Believe it or not - The fake $100 note that saved my cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Believe it or not - The fake $100 note that saved my cache

Post by Rabbitto » 06 October 08 6:54 pm

Our Big Orange cache had gone missing. Jardry had visited the cache with Liz and Bruce and found that the whole area had been bulldozed around and remnants of the cache lay in pieces on the ground in the general vicinity of where the cache hide used to be. They kindly laid a temporary cache to last until we could get over to put a full replacement cache in place.

Some weeks later. we were in the area and one of the jobs we had to do was fix the cache. Before that though, we were talking to someone and we mentioned that we were geocaching as part of our trip. The person said that he had found a geocache by accident once. He was bulldozing and as he backed up, he saw what he thought was a kids lunchbox that he had run over, but thought "Oh well". Then he saw the contents and in particular, what looked like a $100 note on the ground. This was enough to make him stop the dozer and jump off to investigate.

He found soon enough that the note was a fake but since he was off the dozer now, he had checked out the other trinkets finding also the log book and the stash note. He collected them all up and after finishing the job, took it all back to the office. The office girl hopped onto the internet and soon the whole staff had gathered around the computer to see what this geocaching was all about. They were able to locate the cache in question and then decided that they would get a new box and replace it. Unfortunately, they did not have a GPSr, so he went back and placed the cache as close to the original spot as he though he could.

It is obviously no surprise by now that he was talking about my cache. He had used the hint on the cache page and had hidden the cache in the spot by the object that matched the hint. Unfortunately, this object had been moved 30 metres so was probably now unfindable by geocaching standards but knowing what we were looking for, we drove over to the cache site and located it within seconds. Everything, except the box which had been replaced, was all in good condition. We decided to used the new co-ords and made the appropriate adjustments.

The real twist in the tale though, is that the person who had run over and replaced the cache was none other than my own nephew. We hadn't caught up with him for a couple of years and of course, the name Rabbitto meant nothing to him.

Move over Ripley...

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 06 October 08 7:06 pm

Thanks for sharing an amazing story. Truth certainly is stranger than fiction.

Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Knot_gillty » 06 October 08 7:32 pm

Maybe your nephew knew it was you and because you hadn't seen each other for so long decided the best way to get you there was to destroy your cache and do some "maintenance" :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

It worked...

The Morris
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by The Morris » 06 October 08 9:34 pm

What a great yarn.
And maybe it was Karma for your "good deed" in locating and fixing up our muggled cache on the way to SA.

crane2
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by crane2 » 06 October 08 10:32 pm

And some people say there's nothing in this 6 degrees of separation stuff! What are you going to do when the Big Orange gets sold (again) or is turned into the Big Golf Ball as was suggested in the local paper recently? :)

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 07 October 08 11:20 am

Great story Rabbitto, thanks for sharing it. I did have a gardener find and replace GEGP#1 albeit in the wrong spot, but nothing as good as that. Given where it was it was more like 3 degrees of separation, but still a good story. :D

Liz and Bruce
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Liz and Bruce » 08 October 08 7:58 pm

Bruce was at the geocaching lunch in Adelaide today and Jardry told him about your entry. So we had a look for ourselves and thoroughly enjoyed reading the history about the cache which we thought had pretty much reached its conclusion when we had relocated it. It sure is a small world. :roll: :roll: