iPhone???

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc

Do you have an iPhone?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 57

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

iPhone???

Post by Camstal » 05 July 09 10:24 pm

I am interested in buying an iPhone but I am wondering if it is worth it. I was going to inquire about a $60 Phone Plan with Telstra and I am only going to get the 3G model not the 3GS model.

Does it run the Where I Go Platform to find Wherigo Caches and does it have any software for Geocaching?

I don't know much about the iPhone so I will be interested to know about any comments about it.

Thanks,
Camstal

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 06 July 09 5:51 pm

There are apps for geocaching and at a recent event I spoke to one cacher, Jaffnut, who sometimes uses her iPhone for caching. There have been a few podcasts about caching with iPhones - you'll find plenty with a quick search.

My daughter has the 16gb 3G and is much happier now the software's been updated as the keyboard can be used in landscape mode, which is much quicker to type on. She definitely likes the cool factor.

She has a few apps and music on it, takes lots of photos with it and uses the internet a lot, so be realistic about your data use. It's so easy to check email or whatever that it can get expensive.

One of my sons, who works in IT, has an 8gb iPod touch (same as the iPhone but without the phone capability) and he's running out of storage because of all the apps, music and games he's got on it. The graphics are brilliant. He loves the iPod touch but would never get the iPhone because of the size - he hates big phones.

One really cute looking, geocaching-like application is this: http://www.thehiddenpark.com/

Everyone at our house has a different phone, from Blackberries to cheapo Nokias, and the iPhone is definitely the most beautiful with the best applications.

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Camstal » 06 July 09 6:10 pm

I have another question...Would it be better to get a 3G plan instead of a 2G plan?

listmaker
700 or more Caches found

Post by listmaker » 06 July 09 6:54 pm

If no one else answers this one, my son said he'd check it out and get back to me in an hour or so. He's been in telecommunications for a few years.

Did find this:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 30501.html

Whatever you do, get some data included. My daughter's got a monthly 1.5gb data allowance and she still goes over it sometimes.

Oh, and she said she has to charge it every second day, sometimes every one and a half days.

listmaker
700 or more Caches found

Post by listmaker » 06 July 09 7:35 pm

According to my ex-Telstra son, there aren't any 2G plans anymore.

Either way, you can choose to use the 2G or 3G networks through the phone. He uses 2G unless there's no signal as it conserves battery life. He said that all of the sites he uses are mobile-specific so it's not that much slower. However, he's not using an iPhone. My daughter reckons they're both "so slow", which my son says is because she's with Optus!!

Not sure that's any help!!

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Camstal » 06 July 09 7:37 pm

Well according to Telstra.com it is still claiming their is 2G plans but the website might not be as updated as it says.

Thanks for the help Listmaker,
Camstal

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 06 July 09 9:12 pm

Regarding WhereIGo the answer is no.

I'm waiting for the Palm Pre to come to Australia, which has received very good reviews from the US. It's OS is also more flexible than Mac.

Having said that, cannot go past the iPhone. You're much better getting the latest model (3GS). The processor speed makes a BIG BIG difference.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 06 July 09 9:19 pm

I have a 16GB iPhone on an Optus $19 a month plan which includes $50 of calls and 100 Mg download. I have yet to use my full quota yet but the phone is mainly used for in-coming calls.

I have the Groundspeak "Geocaching" application. I use a Triton for caching but sometimes out in the field, it is really useful to fire the iPhone up, check recent logs and see how its GPSr compares to the Triton.

The user interface is brilliant - the new phones have a bteer battery life which could be a consideration if you make and take lots of calls.

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 07 July 09 10:20 am

Hey Camstal,

I finally gave in to the shineiness and got an iPhone 8GB 3G. I now understand why the Mac fanboys always seem to get that glazed-over content look in their eyes. :D Apart from the camera, it is a great little unit.

IMHO Telstra are evil. :P From what I gather their iPhone plans aren't exactly value-laden either.

Optus currently has the 8GB 3G (note not the new one) on a $59/month iPhone plan (free upfront, over 24 months) which gives you $350 worth of calls and 500MB data per month. This is the one that I went with. 8GB appears, thus far to be sufficient space, but that being said, I keep my music on my iPod and just have apps and photos on the iPhone.

The main advantage of the 3GS (as far as caching goes) is the in-built compass. That being said, you'd have to be pretty retarded if you couldn't find GZ by using the 3G maps, without the compass. Processing speed, may be a consideration if you're tweaking while caching, or have ADHD and can't wait; but I personally have had no troubles with processing speed.

As someone already said, no Whereigo (I still have no idea what that is...)

The app store has the Groundspeak Geocaching app for $12.99. Well worth it IMHO. I have used it to find 3 caches using the app and the 3G's in-built GPS. You can also log your finds in the field (though there are a couple of steps to do so).

Bottom line, is that the iPhone is a nice, shiney piece of awesomeness, that is a useful tool for caching. Also great if your employer does not allow internet access and you want to check your e-mail and Facebook at work :D.

Oh, and you can also use it as a phone to make phone calls :P

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Camstal » 07 July 09 12:26 pm

Agent Basil wrote:I have a 16GB iPhone on an Optus $19 a month plan which includes $50 of calls and 100 Mg download.
How much did it cost upfront?...may invest further into this plan.

Thats a bit of a set back about Wherigo caches...I'll just have to keep using the emulator in the builder version.

I have heard of the Geocaching Application...mostly from Jeremy Irish's & Podcacher's Tweets on Twitter about it. I also found out about the Hidden Park application from Geotalk Ep48.

Thanks a lot for the help,
Camstal :)

vicksta
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by vicksta » 07 July 09 3:08 pm

There are forum threads on mactalk australia discussing which phone provider and tables breaking down the costs for them too if you are trying to decide.

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 07 July 09 10:11 pm

As a current "Telstra Dealer Employee" the iphone 3G is the only one available in australia. Telstra doesn't discrimiate between 3g and 2g usage but most ly (99%) you will run on the NextG network. If there is Telstra coverage where you;re going, it's a good bet it's 3G.

As an Iphone user, the Geocaching.com iphone app is sweet!! No worrying about loading GPX files. Jump in the car, finish work, or escape from a family function and bang, you're geocaching. . Initially it was rather rudamentry but lately it's been getting really useful. Relly worth the $12 to buy.

There are other geocaching tools but none really tickled my fancy.

Other features: Log on the run, record notes. take photo's, listen to podcacher and geotalk. Check your email for new cache notifications. It's all in there.

It's not a garmin GPSmap60CSX but you only lose a little accuracy in the GPS fix but good geosense makes up for a lot of accuracy.

My GPS was stolen about 6mths ago and hasn't been replaced. Now with turn by turn navigation coming out, it probably won't be.

Did you notice that I like my iPhone. (just a little)

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 07 July 09 10:18 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:Regarding WhereIGo the answer is no.

I'm waiting for the Palm Pre to come to Australia, which has received very good reviews from the US. It's OS is also more flexible than Mac.

Having said that, cannot go past the iPhone. You're much better getting the latest model (3GS). The processor speed makes a BIG BIG difference.
Palm Pre?? - I thought that was a CDMA only device?? Have you heard of a GSM version coming out? I'd be amazed, with Palms money worries, theat they could afford to develop two handsets like this at the same time.
Last edited by TeamBeanDare on 07 July 09 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 07 July 09 10:18 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:Regarding WhereIGo the answer is no.

Palm Pre?? - I thought that was a CDMA only device?? Have you heard of a GSM version coming out? I'd be amazed, with Palms money worries, theat they could afford to develope who handsets like this at the same time.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 07 July 09 10:37 pm

I already have a GPS enabled phone. I use it for casual geocaching but it's def GPS receiver does get you in trouble. A GPS enabled phone (iPhone or other) will not work well in area's where GPS signal could be weak, heavy cloud cover, tree canopy, suburban canopy. When you have a good GPS there the best thing since sliced bread but when it starts sending you in the wrong direction because of bad FPS reception you will be wanted to find the closes river to throw it in or try this out on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI :)