What's new on Geocaching Australia

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Re: What's new on Geocaching Australia

Post by Dvixen » 21 December 09 12:50 pm

Re: Canadian skin - is it intentional that the Shop tab is a different red than the other tabs?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 December 09 1:03 pm

Yes.

It's the same on the AU, NZ and GU skins too. Maybe a bit more subtle, but they are different. It's a sort of "annoyance" to make you notice the shop and "buy some stuff".

Although we only ship to AU, so that's a bit of a problem for the international skins.

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 21 December 09 1:50 pm

Oki. On my screen, it's not so much subtle as OMG THIS IS RED, THE OTHER RED IS A POSER!

Grabs my attention, which reminds me to go look for shinies. So I'd say the pavlov conditioning is in full force! :D

caughtatwork

Coming Soon - Individual watchlist and cache owner email upd

Post by caughtatwork » 22 December 09 9:54 pm

Coming Soon - Individual watchlist and cache owner email updates

At the moment GCA puts out a daily emailer when someone makes a log on a cache that is on your watch list or you are the cache owner.

This was done in a bulk email each morning in part due to server resources and in part because there were not a significant number of caches being logged. The situation has changed now in that we have a bigger server and a lot more logs being made.

We will we shortly be moving from a daily bulk email of your watch list and owned caches to an individual email for each log made. This will probably be done next week so this is just a headsup at this stage.

Emails will be dispatched every 5 minutes (i.e. 05, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and 00). If a log has been made (or edited) any time in previous 5 minutes and it is on your watchlist you will receive a GCA Watchlist Update email. Same thing if you own a cache, you will get a GCA Owner Update email. Deleted logs will not be sent through.

This will mean an increase in your email load from Geocaching Australia. The significant benefit however is that you know almost (well no more than 5 minutes) instantly that someone has logged a cache that is on your watchlist or you own.

For the first week will run both instant and bulk notifications just to make sure you don't miss anything and then we'll do away with the bulk email for watchlists and owner emails.

Changed and new caches will still come out in bulk in the morning. These will not change.

ROMA123
500 or more caches logged

Post by ROMA123 » 22 December 09 10:14 pm

That will be great, thanks C@W \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 December 09 11:15 pm

Yeah, this was inspired by the moving cache race and the desire to see a find on a cache so I knew someone had beaten me to it. We're testing for a few days then we'll start the email flood :-)

ROMA123

Post by ROMA123 » 23 December 09 11:13 am

The moving cache race was what I was thinking of too.....you can add me to the testing emails if you like \:D/

caughtatwork

Geocaches in Banned Zones

Post by caughtatwork » 23 December 09 9:40 pm

grahamf72 wrote:<skip> I think it should, but with a warning not only to hiders, but to viewers of the cache page also. By doing this it will make more people aware of the issues, and will likely reduce the incidence of people placing caches only to find out AFTERWARDS that it is not allowed.
Warning for seekers regarding geocaches in banned zones has now been placed in the cache page.

Examples.
GCA: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0121
GC: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc10xz8

Thanks for the suggestion. A most worthy use of pixels :-)

Nilbog_Aus
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Nilbog_Aus » 23 December 09 10:26 pm

Will the new email system cover swaggies too?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 December 09 10:37 pm

Yes, it will.

Nilbog_Aus
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Nilbog_Aus » 24 December 09 9:08 am

caughtatwork wrote:Yes, it will.
Excellent \:D/ Thanks =D>

Now where did I put those trinkets I have been meaning to swaggify...

ROMA123

Post by ROMA123 » 25 December 09 8:51 pm

Thanks C@W this is much better, able to keep a better track of the moves like this =D> \:D/ :D

caughtatwork

Watchlist and Owner emails

Post by caughtatwork » 25 December 09 10:00 pm

At the moment GCA puts out a daily emailer when someone makes a log on a cache or swaggie that is on your watch list or you are the cache or swaggie owner.

We have tonight (21:55 AEDST) moved from a daily bulk email of your watch list for caches and swaggies and owned caches and swaggie to an individual email for each log made.

Emails will be dispatched every 5 minutes (i.e. 05, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and 00). If a log has been made (or edited) any time in previous 5 minutes and it is on your watchlist you will receive a GCA Watchlist Update email. Same thing if you own a cache or swaggie, you will get a GCA Owner Update email. Deleted logs will not be sent through.

This will mean an increase in your email load from Geocaching Australia. The significant benefit however is that you know almost (well no more than 5 minutes) instantly that someone has logged a cache or swaggie that is on your watchlist or you own.

For the first week will run both instant and bulk notifications just to make sure you don't miss anything and then we'll do away with the bulk email for watchlists and owner emails.

Changed and new caches will still come out in bulk in the morning. These will not change.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 25 December 09 10:52 pm

=D> =D> Fantastic just got an owner update of my movable cache in the caching race. Awesome

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 26 December 09 11:40 pm

tronador wrote:=D> =D> Fantastic just got an owner update of my movable cache in the caching race. Awesome
Yep - Me too. Great feature. Thanks