iPhone Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged

iPhone Apps

Post by Fairly Magic » 14 July 09 3:36 pm

Hi

I'm shop sitting, have super fast broad band, no annoying customers and a new iPhone (to replace a stolen NavToy).

What gets the vote for Twitter and Caching? And where to I get them? Choice overload is what I have found, so I'm playing in the new forums and looking for help.

Cheers Quilter

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: iPhone Apps

Post by penguin » 14 July 09 3:50 pm

Can't comment on Twitter, but for caching, I use the Geocaching app from Groundspeak.

Available in the app store for $12.99 I think. Well worth the cost IMHO.

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 14 July 09 4:09 pm

Thanks.

I'm having a bit of dejavu remembering when we first started caching with the navtoy and just using the lats and longs, then being shown the light by The Energisers and Horus with all sorts of wonderful tools and toys. Hoping to have a shorter learning curve with this new gadget.

I have been spoilt over the years by GSAK. I noticed in another thread a none too subtle hint to Clyde about GSAK for iPhone :) - now that would be heaven. :D

Cheers Quilter

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 14 July 09 10:51 pm

Ever so slightly off-topic but both Wibbles are sitting here in a similar situation - new iPhones and broadband and the App store sitting there, taunting us.

Already downloaded the groundspeak app and while we haven't actually tried it out properly, playing around with it, it looks like a very good platform indeed.

The off-topic part is asking for advice or recommendations from existing iPhone users on other apps that they have found amusing/useful/good value. Not necessarily caching related. 8)

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 14 July 09 11:10 pm

Team Wibble wrote: The off-topic part is asking for advice or recommendations from existing iPhone users on other apps that they have found amusing/useful/good value. Not necessarily caching related. 8)
Flight Control - free - highly addictive game.
Paper Toss - free - another addictive game.
Facebook - free - great for mobile facebooking.
Shazam - free - great gimmick for working out what that song is called.
Wikipanion - free - great for accessing Wikipaedia.
iTot Cards - ~$2.00 (I think) - flash cards that are great for keeping toddlers occupied (my 2 year old LOVES this one).
Evernote - free - great cross-platform (available on Mac & PC) app for capturing and organising information.
Epocrates is also pretty good, but useless unless you're a nurse/doc/pharmacist.

Also, of you didn't realise - the calculator that comes with the iPhone turns into a scientific calculator if you turn it on it's side.

Hope this helps.

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 14 July 09 11:24 pm

Team Wibble wrote:The off-topic part is asking for advice or recommendations from existing iPhone users on other apps that they have found amusing/useful/good value. Not necessarily caching related. 8)
The non-installed apps that I use most often are:
NetNewsWire - free - RSS reader. Syncs with NewsGator to stay current with the desktop version. May also sync to other desktop applications.
Geocaching App - you already know about that one!
Aussie Rules LIVE - $3.99 - good for checking the footy scores :roll:.

I have been trialling the following apps for less than a week, but can see that they will stay around:
iiQuotaFree - free - tracks data and call usage for many Australian phone and internet providers.
Run Keeper - free - uses the GPS to record details about 'outdoor fitness activities'. Saved tracks are summarised in an online account.
Oz Weather - $2.49 - Australian weather directly from the Bureau of Meteorology.

I have other apps such as Shazam, but they don't get used very often (and are mostly gimmicks).

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 04 August 09 12:10 pm

Is there an iphone application that will allow me to store waypoints for all tas caches for example, like i can with ozi? Just picked up my iphone today and want to get it set up. The geo app seems to be just for gc caches, so would like to have a program that would show gca caches as well.

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 04 August 09 1:26 pm

I had PPQuery on the old motorola v3xx I wonder if that has translated to iPhone?

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 04 August 09 4:31 pm

just loaded the groundspeak app. It looks great. Can't find a way to load gca caches as a file into one of the other programs though, and not real happy trying to run one set of caches on one program, and then another. Oh well.

The iphone is really very pretty.... and shiny...

It's MY precioussss

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 August 09 7:00 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote:Can't find a way to load gca caches as a file into one of the other programs though, and not real happy trying to run one set of caches on one program, and then another. Oh well.
Just use GSAK to export the GPX file, it will convert it into the right format for your app, but does the GC app allow you to use GPX files, or does it HAVE to get the caches off their site via direct connection only?

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 05 August 09 11:39 am

Hi

only allows search of gc.com. Can get pocket queries from gc.com but still no gca caches.

I'm guessing that gsak will give you what you need, and load it via a datafile?

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 05 August 09 7:04 pm

it loads directly from the site, or from a gc generated pocket query.

Can load a gsak file with airsharing as html, (thanks swampy), but cant load these on a mapping program it seems

red tag
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by red tag » 05 August 09 8:53 pm

Hey CPs

you should be able to load GPX files from any source with iGeocacher or Geosphere (but they are yet more apps that you need to buy) or you could load the coords only via Geopher Lite (I think this has better GPS performance than the geocaching program, but it IS a simpler program so good for a back up)

red tag

Post by red tag » 06 August 09 2:16 pm

I just checked - you can definitely load GCA caches into geosphere (but only an unzipped file) by direct download. Interestingly a .gpx file generated by GSAK works much better (you get all the information) than downloading direct from GCA (you only get waypoint data). Is there any difference between the two files I wonder?
I doubt whether the groundspeak app will ever allow downloads from another source other than GC.com! Even a Whereigo app is probably going to be a separate app!

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 06 August 09 6:41 pm

yeah i had a look at geopher but that will only hold 330 waypoints so i rejected that because unlike some we still have about 900 caches in tasmania!!

I havent looked at igeocacher yet nor geosphere