Garmin Oregon Geocache 'button' for multi's

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Elmer_Stratty
200 or more found
200 or more found

Garmin Oregon Geocache 'button' for multi's

Post by Elmer_Stratty » 27 April 09 4:56 pm

G'day all,

I'm new to this geocaching stuff after having purchased an Oregon 400t a week ago. :D

I've noticed when I download a multi-cache using the "send to GPS' from GC.com that the co-ordinates for the cache as well as other waypoints are downloaded. How do I access these waypoints whilst still in the geocache mode? I have been either manually entering them and then 'go-to' through the waypoint manager or guessing, sometimes incorrectly :oops: , which downloaded waypoint to use based on 'nearest to'

Anyone got and ideas or suggestions - and thanks in advance!

:idea:

E!

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 27 April 09 5:18 pm

I haven't used the function from GC.com but if it's like the way that GSAK handles things, they could be showing up as POI's :?:

Take a look under Where To and then Custom POI's and see if they show up in there :D

Elmer_Stratty
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Elmer_Stratty » 27 April 09 8:16 pm

Thanks for replying Sets,

I've checked 'Where to?' and there is only, 'find another', 'stop navigation' or 'recalculate on road'.

The points are listed as waypoints but have no real reference to the original geocache. There must be an easier way to use these waypoints without jumping out of a 'cache' and going through the waypoint manager.

:?
E!

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 28 April 09 3:02 pm

Ah nup, I don't think there is. I'll try remember to ask A tonight, as she does most of the navigating and has used MY Oregon more than what I have, but I'm pretty sure that you do have to jump out of it to get there

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 28 April 09 3:36 pm

Elmer_Stratty wrote:Thanks for replying Sets,

I've checked 'Where to?' and there is only, 'find another', 'stop navigation' or 'recalculate on road'.
<P>Your right, you have to find another, Waypoint and then the WP. They are not found through the Geocache menu. Painfull I know. The other option is to use the map screen and "click" on them.

Elmer_Stratty
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Elmer_Stratty » 30 April 09 8:04 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:Your right, you have to find another, Waypoint and then the WP. They are not found through the Geocache menu. Painfull I know. The other option is to use the map screen and "click" on them.
Thanks Matt,

BUGGER :evil: My problem was with a multi cache with multi waypoints I wasn't able to decipher which waypoint to go to next as the had names that meant nothing to me. I reckong you're right using the map screen - sounds the quickest, but I still have the same prob in not being sure which waypoint to go to next. Might have to wait until the next upgrade - Mr Garmin might read this! :D

Thanks again

E!

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 30 April 09 9:42 pm

HI

I've been playing with this a bit today, as GSAK has a new upgrade that has worked on child waypoints. I'm still learning (and full of drugs after oral surgery, so excuse my non clear ramblings) but by following the child waypoint help file, I've now got all my child way points with the initial caches id and then a sequential number for the multi waypoints using the smart name function.

Next I want the smart name to be the cache name rather than the GC id code, and I'm sure it can work like that but I'm fading fast. :shock:

Cheers Quilter

Elmer_Stratty
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Elmer_Stratty » 01 May 09 12:23 am

Thanks Quilter,

I'll install GSAK on the laptop tomorrow and give it a go.

E!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 May 09 10:25 pm

Woo Hoo, my Oregon 300 turned up today. Loaded the Oz TOPO maps and it's full 'o caches for the weekend!

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 08 May 09 10:01 am

Come on CraigRat, surely there is one local cache you can duckout and find with your new toy before the weekend :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 May 09 8:00 pm

Fairly Magic wrote:Come on CraigRat, surely there is one local cache you can duckout and find with your new toy before the weekend :D
Done! Love it!

Also, relating to the OP, GSAK loads the child waypoints as 'regular' waypoints that you can quickly call up the nearest waypoints by clicking the 'Where to?' icon.
(edited: got it all wrong before)

Works well.