It's all about the numbers.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found

It's all about the numbers.

Post by TeamAstro » 28 October 08 2:38 pm

It's all about the numbers. Some useful data on why people regularly come to stunning Adelaide for the 24 hour cache run and a chance at finding 200 caches in a single day. These stats are based on current live caches as at 27 September 2008.

City ; Caching Centre ; Caches within 10 km radius ; Caches/sq km ; % Change

Adelaide ; Victoria Squaricle ; 483 ; 6.1 ; 0%

Brisbane ; Brisbane Line ; 428 ; 5.4 ; -11%

Canberra ; Ainslie''s Sheep ; 281 ; 3.6 ; -42%

Melbourne ; Melbourne Music Trivia ; 241 ; 3.1 ; -50%

Sydney ; Writers of Reknown ; 211 ; 2.7 ; -56%

All those lovely Adelaide caches are on a square grid of roads, with no nasty freeways or horrible rivers to mangle your search pattern.
Remember 200 caches in a 24 hours is still up for grabs in Australia.
This has to be the place to get it done. But is not about the numbers is it?

Posted on behalf of Freddo who like me can't get rid of the error posts at times...

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 28 October 08 4:21 pm

Hmmmm, Mrs Bundy and I are coming to Adelaide in April 2009. The road trip down and back is predominantly about caching. All 4 weeks of it. We may spend 5 days or so in Adelaide. Thats 5 chances to grab 200 in a day.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 28 October 08 4:26 pm

One cache every seven minutes :roll: No S on that safari suit :lol: with undies on the out side :oops: Bin there and looked quiet closely at all this :!: :!: Anybody making the attempt let me know so I can get the time off to watch :wink: :wink:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 28 October 08 4:34 pm

Having watched the Kiwi record-setters for 24 hours from the van, all I can say is: Good Luck!

Military-style preparation and execution is required. For a nominal fee, I can offer advice and driving skills!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 28 October 08 4:38 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Having watched the Kiwi record-setters for 24 hours from the van, all I can say is: Good Luck!

Military-style preparation and execution is required. For a nominal fee, I can offer advice and driving skills!
There is just something about that 7 minutes, I have been there now :oops: :!:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 October 08 8:51 pm

Without even wanting to attempt it, I am trying to work out the best 24 hour period. Christmas is good as the city is the quietest, though having found some in Adelaide CBD a few Christmas's ago there are still people around. And in theory the roads would be quieter except during the times when everyone heads to the relatives for lunch.

Any attempt would obviously need to be a team thing so more chance of finding it. I am still trying to work out how you find a cache every 7 minutes, without taking into account toilet and meal breaks (yes I know you can eat on the run, but unless everyone brings a bottle....)

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 29 October 08 5:04 am

richary wrote: Any attempt would obviously need to be a team thing so more chance of finding it. I am still trying to work out how you find a cache every 7 minutes, without taking into account toilet and meal breaks (yes I know you can eat on the run, but unless everyone brings a bottle....)
Sounds good in theory, as I said anyone wishing to attempt this let me know :wink: :wink:

team waldron
2500 or more caches found

Post by team waldron » 29 October 08 2:05 pm

There'd have to be nearly a hundred from around the Airport to Coromandel Valley and slightly further south. You'd do 50 in 2-3 hours easy assuming you were properly organised.

There's Trail06's train station series, and Lava12's hides not to mention a certain Tennis club series, plus others.

This excludes puzzle caches.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 October 08 2:21 pm

team waldron wrote:This excludes puzzle caches.
And you shouldn't exclude puzzle cache. A solved puzzle is just another trad!

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 29 October 08 2:52 pm

We will be in Adelaide in about two weeks but I think the record will be safe. :D :D :D The Wedding we are going to may get in the way of our caching. We will be in the Victor Harbour area for a day and then up in the hills at Bridgewater for the rest. Hope to pick up as many as we can though.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 29 October 08 3:21 pm

OK you cannot do a cache every 7 minutes I dont give a chit what anyone says :shock:

team waldron

Post by team waldron » 29 October 08 3:35 pm

And you say "I want to believe"

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 29 October 08 3:56 pm

team waldron wrote:And you say "I want to believe"
Yep :!: Time to come out :shock: :shock: we had full intention of having a crack at this :wink: :wink: but after a bit of recon we/I decided it could not be done :!: :!: :!: :!: (just pulling the fire suit on) between distance between each cache and sometime coord mismatch and the like, even though most caches are close together it is not mortally possible. Even with someone knowing the lay of the land and pre solved/found puzzles without divine intervention it cannot be done :wink: As I said if anyone wishes to prove me wrong let me know and I shall be on the first plane to Adelaide, as I mentioned before "bin there"
i would LOVE to be involved in being proven wrong :!:

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 October 08 4:51 pm

Mr Router wrote:... after a bit of recon we/I decided it could not be done :!: :!: :!: :!: (just pulling the fire suit on) between distance between each cache and sometime coord mismatch and the like, even though most caches are close together it is not mortally possible. Even with someone knowing the lay of the land and pre solved/found puzzles without divine intervention it cannot be done
Well, the Kiwis only spent an average of 7.4 minutes per cache, and I saw them find every one of them! (Well, sort of 'saw', I was often turning the van around or calling up the next parking waypoint, etc.)

The scary thing is that there were a few delay times (a couple caused by me :oops: ) and they eventually ran out of their cache list and spent quite some time scrabbling around for unplanned caches.
If it hadn't been for those, they might've cracked the 7 mins/cache!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 29 October 08 5:52 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
Mr Router wrote:... after a bit of recon we/I decided it could not be done :!: :!: :!: :!: (just pulling the fire suit on) between distance between each cache and sometime coord mismatch and the like, even though most caches are close together it is not mortally possible. Even with someone knowing the lay of the land and pre solved/found puzzles without divine intervention it cannot be done
Well, the Kiwis only spent an average of 7.4 minutes per cache, and I saw them find every one of them! (Well, sort of 'saw', I was often turning the van around or calling up the next parking waypoint, etc.)

The scary thing is that there were a few delay times (a couple caused by me :oops: ) and they eventually ran out of their cache list and spent quite some time scrabbling around for unplanned caches.
If it hadn't been for those, they might've cracked the 7 mins/cache!
I am afraid i have to call you on this one :shock: you have to drive to, locate then be off to the next cache in lets call a round figure 7 minutes :shock: 8 gps in hand to approach from the one direction then to split up to triangulate to gz then load back to a van :roll: :roll: Sorry mate but we have seen the lay of the land, I would love to see the track log, an attachment here would be fine :wink: