Fake Cachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Fake Cachers

Post by Spruce Mooses » 01 October 08 11:25 pm

I've just come across a faker cacher here

Been a member for a day and has found 63 caches, some of which I know are missing and some which take quite lengthy walks to get to, so unless they're superman, how is this the case.

The only log left on all the caches is 'Easy'.

Do I delete the logs?
Is there any way of closing these kind of accounts?

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 October 08 11:31 pm

I remember yonks ago a thread on someone doing something similar to some US 5/5 caches. Just leaving a comment like "walk in the park".

Then again, looking at the logs they are spread out over a period of time. So maybe it is part of a team that has split up? And this half of the team set up their own ID to log the caches.

I brought a couple of girlfriends into the game but they didn't continue it after we split up so never had to argue about setting up separate accounts and backdating the finds.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 01 October 08 11:50 pm

Finds are spread over some time and with WA and VIC finds a quick look suggests another cacher found same caches on same days. Other cacher has been member since start of the year. Maybe a family member creating their own account?

Maybe not the most detailed logs but not necessarily a faker

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 01 October 08 11:52 pm

richary wrote:I brought a couple of girlfriends into the game ...
8)

You have either achieved legend status in the minds of mere mortal male cachers everywhere.....

Or you didn't do this simultaneously....

:shock:

DJ

Richary

Post by Richary » 02 October 08 12:27 am

OK, different girlfriends at different times! I introduced 3 to it as if they wanted to go out with me they needed to understand the hobby (or should that be obsession!).

And with the last in Adelaide I introduced her kids, the 2 boys loved it, the 14 yo daughter went along with it but couldn't connect with her on anything more than music like Evanescence. But her mum couldn't either so I don't think that's my fault. But we digress :P

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Fake Cachers

Post by ian-and-penny » 02 October 08 7:36 am

Spruce Mooses wrote:I've just come across a faker cacher here

Been a member for a day and has found 63 caches, some of which I know are missing and some which take quite lengthy walks to get to, so unless they're superman, how is this the case.

The only log left on all the caches is 'Easy'.

Do I delete the logs?
Is there any way of closing these kind of accounts?
Contact them & query the finds - as a "concerned" cache owner - and see what they say.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 02 October 08 7:58 am

It looks like the fake cacher could be connected to of another cacher of few words who found the caches on the same day

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 02 October 08 11:24 am

I saw the logs for perth caches yesterday and wondered the same thing. but then I thought who cares :?: if someone whats to play it that way. other than the possible fake finds on the cache page from an owners point of view I guess

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 02 October 08 11:46 am

I'd probably query and, if appropriate, delete logs on our caches that turned out to be bogus. Partly because I just don't like liars, but mostly because it's part of the responsibility of a cache owner, as specified in the guidelines (with which I have more than a passing familiarity! :wink: )

But that'd be it, I don't care enough to chase anyone up over it where it doesn't impact me. Somebody with 50,000 bogus logs doesn't remove a single one of my finds or any of my fond memories.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 02 October 08 8:37 pm

rhinogeo wrote:It looks like the fake cacher could be connected to of another cacher of few words who found the caches on the same day
I should've also said that they therefore may not be fake

Teglian
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Teglian » 06 October 08 10:20 pm

I'll put my hand up and say that I'm guilty of doing this, but it was because I had split away from the joint account me and my ex had, so that I could have my own one and do my own caching. Best to ask before you start deleting, if it's a case of a split up of a joint account then fair enough, if they don't get back to you and ignore your emails then it's someone up to something.

We had a similar thing in Canberra a few months back of someone saying they'd found so many in one day. A few people went out and check their caches to find that they hadn't been signed by the person which was a dead give away.

I still find it really hard that people can't be honest about if they have or haven't found a cache, what's the point in cheating in a game like this anyway? You don't gain geocelebrity status that way, and people will remember you as just another cheater. But again, always best to ask questions first, and belittle later :-) (especially if it's another one of us cachers who's split away from their group)