Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Twitter: Grumpykev

Post by KevL » 13 January 09 11:35 am

SecretSquirrel-BJC wrote:If I only wanted to spend 200, I would just buy a yellow etrex from Dick Smith. However if I wanted to spend $500, I would buy an Oregon, and save up for OzTopo maps later.

I love the Oregon
BAD808 wrote: So when u say yellow, do you mean the H ???? $500 is waaay over my limit. Thats why I put the upper limit of 2fiddy.

The yellow etrex h can be had for $135 at Johnny Appleseed.
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin-etrex-h.htm
For the base mapping unit, the non h model legend is $239
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gpsprod_etrexlegend.html
Other retailers online will probably be around the same price.
I use the legend and it gets me plenty close enough.

The more you spend the better the solution as usual. The oregon gives you paperless caching, access to descriptions and logs etc. I use an iPhone and the geocaching app for the same info (so long at there is nextg signal). A little planning beforehand and a printer will give the same info in hard copy for less money.

Kev

EvilDan

Post by EvilDan » 13 January 09 11:55 am

BAD808 wrote:What do you think of the VistaCX. I can get one on eBay for the right price ATM. Or the VentureCX they are a little cheaper than the Vista.
Both will do you fine.
The main difference is that the Vista includes electronic compass and barometric altimeter.
I had the Venture cx for 2 years of caching, and it was a great unit. I then broke it and now have the Vista hcx, and I don't use the extra features (yet).
The Venture ONLY uses a MicroSD card for memory, but you can buy a 1GB on ebay for a few dollars. You just then need to load maps onto it (send me a private message if you don't know a cheap way to do this) otherwise it's essentially the same as the plain non-mapping yellow etrex H.

BAD808

Post by BAD808 » 13 January 09 4:16 pm

big_matt wrote:
BAD808 wrote:What do you think of the VistaCX.
<P>The Vista is one tough little unit. We have just retired our Vista C after 1650+ finds. A very reliable unit that was dropped off cliffs, fell in more than one creek, etc. I'm sure you would be happy with this Vista.
Thank you big_matt, Thanks what I was hoping to hear.
KevL wrote: The yellow etrex h can be had for $135 at Johnny Appleseed.

The more you spend the better the solution as usual. The oregon gives you paperless caching, access to descriptions and logs etc. I use an iPhone and the geocaching app for the same info (so long at there is nextg signal). A little planning beforehand and a printer will give the same info in hard copy for less money.
Cheers KevL
I saw those prices on jonny-appleseed. But when I looked the other day the legend was $319. That's what got me thinking of the Vista Cx for $239. similar options for less money. I have a printer at home so I can do the planning before I head off.
EvilDan wrote: Both will do you fine.
The main difference is that the Vista includes electronic compass and barometric altimeter.
I had the Venture cx for 2 years of caching, and it was a great unit. I then broke it and now have the Vista hcx, and I don't use the extra features (yet).
The Venture ONLY uses a MicroSD card for memory, but you can buy a 1GB on ebay for a few dollars. You just then need to load maps onto it (send me a private message if you don't know a cheap way to do this) otherwise it's essentially the same as the plain non-mapping yellow etrex H.
Thanks EvilDan,
I appreciate you guys taking your time to guide me though this. I think Ive almost decided on the Vista Cx to start with. But im going back to check the price on the Legend first.

Anyone Else ???

cheers
BAD808

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 13 January 09 7:02 pm

I am , I mean, have a legend, and cannot fault it except that it does not have proximity alarms, but in all other aspects, it is a legend. i wanted to get the cammo one, but I just covered it in cammo tape [:)]

BAD808

Post by BAD808 » 14 January 09 12:59 pm

Hi Boagsratz,
How is Tassie?, I'm from Latrobe originally. My brother works in the Supercheap Auto in Burnie !!
I hope to do some caching when I'm back there later this year!

cheers
BAD808

BAD808

Post by BAD808 » 14 January 09 1:06 pm

KevL wrote:

The yellow etrex h can be had for $135 at Johnny Appleseed.

Kev
According to the JA website the Legend is discontinued :cry:

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 14 January 09 5:01 pm

KevL wrote: A little planning beforehand and a printer will give the same info in hard copy for less money. Kev
Save the trees :)

dadegroot
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dadegroot » 14 January 09 10:49 pm

I got an Oregon 300 for Christmas - best GPSr ever :)

Given my last one was a Magellan Tracker (circa 1998), maybe my opinion might be a little biased.

The paperless caching works great, and combined with CityNav and OzTopo maps it's pretty much the perfect solution.

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 25 January 09 12:00 am

I reckon that if you're not too sure, go for the yellow etrex H from JohnnyAppleseed. No frills, they just work. I have a Colorado, and Judy has my old yellow etrex, and when caching together near GZ it's about 50-50 on the find ratio. There is a lot more pfaffing around printing sheets etc, but at least you can upload the waypoints to the unit. The yellow one is much lighter and more rugged, so can go more places - mine used to go windsurfing and regularly went under 10 ft of water depending on the severity of the stack. I wouldn't let the Colorado near water of any sort.
With the yellow you can get out there pretty quickly, get a feel for what sort of thing irks you, and get one at a later date that has the features you like.

Using the yellow is much like going after the lion with just a spear - much more satisfaction on he kill.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 13 May 09 1:50 pm

Just thought I'd post my two bobs having recently got into this. Thanks for all the advice - I went out and got the Garmin Etrex H from Dick Smith for $132 - they had it for $139 but JB HiFi had the lower price so they matched. Staff had no idea about them and didn't know anything about cables. Luckily I found a post here that referred to an eBay retailer who had cables at a very good price which I ordered (about $25). Mine just turned up yesterday and have loaded up a lot of local waypoints now. The only problem is that the cable is not compatible with with the ports on my main computer the IBM Thinkpad T42 but it is with the old T22. I'd assume there's an adapter out there for USB ports.

Have to say the accuracy of this beast is pretty good with our first find right under our feet so to speak! Have only had one 'failure' which was at a difficult spot with a buried cache and it was under the trees so the WPT kept 'moving'.

It did pick up signal to 4m accuracy inside my house last night!

Will give this one a go for a while and maybe upgrade later.

Derringer
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 13 May 09 4:09 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GARMIN-eTrex-eMa ... 1|294%3A50

Just purchased one of these for my Etrex Summit and Geko 201
Works a treat!!!

Kevin

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 13 May 09 5:24 pm

Derringer wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GARMIN-eTrex-eMa ... 1|294%3A50

Just purchased one of these for my Etrex Summit and Geko 201
Works a treat!!!

Kevin
Yes same vendor - I probably should have bought that one instead. Oh well at least I get the alternative power source (car lighter plug).

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 13 May 09 10:00 pm

Re the Colorado vs Oregon debate, can anyone tell me which is easier to enter data into, the Colorado or a 60CSx?

As Garmin Australia (but not Garmin USA) is now not selling the Colorado here there are some units still available for $100 under the current selling price and so it may be worthwhile to get.

aussie-O's
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Post by aussie-O's » 14 September 09 8:19 pm

Hi,

Can somebody tell me if the oregon 200 is mac compatible?

Thanks

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Re: Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Post by Echo » 28 October 09 3:21 pm

Has anyone tried the Dakota 20?