WCMO - Copy and paste logs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

WCMO - Copy and paste logs

Post by Webguy » 15 January 09 3:10 pm

I really have mellowed over the last year or so, but, one thing that really cheeses me off still, is copy and paste logs.

Surely, you found something at the cache site worth of an individual log and not need to do a copy and paste with the exact same thing for every log??

Cache owners go to the trouble and expense of placing a cache for all to enjoy, and for the most part, get their enjoyment from reading the logs that are posted and seeing images that may get uploaded as well. I can't help feel sorry for cache owners who get the same log over multiple logs on their caches...

recent examples...

"found this one with tofska,Moneydork and ADV"

17 logs the exact same so far and still growing. But they must have read my mind, cause their last 3 logs have been new copy and paste logs...

"found this one with Moneydork"

Man O man, the cache owner must be so happy you found that cache with someone called moneydork!

Another recent example...

nice easy find
tnlnsl
tftc

On 5 logs that I have a watch on.

and another...

Great Ocean Road Family Road Trip
Cache No. 26
TNLN
TFTC

Now, I have done long trips and done over 100 caches in a trip, usually logging the lot in batches when I get home, but I still try and write something individual about each and every cache. Sure there are times when I am just totally blank when trying to remember a certain cache from a trip, but a quick discussion with the rest of the family usually jogs my memory.

I just find that practice so very disappointing for the cache owners out there is all....

Usat31
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Usat31 » 15 January 09 3:28 pm

I couldn't agree more Webguy. Nothing is more disappointing when you see a log come in, and find some generic note that has been copy-pasted by the cacher.

It doesn't take much to be a little more inventive that some of the examples that you have given. Other examples that I have seen are things like:
"Good One" and "Found it" (oh, der!!!!)

When they come into caches that we have placed, the temptation to delete the log is really strong, even though I am yet to go to that level.

Cheers.

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 15 January 09 4:42 pm

Couldn't agree more.
I usually try to find something nice to write about the location or memories of the spot. My verbosity stat has now hit the 100 average. :oops:
As an owner its really nice when longer logs come in, but the general case is usually short ones, but that's life. What I do find disappointing is doing a cache that is brilliant, with a great location etc. etc., writing a nice log to say how worthwhile it was, and then see other logs simply say "TNLNSL TFTC".
Cheers 8)

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 15 January 09 4:53 pm

I do also admit that it is nice to see long logs coming in, but do have to admit to writing some short ones myself, although usually only to caches that I find that are not of any real interset other than the addition to that grand total :twisted: . I do how ever try to average 20 to 30 words, even if it is to say that I did not really enjoy it. :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 January 09 6:00 pm

He's a kiwi who was over here during December and (maybe) January so maybe he's forgot what each cache was about.
OR
He's logging generically now so he can update them when he gets more time.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 15 January 09 6:48 pm

I will admit, I have used the cut and paste log method before, but usually only the generic details, and add cache specific details as well. It can be a pain if you have 50-100 or more logs to write, and only limited time to do them.

Cheers
Bundy

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 15 January 09 6:48 pm

calumphing_four wrote:Couldn't agree more.
I usually try to find something nice to write about the location or memories of the spot. My verbosity stat has now hit the 100 average. :oops:
Ouch, and I was happy with mine sitting at the 57 mark. Wonder who is the most/least verbose

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 January 09 7:25 pm

setsujoku wrote:
calumphing_four wrote:Couldn't agree more.
Ouch, and I was happy with mine sitting at the 57 mark. Wonder who is the most/least verbose
Average of 115 words per log. Wow I must crap on :-)

Nilbog_Aus
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Nilbog_Aus » 15 January 09 7:45 pm

Cut and paste logs are a pet hate of ours too. :x

Most of us forget the odd cache after a big holiday (or lose the notes) but as cache owners we would still prefer a personalized log maybe just a comment about the general area.

Cut and paste then more details are fine but it is the little stories and extra details in peoples logs that (for us anyway) make hiding fun.

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 15 January 09 7:55 pm

I've found that since buying the Oregon that it's easier to remember things about each cache, by using the Field Notes option. It's reduced the number of times that I've got home, and cant remember which cache this was that I'm trying to log

Just a couple of simple words relating to the cache/area as we leave the cache heading back to the car, and I can then come home and upload the field notes, and make a better log

geoskid
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by geoskid » 15 January 09 8:34 pm

C'mon people, hide'em hard and find'em hard, otherwise put up with find'em easy hide'em easy logs - thats the way it is! -simple, get on with it!

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 15 January 09 9:09 pm

caughtatwork wrote: maybe he's forgot what each cache was about.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Wouldn't you be more inclined to remember what a wonderful time you had on a holiday.
:?: I know I do.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 15 January 09 9:30 pm

Webby,<P>I'm so glad you posted this I have been seething over this topic for quite a while and the recent NZ caching run was about to tip me over the edge. Even on the weekend while caching with an out of town cacher we discussed this and both were of the opinion that it was poor form.<P>
caughtatwork wrote:He's a kiwi who was over here during December and (maybe) January so maybe he's forgot what each cache was about.
OR
He's logging generically now so he can update them when he gets more time.
<P>I'm sorry CAW but I don't see this as a valid reason. We found over 280 last October, nearly 100 of them were in a single day. Even if they found twice this number there was 4 of them how hard is it to write <B>THANK YOU?</B> It took some time after our trip but I managed to write that I was on caching run a little bit about the area. I personally thanks each owner by name and I tracked if I took anything from the cache. To me not a big task when a cache owner (like me) has been good enough to take the time to take me to a spot and have a cache hidden there. Even if I couldn't see / understand the reason for the cache I still thanked the owner for placing it.<P>Perhaps I had a different introduction to caching. I still remember The Mountain Goat showing me Geocacher University. At the bottom of the first page is a topic headed Writing great Online Logs. This had a profound effect on me and since that day I have always tried to understand the reason for a cache (at times not successfully) but I have at least always thanked the cache owner.<P>I thought I was being fussy but we have a cache series that was set up to try and share with people about a number of Australian Heros that were awarded the Victoria Cross.It took a deal of time to gather the required information, find a suitable location that could hold a container that would hold swaps (not just another micro), and finally create the page. Granted that each is a relatively easy find but when you get logs like, <p>"found with XYZ" or<BR>"Easy Find" or<br>"TFTC, TNLN" (my personal least favorite)<P>, it makes you wonder why you bother.<P>Most people write a log that is worth reading and reminds us why we place a cache but there are times when I would love to just fire off a "is it so hard to write...." type of email but then I calm down and remember not all have caches so they don't know the rewarding experience of a nice log.<P>
calumphing_four wrote:My verbosity stat has now hit the 100 average. :oops:
<P>Our verbosity is somewhat lower but I think at nearly 2000 finds to have an average of 50 odd words isn't too bad. I'm sure those that have received logs of 500 + from us appreciated the log.<P>Thanks again Webby for raising this topic.

agap2
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by agap2 » 15 January 09 9:32 pm

In general I agree here, but I think it is a real skill to write a clever and concise log, some people just havnt developed that skill yet! Also what about those extra long logs that are just waffle???

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 January 09 10:08 pm

Not offering an excuse, just maybe that people don't always have the time to write them up immediately or the memory to write them up later or the skills / desire to write anything long. It's not just about the numbers either. Some of the most prolific finders always write nice logs.

I always try to write my logs on the same day so my memory is fresh. Writing a decent log also helps me to recall which cache is which when someone uses the PAF option :-)

I've done 1,600 logs with an verbosity average of 115, so obviously I don't subscribe to the TNLN TFTC (although on a few caches I have been very let down and my log length reflects that).
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... rk/general

I like logs that give me a little bit of the adventure of the finder, but I also understand that the game is about finding the cache, or the journey, or the swaps or whatever and not always about the logs, so I am at peace with those who don't write novels each time.