huh?
we checked the text and it looks okay on our browser. is it still wrong? if so, can you please "view source" to see what is being sent to your brower and let us know what browser you are using
caughtatwork wrote:On another note, can you see previous month leaderboards?
not yet. selectable timeframes is on our list
Rabbitto wrote:there are a few holes in the data... I know you mentioned earlier that there is some problem with the quality of data that comes through and I'm unsure if this is a related thing.
yes, it is the same problem: we don't have all the historical data. that's why the leaderboard is only the current month. we know it can look a bit misleading when comparing one team against another, but it is interesting to cruise around the data, so we put it in.
Slider & Smurf wrote:are all the individual team pages meant to show all finds? ...[our data] only goes back to early 2003.Happy to supply an export from GSAK if that helps.
we don't have full data. yes please send us your GSAK file. we would like to write an import routine which allows people to record their finds here.
Slider & Smurf wrote:What's the intent of the 'similar cachers' link-to-be, btw?
we're not sure, but we think it could be fun! there are some people who do lots of 1/1 caches, other people do the 5/1 or 1/5's. we imagined doing a cache, thinking that's nice, hot-linking to the owner, then clicking on "similar cachers" and having a look at those other caches. similar cachers might be profiled based on the average terrain/difficulty of their finds/hides, etc. we'll be enlisting mind socket to help on this, but please don't tell him, he doesn't know it yet!
Devar wrote:Where've I seen that beta2 page before, oh I know, mozilla.
10 points to you! we were looking for some nice tabs and saw them on the mozilla site. there's a quick acknowledgement on the about page which we'll pretty-up as we roll out the design onto other pages.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 08 September 04 10:54 am

So, take it out of beta and make it the primary look for the site already! Looks far more professional and easier to use.

How often are the stats going to be updated, overnight each day etc.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 September 04 10:55 am

Oh, one other thing, perhaps the map option, could link to that rather good Multimap site? No offense, but, those line drawing maps are, well, a bit horrid. :twisted:

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 September 04 11:05 am

OK, more ideas, how about this as well......

On each states page, before the leaderboard have the following 3 columns...

Top 10 easiest caches. 1/1's etc
Top 10 most popular caches.
Top 10 hardest caches. 5/5's etc

To make it fair, this would be averaged over the number of finds and number of days it has been out etc.

Same could be done for the Australia wide page, but again, like above.

Perhaps also, on each state page, a random cache from that month could be picked and some basic details shown etc, like name, link, link to stats, how long it's been out, type, number of finds, number of frownies. like a cache in profile or something.

Just a few ideas is all.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 08 September 04 11:56 am

All I can say is "Wow"

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 08 September 04 12:26 pm

we'll be enlisting mind socket to help on this, but please don't tell him, he doesn't know it yet!
I'll just keep my head under this here rock... Hey look, a cache! :P

I better start thinking about this one. I reckon the amazon.com style "people who found this cache also found ..." could be neat. Fire some data my way if you like and I'll have a play.

- Rog / Mind Socket

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 08 September 04 1:46 pm

Very nice work!<P>I notice on the 'Tools' page under 'Maps' that the only online geocaching map of Australia listed is the geocaching.com.au one. There are maps showing the caches australia-wide and in each state at http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/australia.shtml. These used to be updated daily, however none of the maps have been updated since 22 August.<P>When you mouseover a dot (indicating a cache), you get the cache's name; if you click the dot it takes you to the cache listing. Not very good for urban areas, but handy for other areas of the country/state. And of course just plain interesting to see where caches are.

Cached

Post by Cached » 08 September 04 2:42 pm

When you are actually on a caches page, it'd be good to have a link on there somewhere (maybe the cache title line) to the GC.com listing of that cache.

Also, what about 'newest'

Oh, and travel bugs :)

Won't need to use GC.com much more!

Cached

Post by Cached » 08 September 04 3:27 pm

the link to 'scargoes (caching team) doesn't work.... Think it needs to include the apostrophe http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/'scargoes