TrigPointing

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you activly hunt trig points as part of your caching activities?

Poll ended at 11 April 09 2:33 am

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found

Re: TrigPointing

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 16 October 09 9:34 pm

To add to C@W's summary, there is also some info on the Wiki.

Its basic at the moment but it provides some info about the more technical side of things. Its available here

Posspet Boys
3000 or more caches found

Post by Posspet Boys » 16 October 09 9:42 pm

Scenario.
TP is archived by me because "I" believe it is not available. Then it is no longer listed.
But someone else has another way to it legitimately and wants to log it. A bit like a DNF of a cache, it's archived then but it is still there.
Also unless, in the future, you have the original list you would not know of this TP unless you are just out there and aware of these types realizing that nearly all TP's are on the list.
Apologies if this has previously been discussed.
Cheers

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 October 09 9:51 pm

Posspet Boys wrote:Scenario.
TP is archived by me because "I" believe it is not available. Then it is no longer listed.
But someone else has another way to it legitimately and wants to log it. A bit like a DNF of a cache, it's archived then but it is still there.
They can log a find. They can also log an unarchived log against the cache and reactivate it if they have a legitimate way into the location. Effectively TrigPoints are community caches and any member of the community can edit the cache, archive it or unarchive it provided they don't do it maliciously.
Posspet Boys wrote:Scenario.
Also unless, in the future, you have the original list you would not know of this TP unless you are just out there and aware of these types realizing that nearly all TP's are on the list.
I would think that most TPs which are archived as being on private property will stay that way. If it turns out that someone finds a way into the TP the can unarchive it (see above). If they didn't know that a TP listing existed (as it had been archived) they can create a new one if they find a legitimate way into the TP.

Some TPs will never be found because no-one knows they're there or they have been archived by someone and THEN a legitimate way in is made, but no-one knows to unarchive the TP. This will never be perfect, but hopefully will be more fun for those in rural areas.

Posspet Boys

Post by Posspet Boys » 17 October 09 9:22 am

Thanks for that.
OK. One last question. Is there a dashboard for the results of TP Finds/DNF's/Archived etc? It would be interesting to see the results over time and possibly a map as it develops.

TeamGeoPlesk

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 17 October 09 9:39 am

Not as yet that i know of, i suppose that would be the sort of thing that would be devolped in time.

fathrtime

Post by fathrtime » 30 October 09 10:59 am

Firstly, Thanks to all who have put in enormous effort to get TPs into GCA!

I have recently come back to Oz from the US where I really got into finding US benchmarks via the GC US site. I was really excited to find that GCA and Waymarking.com also have dedicated followers of finding these points.

I personally find TP/control point searching much more rewarding than caching and wanted to encourage any cachers who are not sure about it to give it a go because:

1. The search is really involved. Many of these points have been "lost" and finding them is far more challenging than finding hidden caches someone hid a week ago with accurate co-ords! I use Mapconnect online Topo maps: http://www.ga.gov.au/mapconnect to find the small black squared benchmarks and triangular horizontal control point symbols. Then I normally cross reference with Google Earth/maps to determine access and whether on private property etc.

2. Great for bushwalkers as these points are usually on peaks and sometimes are located off-trail.

3. There are thousands of these out there and you've got a pretty good shot at a FTF!

4. These marks survive bushfires and can't be stolen so you know it's still there if you can find it!

The one mistake that GC US has made is they have imported publicly available surveying data from USGS which unfortunately has thousands of surveying marks which are just metal studs or painted marks on the ground. In my opinion, metal Trig stations, proper benchmark metal disks and towers which double as VC points are a worthwhile find.

Like other posts, I've found a bunch which are not in the 4900 already listed and will transfer them in after logging on Waymarking.com.

Cheers,
Levi

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 04 November 09 12:40 am

At the weekend I found a trig point on French Island (TP4477). It was somewhat of a trial getting to and it would be an FTF which would be nice, but I'm uncertain whether I should log the find (well actually delete the log) because although I found the large pyramidal wooden tower structure on top of a hill at the GZ, there was no sign of a geodetic marker.

The area under the tower was overgrown with blackberries etc, and it's was hard to be certain if something was buried under all the undergrowth, but it appeared not.

It this a legit find in the spirit of the new trig point caches? It was certainly a spectacular spot, as long as you discount the zillions of mosquitos and blow-flies!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 November 09 8:46 am

There's no picture on the log so I can't tell, but as far as I'm concerned, if you got to the structure and have taken said picture with GPS or you in the picture, then you've found the TP and you're good to go. Post your picture to the log and be happy that you've found the TP.

The TP at the top of Mt Macedon has no visible geodetic marker either as I believe it's buried as was common at those times. The fact that the TP cairn is clearly in the picture is indication that it's a good find.

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 04 November 09 9:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There's no picture on the log so I can't tell, but as far as I'm concerned, if you got to the structure and have taken said picture with GPS or you in the picture, then you've found the TP and you're good to go. Post your picture to the log and be happy that you've found the TP.

The TP at the top of Mt Macedon has no visible geodetic marker either as I believe it's buried as was common at those times. The fact that the TP cairn is clearly in the picture is indication that it's a good find.
Thanks caughtatwork - I've got the photo etc and will complete the log soon.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 02 December 09 2:41 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There's no picture on the log so I can't tell, but as far as I'm concerned, if you got to the structure and have taken said picture with GPS or you in the picture, then you've found the TP and you're good to go. Post your picture to the log and be happy that you've found the TP.

How about the converse? I once found a marker while placing a cache - it was labeled "Geodetic Survey Victoria" and "Triangulation Station" and stamped with the number 69313 but it didn't have a cairn or pyramidal frame above it and it doesn't appear as one of our trigpoint caches. I have the co-ords and pictures - should I add it, or do they need to have the frame to count?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 09 7:08 pm

Shoot me the picture and I'll have a quiz.

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 04 December 09 4:07 pm

Guilty of not having read all 13 pages. Flame me if it has been asked before.
Is there a chance this could include New Zealand as they have some very good Trig Points.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 09 4:34 pm

There is indeed a chance.
Someone needs to give me the co-ords, which island it's on and a name and then we can make it happen.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 04 December 09 9:11 pm

Is there a way to filter out the trig points from my dashboard as there are just so many and they flood the page. 8-[

bshwckr
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 04 December 09 9:14 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There is indeed a chance.
Someone needs to give me the co-ords, which island it's on and a name and then we can make it happen.
How about a kml file? I just downloaded one from LINZ and it showed all the trig beacons on Google Earth. Click on the link and it gives extra data.