The steady decline of the quality of geocaching....

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Do you think the quality of geocaches is going down with the quantity of caches going up?

Yes!
58%
No!
29%
Don't care!
13%

Total votes: 162

team waldron
2500 or more caches found

Post by team waldron » 24 September 08 2:57 pm

team unicycle wrote:
team waldron wrote: Most were in parks or semi bush but because of the hides I didn't feel exposed like I usually do wandering aimlessly around parks.
...or tennis courts, as the case may be :P
Dont put your racquet away just yet!

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 24 September 08 3:11 pm

Hi All,

I am from the CH region in QLD and the first cache i ever found was really neatly hidden and i have one right near my first cache find ever after it was archived and i have been emailed saying that it was the same BUT i've tried most of the CH caches and i'm a bit dissapointed in some of them but Emerald History is an awesoem one!! :P

Thanks,
Camstal :lol:

Duck!

Post by Duck! » 03 October 08 3:46 pm

I have only been geocaching for a little while compare to some with only 141 finds so far. Currently I am having fun puting out caches in my local area where there was a distinct lack of them previously ... but this has now changed :P

I have placed many micros and several small & regular caches with a few more to come. I'm not rich so I can't purchase too many containers or lots of high quality swaps so sometimes micros are my cheapest option but then I like to try different things like PEZ containers or contact lens containers just to change it up from the usual eclipse tin. I also put a little more effort in creating the appropriate sized logbooks etc.

Some caches I put more time & energy into than others but I find that I tend to put out what I/we like to find. I & my geomunchkins like easy driveby traditionals so I have put out many of them. I personally like the odd tricky / different type of hide so I have put out a few of those. I liked a local multi / puzzle series so I did one of my own appropriately themed. It's hard to come up with 'never-seen-before' caches but I'm trying my best. I also take pride in maintaining them quickly as required.

From the hits / response I have received for my caches I tend to think others are enjoying them. With the volume of caches now within my area I have found it certainly encourages people to visit an area they would have never bothered with previously which I think is a good thing. I have done the same in regard to some of my finds.

If geopeople didn't like my caches or felt that I have too many of a particular type in an area I would hope they would log their opinions or email me via the site. I encourage feedback of any persuasion. Until I hear otherwise I will continue to do what I'm doing because I'm having fun doing it.

Hope to see you out there.

Quack!

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Quackers!!

Post by If » 03 October 08 9:05 pm

Keep up the good work DUCK 8)

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 04 October 08 10:23 am

Duck! wrote:From the hits / response I have received for my caches I tend to think others are enjoying them.
Quack!

With some 8000 finds on my caches I had thought the same thing.

team waldron

Post by team waldron » 27 October 08 2:21 pm

Lava12 has excelled with the last batch of caches.

Excellent cammo and hiding spots.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 27 October 08 9:31 pm

team waldron wrote:Lava12 has excelled with the last batch of caches.

Excellent cammo and hiding spots.
I agree. Lovely work. Quality geocaching (accuracy, container, camo, placement....). And the swaps were pretty good too.....

clear skies, TeamAstro.

scotty&lochie
200 or more found
200 or more found

Resonably New At This

Post by scotty&lochie » 14 November 08 2:17 pm

I have 15 hides and 103 finds. I see others with 400 finds and one hide. I just feel if someone is giving me some fun I should out of respect try and return the favour. I mean, if we all just found and no one hid, well, it would not take long to run out. Now I don't claim that all 15 off my hides are top class but neither have all the 103 I have found been either, but, I enjoyed everyone in it's own way.
Last edited by scotty&lochie on 15 November 08 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 14 November 08 4:19 pm

After the last couple of weekends caching I can say that caching is alive a well :wink: we have seen sides of the Sydney greater area that we never knew existed :shock: :? It did not matter if it was a micro or full size, we still seen the places :!: :D you still get some lesser hides but thats all in the game :!: Caching is something different to everyone :wink: please lets keep it that way :wink: :wink:

stevenwill

Post by stevenwill » 14 November 08 4:36 pm

Hey Duck good on you, you do what you enjoy about caching! If you are enjoying it you must be doing something right! :lol:

Scotty & Lochie dont take the comments so personally :P
I am one of those people with over 400 finds and only one hide. :oops:

Hey I play the game the way I enjoy it and so should you, people that don't like your hides can also go jump as they dont have to do them if they don't like them. Leave the comments so other people can see and the like minded ones do not have to do it.

We must also remember that people also have a life with job / study responsibilities all things that can get in the way of caching. I personally have two geocoins that I have had for two weeks because of other work things that came up, but will definetly get them out as soon as I can, thats just the nature of the beast. There are several older cachers that are great guys and would drop what they are doing to help you, perhaps when you asked they were busy or perhaps you asked the wrong ones?

I can only reiterate have fun with what you are doing and do not let a few ruin the experiance.

Regards all the best
Steve

scotty&lochie
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by scotty&lochie » 14 November 08 8:14 pm

I dont take it to personally,its just that i have been involved in so many different activities and clubs over the years where it's spoiled by the dinosaurs. Young blood and new members are the lifeline of any club and activity.

The dinosaur is extinct - its a lesson for us all

scotty&lochie
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by scotty&lochie » 14 November 08 8:27 pm

By the way,we love it!!!!! It's a real family exercise and we all enjoy it no matter what happens. Finding time is the only problem we have also. Cheers Steve

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 14 November 08 10:09 pm

scotty&lochie wrote:The dinosaur is extinct - its a lesson for us all
Hmm.. they were the dominant lifeforms on the planet for over 150 million years, vs our "new blood" humanity of well under a single million so far.
Was that the lesson you meant? :)

scotty&lochie
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by scotty&lochie » 14 November 08 11:10 pm

It's all good, don't let politics ruin it. mentioning that point, how come some people only list on GCA and not GC ?
Last edited by scotty&lochie on 15 November 08 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

totalube
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 15 November 08 12:23 am

scotty&lochie wrote:150,000,000 means bugger all once your gone !! We are here now, maybe the lesson should be that you must be smart enough to adapt or perish. Maybe it could be said the croc adapted and survived but who knows. All I am saying is accept every new cacher as a bonus. If their cache are a bit poor help them improve.
Not really, dinosaurs still have a huge influence on us, movies, toys, etc. There passing doesn't mean we are any better if we learn nothing from what has happened.

Any species that has survived from those times, have done so with very little change over time, otherwise they would not be so similar to us. A good example is the shark, evolved the right characteristics, that made it a great predator, that has changed little over time.

Of course we evolved form much smaller mammals that were able to adapt, but in doing so evolved beyond what they were, constantly changing, filling in niches in our environment. However many new species came and went very quickly and there are probably many more that died out without leaving any fossil records. The ones that triumphed were able to accept what has been and adapt that knowledge to the future.

So what does that mean to cachers, well all the "dinosaur" cachers would have moved on but they will influence caching for millions of years.

The "shark" cachers will go on caching that same way, happy in the knowledge that what they do works, and works well.

Many "New species" will appear, fail miserably, and disappear with no influence on caching at all.

Some "New species" will survive long enough to provide some influence for future caching, but will only leave a few fossils.

And very few "New species" will survive, learn from the dinosaurs, sharks and other fossils to adapt taking the best from all geological eras to become a cacher.

The question is what do you want to be?

1. Dinosaur
2. Shark
3. Insignificant New species
4. Barley significant New species
5. An adaptable New species

Please remember that with current molecular biology, extinct species may one day live again :D

Me I would think I am a 5, but am hoping to evolve into a 2 :D