Garmin BaseCamp

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Garmin BaseCamp

Post by Snuva » 09 April 09 1:56 pm

Has anyone used the new Garmin BasCamp software? It's the software coming with some of the new map sets that are more bushwalking than city navigating oriented (rather than MapSource). I can't find much info, but some of the features looked interesting. I've seen mixed reviews.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 09 April 09 7:32 pm

I've downloaded Basecamp from Garmin and loaded it on the PC. Looks good but I can't do anything with it as don't have any maps for it.

Snuva
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 09 April 09 7:43 pm

Well I decided to stop thinking about it and just order Australia TOPO on DVD, so I'll have a play when it arrives and report back! :D

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 07 May 09 7:07 pm

I installed basecamp and it puts my CPU into a spin using 50% , and the application is very unresponsive.
So I assume you can't use existing free topo maps etc..

BTW is there any way to show transparent layers on Mapsource as well as street layers.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 07 May 09 7:16 pm

mtrax wrote:I installed basecamp and it puts my CPU into a spin using 50% , and the application is very unresponsive.

BTW is there any way to show transparent layers on Mapsource as well as street layers.
What are the specs of your pc :?:

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 07 May 09 7:28 pm

XP dual core 2Ghz E8200 ..2G ram

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 07 May 09 11:51 pm

Were running Bascamp with Garmin Topo V2. Works fine but slows down if you try 3D view. Garmin Topo V2 is great, topo as well as streets. It seems to do every thing we need in one package.

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 08 May 09 1:51 am

I'm a bit disappointed with Garmin Basecamp. With Topo Aus it is a 2 gig install that has to run off the C drive and having seen it run on more than one computer it seems to slow the system markedly.

While you can select what maps to transfer across to the Oregon you can't section what maps you want to install on the computer.

Manual is non existent and the help files.........hmmmm.

I think I shall stick with Ozi for on the go eeepc mapping.

However, on the Oregon, I love the maps. And I love the navigating functions and how that all works.

Hopefully Basecamp will improve and become more user friendly when other cleverer users get the hang of it and put out the info for us simpler folk.

Cheers Quilter

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 08 May 09 8:32 am

You will find when Basecamp installed it also installed a program called MapInstall in your Garmin programs file. This is the interface you use to install all your maps to your GPS. It works just like Mapsource but you can select your topo maps that only show in Basecamp as well as your other maps from Mapsource. Be aware if you have any doggy maps sets they can stop baseCamp from working.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 May 09 9:15 am

Fairly Magic wrote:I'm a bit disappointed with Garmin Basecamp. With Topo Aus it is a 2 gig install that has to run off the C drive and having seen it run on more than one computer it seems to slow the system markedly.
With 1TB drive cheap now days a 2gig install is nothing. All my maps for Ozi take like 10x more room on my HD then Topo Aus does. Topo Aus can be installed on another drive instead of C drive. You got open up the CD and find a file called TOPOAUS2.msi I think. Run that file and it will let you install to any drive. You could also edit the registry if you want.
Fairly Magic wrote:While you can select what maps to transfer across to the Oregon you can't section what maps you want to install on the computer.
All of Garmin products install all the maps to the HD. Now if you could select the maps you want on the computer that 10min install would take an hour to install. Maps would have to be remade and recompiled.

Beagle Team
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over
Twitter: ntrod

Post by Beagle Team » 08 May 09 9:27 am

mtrax wrote:I installed basecamp and it puts my CPU into a spin using 50% , and the application is very unresponsive.

I found Basecamp was hopeless on the PC but ran exceptionally well on the MAC

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 08 May 09 9:37 am

Dooghan wrote:With 1TB drive cheap now days a 2gig install is nothing.
Hmm yes I do have a 1TB drive......... a number of them actually. All external and flagged as Geocaching, Music, Data etc.

However Garmin does not let you install on these drives. And I am not sufficiently experienced to delve into the black art of editing a Windows Registry.

Why not give the user the option to install on the drive they see fit?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 May 09 8:09 pm

I must admit, basecamp is pretty useless. In the day and age of google earth it is probably unnecessary too.

I have been looking at the OZ Topo maps a bit in mapsource though, and that is nice and snappy.

mtrax

Re: Garmin BaseCamp

Post by mtrax » 09 September 09 2:53 pm

I eventually got this working even though its still a bit sluggish.. the issue was opengl.
I had to setup a custom setting in the Nvidia control panel which enabled mixed GPU acceleration or perhaps set the defaults so it ran better.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: Garmin BaseCamp

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 21 April 10 12:39 pm

Has anyone given this a go on the EEE? We use our EEE as our caching computer and I don't want to install it if it is going to come to a screaming halt.