cache contents ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

cache contents ?

Post by Agent Basil » 08 February 09 6:56 pm

I do enjoy my caching but it is not about the swaps - maybe that is why most of my hides are micros.

However, I know when on the hunt, a regular sized cache is appropriate - I have been beaten up for doing a micro hide in a nearby National park.

So help me, when I find a cache, I haven't been overly observant in relation to what is actually in the cache, aside from the log and any travel bugs.

Give me some suggestions for cache contents so as my future hides are more enjoyable for those into that side of things.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 February 09 7:15 pm

Micros in the bush lead to lots of environmental damage as people seek the cache under every twig, branch, leaf, pine needles, etc. Bad idea.

Place a cache that has the largest container you can possibly place there and your caching life will be full of logs of praise.

It's not about the swaps, it's about the suitability of container for the area.

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 08 February 09 7:30 pm

Put things in that are useful or that kids might actually like to play with. New toys are good, McDonalds figurines are not. Blockbuster DVDs are good, movies from the 50s are not (as a rule). A set of drink coasters is good, one drink coaster is not (it won't match the others in the set.)<br>
<br>
Also, nothing dangerous, nothing illegal, nothing that could be used as a weapon, nothing edible (or drinkable), and nothing that will spoil the other contents.<br>
<br>
Just ask yourself, would someone realistically want/use this item?<br>
<br>

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 08 February 09 7:37 pm

In thinking about WHAT swaps to put in, think about the likely finders. Some will be kids as members of families, some will be adults, some will be people who don't bother swapping. I don't tend to swap much myself these days, but I enjoy seeing a well-stocked cache, and try to think carefully about what to put into caches I place. I generally look for a range of reasonable quality $2 shop type swaps (yes, you can get reasonable quality), in a range of sizes and values (so that there's a range to choose from when finders are trying to swap fairly). Some of the things I have included are toy cars, padlocks, magnetic key holders, carabiners, stickers, trinkets, plastic animals, glow in the dark things, etc, etc. Avoid food (this attracts animals), liquid type things (I have included bubble blowing mix once or twice, but have also heard stories of bad consequences if it leaks), dangerous objects, and things that aren't G-rated. Also be wary of things that have a short shelf life (e.g., I think glow-sticks -- which I think are kind of fun to find -- may have expiry dates). Put things that aren't particularly waterproof inside a ziplock bag, just in case the cache leaks. Hope this helps.

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 08 February 09 7:44 pm

I don't swap myself but I love finding caches with swaps in them.

To me, it fulfils the "treasure" aspect.

I personally am not worried whether the items are useful or not - some like them useful - me I like them to be new, colourful, interesting, something to look at, perhaps themed, or just an unusual collection of whatever.

If a cache is deliberately aimed at families, then probably more appropriate swaps are important, but I just go down to the local $2 shop and have a look

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 08 February 09 8:59 pm

I've had a fair few nice comments on the contents of our caches, and the philosophy I use is to pick items that interest me and toys for the kids.

I make it a point of personal pride to have some items in there that tempt the cachers who don't usually make swaps into taking one!

$2 shops and the like are the source of the bulk of the items, but also cast your net wider and look at places like dealextreme.com and eBay and such for bulk items. As an example, our little LED torches are useful and popular and actually cost less than many McToys!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 08 February 09 9:46 pm

Now I am not caching with kids I rarely bother with swaps. Doesn't mean I won't occasionally restock a good cache that over time has become a bit light on.

I do wonder about new caches in a fair size lunchbox (FTF ones) where you have a 1-2 litre lunchbox with nothing but a logbook. You might as well have placed a micro.

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 08 February 09 10:44 pm

this might sound crazy but what appeals to kids might not be what you expect.

the usual things our kids swap out of caches include, Mctoys (new), plastic dinosaurs and marbles. They love them and specifically look for these things when going through a cache.

dadegroot
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dadegroot » 08 February 09 11:06 pm

I agree, oddly it's the McToys that are most often picked up by my kidlets, but toy animals, cars and marbles have also featured.

Personally, I rarely swap, as the finding is the interest for me, but like many others I like to have a peek at what's in the cache.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 09 February 09 6:11 am

Why not just place an easy micro :shock: :!: How often has it happen :?: :?: you place a cache chock full of goodies (radios , torches you get the picture) and you come back in a couple of months to read logs and cache check.
And low and be hold cache near empty except feathers, marbles and best of all, hand towels :!: :shock:
Nothing feels warmer than to read a log saying left marble, took scanning radio :twisted:
We dont swap out, but those who do dont usually log what they have taken, only a small portion do :cry: :oops:
If you find something you want, swap fair or dont swap at all :idea: :wink:

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 09 February 09 12:03 pm

Udderchaos wrote:this might sound crazy but what appeals to kids might not be what you expect.

the usual things our kids swap out of caches include, Mctoys (new), plastic dinosaurs and marbles. They love them and specifically look for these things when going through a cache.
Ditto that. I'm surprised at some of the things that the kids will take. Bek has grabbed a small kangroo with a broken head, a polystrene Christmas tree decoration in the middle of the year, and used golf balls.

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 09 February 09 12:21 pm

Mr Router wrote:you place a cache chock full of goodies (radios , torches you get the picture) and you come back in a couple of months to read logs and cache check.
And low and be hold cache near empty except feathers, marbles and best of all, hand towels :!: :shock:
Nothing feels warmer than to read a log saying left marble, took scanning radio :twisted:

Couldnt agree more!

Knot_gillty

Post by Knot_gillty » 09 February 09 1:44 pm

Wingaap wrote:
Mr Router wrote:you place a cache chock full of goodies (radios , torches you get the picture) and you come back in a couple of months to read logs and cache check.

Couldnt agree more!
I also agree.

I've got a themed cache where it's only a stubbie holder one. Fair enough, it's not for the kids but i'm sure there are kids out there who DO use stubbie holders even if it is for their juice!!

In my other caches i try to place half kids things and half things that mum or dad might like. Kmart has cheap tape measures, screw driver sets etc etc.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 09 February 09 1:59 pm

One of the many things that came out of the first meeting with NSW National Parks, was the fact they hated the idea of swaps/trinkets inside caches. So, if and when we are allowed to cache back in NP's sometime in the future, it's doubtful they will allow anything but a logbook/stashnote type setup.

Looking back at our very first cache, we had alcohol inside it LOL.

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 09 February 09 5:26 pm

Agent Basil - I'd like to publicly thank you for seeking info for caches out in the bush.<p>

Yes, micros out in the bush can be frustrating, taking away the pleasure of a lovely walk or fantastic views. ALSO, environmental damage can be severe (a few Bathurst micros out in the bush come to mind, sorry Routers and/or AAAA, but I have copped some flak from **** about potential environmental damage). <br>
So, publically - Thanks for asking fellow cachers. <p>

I'm a bit like the Squirrel, don't swap much, try to place caches with things within, and I do enjoy browsing through cache contents out in the bush, I get to see some weird, odd & funny items. <p>

Basil - micros are good in the suburbs (eg, the many wonderful nanos/micros in Bathurst! :D )