WCMO - Copy and paste logs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 January 09 9:51 pm

penguin wrote:Crappy cache description?

Not to be mean or anything, but check out this newly published literary epic: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 08b3b9e0da (Apologies for the lengthy URL).

I love the Flinders area, and would be keen to go out there, but honestly if as much effort has gone into the cache as has gone into the description, I would be expecting a steaminig pile of disappointment...
I think the published note says it all.

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 16 January 09 9:51 pm

setsujoku wrote: Lol I've seen some ordinary ones, but that takes the cake. :? :? :?
Why would I want to drive there just on the off chance that there might even be something interesting there, let alone a half decent cache :shock:
On the basis of that cache descrition... absolutely nothing.

However, there are three great caches accessible from the car park that you would access the aforementioned cache.

The good ones are "Matt's High Point", "Charlie D's" Fun something or other, and "Killer Sudoku Flinders". All of these have decent descriptions and are well worth the effort if you are in the area. "Matt's High Point" is actually my favourite cache. I've also got one hidden on a nearby mountain top which IMHO is also worth the walk.

But let's get back on topic...

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 16 January 09 10:13 pm

Geocache Information for User: dasharrbaloo

Found = 0
Hide = 1

A new user that hasn't figured it out?

CaleD
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CaleD » 16 January 09 11:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:

Not to be mean or anything, but check out this newly published literary epic: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 08b3b9e0da (Apologies for the lengthy URL).

I love the Flinders area, and would be keen to go out there, but honestly if as much effort has gone into the cache as has gone into the description, I would be expecting a steaminig pile of disappointment...
I think the published note says it all.
I think that whoever gets the FTF on that one need merely say:

"thx"

:wink:

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 16 January 09 11:08 pm

CaleD wrote: I think that whoever gets the FTF on that one need merely say:

"thx"

:wink:
That sounds like a challenge! :D And if I didn't have to be at work in 8hrs, I would so do it...

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 17 January 09 9:20 am

I wish I'd seen this earlier, crap logs are a pet peeve of mine. The only thing I wanted to add is that I'd rather a unique 40 word log over a 70 word log that had two sentences of generic filler. It's just unnecessary padding!<br>
<br>

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 17 January 09 10:34 am

Team Rubik wrote:I wish I'd seen this earlier, crap logs are a pet peeve of mine. The only thing I wanted to add is that I'd rather a unique 40 word log over a 70 word log that had two sentences of generic filler. It's just unnecessary padding!
Is there a GSAK Macro that puts in all that generic stuff for them?

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 17 January 09 12:13 pm

The only thing more frustrating in a two line log or less is when it reads ......" Found whilst i was cleaning up the region ,thanks.". Makes the cache owner feel on top of the world when they are told that their cache was one of of a few the finder found on a day to clean-up the region.Even if it was to clean -up a few in an area that a finder has been dying to find,you cant insult the cache owner by writing it.If a cache owner has been good enough to put it there ,the finder should always respect the hider .

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 17 January 09 8:29 pm

the farmers 5 wrote:The only thing more frustrating in a two line log or less is when it reads ......" Found whilst i was cleaning up the region ,thanks.".
<br>
<br>
Agreed, 'clean up' is an awful term, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is offended by such phrases.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 17 January 09 9:28 pm

The Reviewers do a great job but I'd have thought that a bit of quality control was in order there?

I totally agree with the topic here. A log with a modecum of thought in it is a much better log all round. Logging IS part of the game and needs to be allowed for. On long trips I deliberately leave enough time to record the logs every night.

The last time I got a TNLN TFTC I sent the person involved an email asking if they hadn't liked the cache. After a couple of very polite exchanges, I got back an apology and a nicely expanded log. A little bit of education goes a long way....

I always try to include SOMETHING about my experience with the cache, and a thank you to the owner. Logging has become a lot easier since I got a laptop and put GSAK on it though - my verbosity has gone up about 20% to around 50 wpl now.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 January 09 9:30 am

rhinogeo wrote:
Team Rubik wrote:I wish I'd seen this earlier, crap logs are a pet peeve of mine. The only thing I wanted to add is that I'd rather a unique 40 word log over a 70 word log that had two sentences of generic filler. It's just unnecessary padding!
<P>Not too sure about GSAK but there are plenty of Greasmonkey Scripts for FireFox out there!

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 18 January 09 10:06 am

rhinogeo wrote:
There is a GSAK macro for preparing log notes in the field.

It is called LogTemplate.

It provides some generic stats as to total finds, finds for the day, generic took/left, etc. with plenty of space to write some log notes. Its a lot easier to do the log "on the spot" than at the end of a days caching and you can't remember exactly what it was about the cache.

It sort of gives the best of both - some generic stuff but plenty of opportunity to make comprehensive logs (upto 5,000 characters I think!)

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 18 January 09 10:16 pm

I couldn't help myself - went out and scored a FTF on it. 8)

In all fariness, it actually wasn't a bad cache. Missing a stash note and out in the open, but both are easily fixed. Quality container though, and the cache description has been fixed. Will PM owner.

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 19 January 09 10:16 am

penguin wrote:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 08b3b9e0da (Apologies for the lengthy URL).
Just by-the-by, this URL is shorter and points to the same thing: http://coord.info/GC1KM5A
Much easier to type if you know the GCxxxx code!
alansee wrote:The Reviewers do a great job but I'd have thought that a bit of quality control was in order there?
There were a few typical 1st hider issues with this one and riblit did make mention of the desirability of a better description in a friendly note. There's nothing in the guidelines that requires a cache to be well written, though.
The concept of "quality control" is a slippery one... much as I have to hold my nose to publish some of the "no real reason to put a cache here, but it's another one for your tally" drive-bys, it's not really appropriate for my preferences to be the deciding factor in which caches get the nod.
Otherwise, there'd be fewer urban micros and suburban drive-bys published and every cache would need at least one magnet and a custom background image! :)

Team Jeckyl
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Team Jeckyl » 19 January 09 11:43 am

I use a spreadsheet to record cache name & GC code, date found, and type in what I want to put in the log. I can happily use the laptop whilst Mr J is driving (even better now with the eeePC!) Then when I get to log the caches, I just have to copy and paste, making the time on the net a little bit quicker. Using a data pack as a modem on the NextG phone is OK for logging a few caches (especially ones where I've taken TBs) and emails, but the data allowance isn't that great so I'll wait until I can get better internet access before doing the bulk of the logs. I've found this very handy whilst on the road. At least all the logs are individual, though my word count isn't that great at 40 average.

Funnily enough the shortest log was on a good cache, I didn't want to give anything away so I just logged "Neat one, B*DS. Thanks!" Maybe I'll have to try to be a bit more inventive.

Mrs Jeckyl