Moveable Cache Race

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Re: Moveable Cache Race

Post by caughtatwork » 15 December 09 11:12 pm

Coffee and Cache wrote:I'm wondering if it is possible to highlight the existence of these caches somehow, perhaps on the daily email?

Most of the moves, some quite heroic, have been made by cachers playing the game. This is not really surprising of course, but I wonder if it is due in part to the majority of GCA members being unaware of their presence? I suspect being movable doesn't help of course, or being GCA for that matter :-( Some GCA members may also think they are not supposed to move these caches because they are not actually signed up to play.

Sooner or later some of the players may run out of steam, or the caches might wind up out of reach of the players, and then they may need a little extra help?
This will go out in the daily emailer until the end of this month. Then remind me to change the words and set up a new one until the end of January.
The 2009/2010 Moving cache race.
What is a moving cache? http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Moveable_cache
What is the moving cache race all about? http://www.cachinggames.com/mcr/
You don't have to have a cache in the game to enjoy the fun of moving a cache along. Movement of caches is open for everyone to enjoy. Beware. They move fast and move often so find the location, get in there and get out before someone else does.
Check out where the moving caches are now. http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/gmap/1918 or http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/screen/1918
Maybe you can spot one and move it along for both the fun of finding a cache, the game and of course, the opportunity to win a prize.
There are prizes for 5 random cachers who move a cache in the game period. The prize is a new Geocaching Australia Pathtag.
Come on and join in the fun.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 15 December 09 11:44 pm

That's brilliant - thanks caughtatwork.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 16 December 09 7:27 am

There's also nothing to stop late entries is there? It doesn't take much to rack up the kms so if someone was feeling left out they could contribute - would be good to have another in Sydney!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 16 December 09 2:09 pm

I'm quite impressed by how far to the moon we've all managed to get so far :D It's kind of nice that we have a common goal, as well as the goal I personally have to beat you all :twisted:

But I'm not sure we'll actually get there by the end of the game becasue a fair lot of the distance has been Yurt's business travel all over the country and this seems to be coming to an end for now. Are there any others who forsee a lot of business trips before the end of January? Well, non-business trips too for that matter.

Personally, I'll be on my pushbike a bit but that only seems to rack up very short distances.

ROMA123
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by ROMA123 » 17 December 09 8:06 pm

I was wondering C@W, is it possible to get all or some of the positions of the Race on the GCA Home Page, or the Individual State Pages...just another idea to "get it out there" ? :-k

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 17 December 09 9:02 pm

ROMA123 wrote:I was wondering C@W, is it possible to get all or some of the positions of the Race on the GCA Home Page, or the Individual State Pages...just another idea to "get it out there" ? :-k
I was wondering if it is at all possable to get the track like the Geocoins have i was playing with Google Earth & was able to get it to make the track but i had to manualy enter the coords.
is there any way we can get the coords extracted from the logs? (ie:a macro or someway}
To see in a graphical form. like the geocoins do?

stringy

Post by stringy » 17 December 09 9:06 pm

Rigger64 wrote:
ROMA123 wrote:I was wondering C@W, is it possible to get all or some of the positions of the Race on the GCA Home Page, or the Individual State Pages...just another idea to "get it out there" ? :-k
I was wondering if it is at all possable to get the track like the Geocoins have i was playing with Google Earth & was able to get it to make the track but i had to manualy enter the coords.
is there any way we can get the coords extracted from the logs? (ie:a macro or someway}
that would be cool....

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 17 December 09 9:36 pm

Rigger64 wrote:
I was wondering about that too, would be good to see them on the map to track the moves. Currently we can only see their last position and it always kicks off in Adelaide!
Jeez we ask for a lot! :?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 December 09 10:12 pm

http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/screen/1918

Pick a cache and click on it.
On the right hand side, about halfway down there is a link to a Google Earth kml file.
That will open GE and show you the tracks and each stop for the cache you have selected.

I won't put them all on one map as it gets too confusing to view all at once with lines crossing everywhere.

e.g. http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1683.kml

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 17 December 09 11:04 pm

Thank you C@W that looks Great & works a treat thats precisly what i was looking for Thank you very much for pointing it out.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 17 December 09 11:04 pm

caughtatwork wrote:http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/screen/1918

On the right hand side, about halfway down there is a link to a Google Earth kml file.
That will open GE and show you the tracks and each stop for the cache you have selected.

I won't put them all on one map as it gets too confusing to view all at once with lines crossing everywhere.

Oooo I like this very nice indeed. :D :D =D> =D>

Hunter-Finder
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by Hunter-Finder » 18 December 09 9:54 am

tronador wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/screen/1918

Oooo I like this very nice indeed. :D :D =D> =D>
I've found I can get other cachers up on the same GE screen for comparison. It looks really cool. Thanks C@W =D> \:D/

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 22 December 09 3:02 pm

Anyone notice that On Her Majesty's Postal Service has jumped to 43 moves? :shock:
It looks like it went on a trip similar to one going on in NZ!

I see ours is getting some kms on it too. Excellent!

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 22 December 09 3:13 pm

My NZ trip isn't actually clocking up that many moves :( It's only got 9 moves all up so there's NO way I'll ever catch up to 43 moves. But it has had a nice tour around the country and managed to land on a glacier up on Mt Cook last stop. But cold there I reckon though (insert shivering smilie here)

So I reckon we'll all have a lot of trouble getting more moves up that On Her Majesties Postal Service :evil:

But it's anyone's race for the distance still with inter-state flights in January probably the decider. I guess it's a matter of whether you want your cache back or whether you're prepared to send it into flight with little chance of a return to it's home.

stringy

Post by stringy » 22 December 09 5:51 pm

Now......

Say if my cache got muggled.... and had to replace, can I hide in a different place?

it could be muggled since a person hasn't found it as yet.