Free Sat Nav for your phone

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc

Free Sat Nav for your phone

Post by Guest » 08 December 08 2:29 pm

GPS related sat nav that I was surprised that even works in Australia, quite well, my only minor annoyance is that the only english accent is of course American, not as annoying as the asterisk sounds though and can probably be easily replaced with other sound files I'm hoping.

http://www.amazegps.com

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 December 08 8:18 pm

Moved to the appropriate forum.

Post by Guest » 08 December 08 8:38 pm

I didn't think it was geocaching related, I need to play with it some more but it does have some non-driving features, but I haven't tried them yet.

In any case it works 1000x better than BB maps in Australia, but no sat images, but it isn't restricted to just the blackberry, it seems to be j2me so should work on any java capable phone with either BT GPS or built in.

totalube
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 08 December 08 10:28 pm

It's free to download and use*.

*However you need to pay data charges for downloaded maps and once you are are out of reception area, it is no good.

My 6110, has all this built in and it doesn't cost a thing to use, if I wanted to I could even remove the sim card and still have turn by turn directions.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 08 December 08 10:47 pm

totalube wrote:6110, has all this built in and it doesn't cost a thing to use, if I wanted to I could even remove the sim card and still have turn by turn directions.
<p>
Not sure about that - if I fire up the Navigator on the 6110 it initiate a 3G connection back to the network. Haven't tried it sans SIM card to see if it works.
<p>
Have to try it when I am seriously bush in a couple of days and will be outside Optus coverage range and see if it works.

Post by Guest » 08 December 08 11:13 pm

They explain on the site how to minimise data charges, but data is finally becoming reasonable, 10-15$/gig

Also they're planning to integrate with FoxyTag to alert you of fixed/mobile speed camera locations and allow you to help the community out by adding your own speed camera locations and removing mobile locations that aren't there any more.

I'll pay the $10/mo extra for that alone :D

totalube

Post by totalube » 08 December 08 11:38 pm

richary wrote:
totalube wrote:6110, has all this built in and it doesn't cost a thing to use, if I wanted to I could even remove the sim card and still have turn by turn directions.
<p>
Not sure about that - if I fire up the Navigator on the 6110 it initiate a 3G connection back to the network. Haven't tried it sans SIM card to see if it works.
<p>
Have to try it when I am seriously bush in a couple of days and will be outside Optus coverage range and see if it works.
I have placed my phone into offline mode and it is finding satellites as we speak, I have however disabled A-GPS which does use some data to fix it's location

Post by Guest » 09 December 08 12:44 am

totalube wrote:I have placed my phone into offline mode and it is finding satellites as we speak, I have however disabled A-GPS which does use some data to fix it's location
I think the question was more about the turn by turn nav, than simple GPS locations.

Post by Guest » 09 December 08 5:54 am

Just a followup on the FoxyRat service, I finally have a really decent use for google street images beyond just looking for caches ;)

The following locations are all speed camera sites (that FoxyRat doesn't have) but I managed to pull out of memory + thanks to those nice big speed signs the NSW police force put up before and after and of course the big speed signs painted on the road ! :) (well except for the variable zone near mt white north of Sydney.)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... 99129&z=21

Post by Guest » 09 December 08 6:53 am

Oh and damned if I can find the camera at Burpengary Weighbridge, anyone able to pick it out on google maps at all?

I've only been past it twice since they installed it, would know the place by sight, but not on a sat image.

totalube

Post by totalube » 09 December 08 1:48 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
totalube wrote:I have placed my phone into offline mode and it is finding satellites as we speak, I have however disabled A-GPS which does use some data to fix it's location
I think the question was more about the turn by turn nav, than simple GPS locations.
That's right! With my Nokia 6110, you can get turn by turn navigation without the need for an active network connection. It is all self contained in the phone. This is different from the replacement model 6120, the N95, and theN96, where you need to pay a subscription to use turn by turn navigation

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 02 January 09 1:55 am

It works! Didn't have the new Tugan Bypass, and flattened my phone in 20 minutes, but it's nice to have on there. ;)

Richary

Post by Richary » 02 January 09 8:30 pm

totalube wrote:That's right! With my Nokia 6110, you can get turn by turn navigation without the need for an active network connection. It is all self contained in the phone.
<p>
You are right - the phone still happily brought up the map when I was seriously bush a while ago and well out of range. Didn't try using it to navigate though. Wonder why it grabs a 3G connection when I fire up Nokia Navigator though (on the 6110).

totalube

Post by totalube » 03 January 09 3:02 pm

richary wrote: You are right - the phone still happily brought up the map when I was seriously bush a while ago and well out of range. Didn't try using it to navigate though. Wonder why it grabs a 3G connection when I fire up Nokia Navigator though (on the 6110).
If you have A-GPS on it will use the data connection. I have turned it off on my phone, and it still connects fine and is accurate enough for road navigation.

Post by Guest » 03 January 09 7:11 pm

totalube wrote:If you have A-GPS on it will use the data connection. I have turned it off on my phone, and it still connects fine and is accurate enough for road navigation.
Do you know which carriers in Australia and under what circumstances actually charge for A-GPS data?