Oregon 300 & 400: What the heck is different?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Oregon 300 & 400: What the heck is different?

Post by CraigRat » 19 April 09 6:11 pm

due to an upcoming birthday and a certain amount of financial stimulation thanks to Mr Rudd, I have been given the greenlight to get a GPS.
After playing around with one, I'm going with a Garmin Oregon, an object I fondled with way too much emotion last weekend.

Here's the one thing I can't figure out: What's the difference between the 300 and 400?????? The spec sheets on all the sites cite the same hardware & features... I'm confused (apart from the 400 being available with the Topo maps for the same as the cost of a 300 and buying the Topos separate)

Any help appreciated!
Last edited by CraigRat on 19 April 09 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mastamak
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by mastamak » 19 April 09 6:57 pm

The hardware has exactly the same specs. The only difference is the preloaded maps.

Internationallly there are a few different versions of the 400 depending on the maps preloaded. I think Australia only has the 400c which contains the bluechart (coastal charts) map data.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 19 April 09 7:10 pm

Johnny Appleseed is selling one (400t) with the Garmin Topo Australia loaded onto them. I wonder why they sell it as a different version than the 300 if it's the same??

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 19 April 09 8:14 pm

Craig,

They are different due to the various mapsets (eg Garmin Topo Australia for the 400t and Garmin Bluecharts for the 400c) are loaded internally into the GPSr's memory. You do not receive the Mapsource software and map images to load onto the computer with these models. However for $60 to upgrade to the 400c for the Bluecharts is good value, even if you can't use it on the PC.

If you don't want the Bluecharts (of all of australia) or the new Topo Australia software, then just purchase the 300....with no loss of functionality. :P

Physically, the only difference is the colour coded surround.

I believe that this concept ie 200, 300, 400c, 400t etc may allow for updated models down the track similiar to the Nuvi models. eg 310, 410c, 410t etc.

mm
Edit: some of this is similiar to mastamak's posting ;-)

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 19 April 09 8:26 pm

Hi CraigRat,

I just love my 300. On our recent post easter trip to Bicheno I was saying to Sirius the only thing it's missing is a camera...... then there was a link in the forums to a 500 coming with camera. I'm managing very well with Shonky, Track4 and OSM for maps.

As far as I know the 400 offers coastal maps that were not of interest to me.

Cheers Quilter

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 20 April 09 10:01 am

Depending upon if you want to wait (which I don't think you do! :lol: ), there's also a 500 coming out; internal camera. You probably don't want that but just thought I'd mention it to confuse you more.

I really like the TOPO Australia. I can show you at the event this weekend - if you can hold out that long.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 20 April 09 11:40 am

Our 400T with TopoAustralia should be arriving in the office sometime today :D

phillipsart

Post by phillipsart » 26 April 09 8:00 pm

Get the Oregon 300 and purchase the DVD version of Garmin Topo,

Few reasons for this:

The DVD version of Garmin Topo comes with Basecamp for your PC which allows you to install a copy of Garmin Topo onto your PC, Basecamp will show the map on your PC in 3D.

If you purchase the Oregon 400T with Garmin Topo you will not be able to load a copy of Garmin Topo onto your PC.

Another great advantage with the DVD version of Garmin Topo is, the ability to at any time to transfer the map onto any Micro SD card. If you purchase a Oregon with the SD card version of Garmin Topo, I believe so I been told you will not be able to create a backup of the SD card version. If anything ever happens to your Micro SD Card, you will need to purchase another.

These are just some reason's I can think off.
Go the DVD version, You will not be sorry.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 26 April 09 8:26 pm

phillipsart wrote:Get the Oregon 300 and purchase the DVD version of Garmin Topo,

Few reasons for this:

The DVD version of Garmin Topo comes with Basecamp for your PC which allows you to install a copy of Garmin Topo onto your PC, Basecamp will show the map on your PC in 3D.

If you purchase the Oregon 400T with Garmin Topo you will not be able to load a copy of Garmin Topo onto your PC.

Another great advantage with the DVD version of Garmin Topo is, the ability to at any time to transfer the map onto any Micro SD card. If you purchase a Oregon with the SD card version of Garmin Topo, I believe so I been told you will not be able to create a backup of the SD card version. If anything ever happens to your Micro SD Card, you will need to purchase another.

That's what I've gone and done!
Hopefully I'll have the new toy in my hands in the next few days.
So looking forward to it!

phillipsart

Post by phillipsart » 26 April 09 8:35 pm

CraigRat wrote:
phillipsart wrote:Get the Oregon 300 and purchase the DVD version of Garmin Topo,

Few reasons for this:

That's what I've gone and done!
Hopefully I'll have the new toy in my hands in the next few days.
So looking forward to it!
Best option in my opinion.

One more thing, Don't think Garmin Topo is going to completely replace OZtopo or even some of the free maps for Garmin. National park road coverage is very poor.

I was a bit disappointed with Garmin Topo. Track coverage very poor in some of the best known 4wd destinations in Australia. For example take a look at Fraser Island when you get your copy.

RedPaw64
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by RedPaw64 » 03 July 09 9:44 am

After having some small issues with my Garmin Etrex Vista CX, I decided that I would aim to purchase a new GPS. I recently saw someone with a Garmin Oregon and liked it. I have been looking at either the 300 or 400t but based on what I have read lately I will be going for the 300.
I'm not intersted in the bluewater maps and want to be able to have the maps on my pc as well...
I was also interested in the colorado, so I am somewhat confused as what to get. :?

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 03 July 09 10:25 am

RedPaw64 wrote:After having some small issues with my Garmin Etrex Vista CX, I decided that I would aim to purchase a new GPS. I recently saw someone with a Garmin Oregon and liked it. I have been looking at either the 300 or 400t but based on what I have read lately I will be going for the 300.
I'm not intersted in the bluewater maps and want to be able to have the maps on my pc as well...
I was also interested in the colorado, so I am somewhat confused as what to get. :?
Like others we went for the 300 because you can change the map sets later - 400 is preloaded only. The 500 series will have an inbuilt camera I understand. There was not a lot of difference in cost between the 300 and 400 once you added the cost od the TOPOs (which are ok - does anyone know when there will be an update for these?)

smerrall

Post by smerrall » 03 July 09 11:01 am

I went the 400 route as mine has the nautical charts loaded - cheaper than buying separately. You can also load new maps normally, but I don't think you can delete the pre-loaded ones, although I'm not game to try.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 03 July 09 12:19 pm

smerrall wrote:but I don't think you can delete the pre-loaded ones, although I'm not game to try.
Yes you can delete them as they are stored in [drive]:Garmin .The 400C file should be called gmapprom.img and probably should be backed up somewhere else just in case. :wink:

mm

pirate 63

Re: Oregon 300 & 400: What the heck is different?

Post by pirate 63 » 16 July 09 9:13 pm

what does the oregon feel like in your hand,i have the 60 csx and it sticks in my clammy handswhen tramping around the bush ,does'nt look like the oregon would do the same?