Team cards cuasing a problem.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should team cards be banned ?

Yes, Ban them from all caches.
73%
Only ban them for caches in public parks.
No votes
No, There good.
8%
I like candy.
19%

Total votes: 99

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Team cards cuasing a problem.

Post by covert » 20 October 09 3:16 pm

At a unrelated event to caching I started talking with someone about caching to find out there a park ranger. They knew about geocaching and seemed to think it had a place Parks Victoria.

We talked extensively about it for some time and one topic concerned me greatly. He knew there where geocachers in some area's from team cards being found that just looked like rubbish. We both agreed that they where not meant to be left laying around on purpose but there supposed to be in the cache container it self. Also drew a conclusion there must be a cache near by that area.

He then asked me what value these team cards add to the cache. I had no answer for it. We discussed it for some time and agreed there most likely to turn into rubbish (litter) and give no extra value to the cache (like swag does). His conclusion was teams should use the log book to say they where there. I told him they also sign the log book as well. At this stage I started to feel a bit stupid not having reasonable answer to his questions. I then changed the topic to path tags that he seemed very interested about.

So what do the geocachers think ?
What value do the team cards offer to a cache ?
How do the teams who have these cards feel about not using them ?
How do the team who don't use them feel about finding them in a cache ?

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Re: Team cards cuasing a problem.

Post by J_&_J » 20 October 09 5:50 pm

I find them annoying when they spill out of the zip-lock bag and I have to gather them up and replace them. Surely people aren't in that much of a rush they can't open the log book to write their name. I see more of the prolific finders are using stamps to sign the log book, which is far better than preparing a bunch of cards to leave behind. We used to place a small cow sticker in the logbook next to our handwritten entry. Now we have address labels printed up that we stick to a page in the logbook, much more geocache friendly than a loose card.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 October 09 6:00 pm

covert wrote:So what do the geocachers think ?
What value do the team cards offer to a cache ?
How do the teams who have these cards feel about not using them ?
How do the team who don't use them feel about finding them in a cache ?
I'm a geocacher and I think (well, sometimes that is).

None that I can think of. Your name goes in the logbook, not as a collection of 20 pieces of cardboard that end up not fitting back into the cache.

Can't answer question 3.

I hate them. Traders don't them, they aren't for trading, they get in the way, they turn to mush when the cache gets wet, the don't fit back in, they fall out, they are litter.

My opinion, void where prohibited.

Shael6636
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Shael6636 » 20 October 09 6:05 pm

I would have to agree, i dont see the real point in finders cards. They constantly fallout, the laminated ones can alos poke holes into the log Book bag thus letting warter inside.

I thinkthe stamps and stickers is a much better option and its ^&*^*&@# irratating having to pick the cards up when they fall out as well.

If someone has the time to place the finders card in the log book bag it really doesnt take all that much longer to scrawl an actual log entry :-k

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 20 October 09 6:08 pm

I thought team cards were like a signature item and so collectable.

I collect them when I find them.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 20 October 09 6:18 pm

team cards can annoy me, in that they arent a trade item really, and theyre just something to fall out of zip lock bags and eh. idk. i think there may be better alternatives, but after all, its a very open sport, so i'm easy, unthus i shall fence-sit.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 20 October 09 6:49 pm

I can understand the idea behind team cards. I do not like them as they are another piece of paper that can be lost outside of the cache and I have found some finds due to some cache container contents maninly cards not being taken or put back.

I looked at this option and I decided to have two stamps made. One samll and one slightly bigger. If I remember to take my stamps with me I leave this impression in the book. On the other hand sheets of labels are now so cheap that i have had different version s made. Also i use these if I remember to put them in my day bag when I go caching. my two cents worth.

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 20 October 09 7:56 pm

I chose the Candy option, mainly because I like lollies. The other reason, is because despite thinking that team cards are a silly idea - mere rubbish IMHO - I think the suggestion that they should be "banned" just brings another level of unnecessary regulation.

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 20 October 09 8:22 pm

I like most others find them to be a pain. Generally no use to me all, and just clutter that gets in the way.

However I do have nice story about one card. Freddo from Adelaide was caching in Auckland and having a lot of trouble with a certain Lizard cache under a freeway. I recalled that there had been a cacher card with a phone number in a cache nearby. So I went back to that cache collected the card and phoned the cacher. At the time that cacher was out of town in NSW. So there was an Aussie cacher roaming in NZ phoning a Kiwi cacher roaming in Oz. The phone company is loving this. We discussed the cache and he tried to give me some assistance. In the end I posted another DNF. :shock:

I do like Mundoo's idea. If we collected them for phone numbers then they might go away.

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 21 October 09 12:06 am

Rubbish with no real use. Actively remove all cards from all caches found. Just 1 more thing to spill on the ground. If I wanted my caches to be easily found by the phone/a/friend technique, I would have left my phone number.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 21 October 09 2:59 am

This thread has inspired me to put my phone number in each of my caches so that if people are having trouble finding it they can call me ......... ](*,) :lol:

NotHisRealName

Post by NotHisRealName » 21 October 09 10:09 am

Being fairly new to the game, I didn't know what the point of the team cards when I first started.

Now, I might start collecting them - kinda like trainspotting.

This will keep the cache clean, and gives me another little bonus when finding caches.

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 21 October 09 10:49 am

Personally I see no point in them :-k , but it would be nice to hear from someone that uses them as to why they do it etc.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 21 October 09 11:46 am

Freddo wrote:I like most others find them to be a pain. Generally no use to me all, and just clutter that gets in the way.

However I do have nice story about one card. Freddo from Adelaide was caching in Auckland and having a lot of trouble with a certain Lizard cache under a freeway. I recalled that there had been a cacher card with a phone number in a cache nearby. So I went back to that cache collected the card and phoned the cacher. At the time that cacher was out of town in NSW. So there was an Aussie cacher roaming in NZ phoning a Kiwi cacher roaming in Oz. The phone company is loving this. We discussed the cache and he tried to give me some assistance. In the end I posted another DNF. :shock:

I do like Mundoo's idea. If we collected them for phone numbers then they might go away.
Ah, that's a good use. As the cache owners don't clean them I think I will in future.