Earth caches being placed on top of pre existing caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 21 September 08 8:13 pm

I love Earthcaches and the information I learn from them. Must be my science background :D

Gathering the required information is just as interesting as finding a traditional ....to me. And geoware has a great program going where you can earn pins.
http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/ecMasters.htm

I have my Gold Earthcache Master and am working toward the Platinum.

Oh and keep geocaching free and open, that's what's so great about it, the variety. Don't let one type of cacher dictate what should or shouldn't be :evil:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 September 08 11:18 pm

McAdies wrote:I don't know why people are complaining about this topic. :?
Nobody is forcing you to do EarthCaches. Some people actually like doing them. If you don't like them then just ignore them. If you want to put a cache near one then go for it you are within the rules to do so.
<p>

I like Earthcaches even though there is nothing physical to find. That's cool, just as I used to find GC virtuals and still find GCA locationless. So I'm not complaining about earthcaches per se, just them being on top of real caches (or vice versa).

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 23 September 08 9:32 pm

I have been very nearly caught out with caches being on top of each other on a map. I also recall that Geodes was good enough to move a new Unknown cache that he had created on top of another so that both could be seen.
<p>
So it is an issue, although not a huge one.
<p>
Ideally the caches would be just far enough apart to appear separated at a reasonable scale.
<p>
But then you run across the problem of you need the coordinates to be at an information sign or whatever.
<p>
Perhaps another reason to not have Virtuals. And I do so like Earthcaches! :D

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 23 September 08 10:11 pm

heres a hypothetical to talk/type about

theres a sign with a magnetic traditional on the back of it and earth cache gets made at the same sign. same coordinates.

Surely the earth cache is not showing the cacher anything the normal cache isnt, but on the other side of the coin, the magnetic key holder might be a lame hide in comparison...

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 24 September 08 11:49 am

Udderchaos wrote:theres a sign with a magnetic traditional on the back of it and earth cache gets made at the same sign. same coordinates.
Surely the earth cache is not showing the cacher anything the normal cache isnt, but on the other side of the coin, the magnetic key holder might be a lame hide in comparison...
If the microcache has no information in the listing, then the Earthcache might still have merit as it will almost certainly add some information beyond what's on the sign.
If all the EC does is take you to an information sign that contains all the same info as the EC listing, then it's mostly a redundant placement.

I guess the only saving grace of the EC in this latter case is that it does at least require the finder to actually read the informative sign instead of just grabbing the micro and dashing onwards to the next smiley.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 24 September 08 8:52 pm

Like it has been said if the EC does make mention of the trad so you get 2 for the price of 1 !! personly i like them all it's a bit of varity. a change form doing just trad's in my opinion thery are all good.

Rigger64

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 04 November 08 5:08 pm

My opinion...

Earth caches are a great idea.

Better if they were subject to the 161 metre rule.

If it must violate the 161 metre rule, and an ordinary geocache exists at the the location, and it is such an excellent site which absolutely must warrant an earthcache, then the publishers should first

A. give the existing cache owner the opportunity to upgrade their listing to draw attention to the "bigger picture" or

B. allow the existing cache owner to have "first dibs" on owning the earth cache.

Regards

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 November 08 5:38 pm

Not too sure agree that they should be subject to the 161m rule. I completed an excellent cache on the weekend at a magnificent geological feature. <P> I love the location but was thinking of contacting the owner and suggesting that he set up an Earthcache here as well. It would double the bang for visiting but also pass on information (I know this can be added to the cache page but having to answer questions cements the knowledge, ask any teacher) I'm not too sure how interested he is though...<P>I couldn't see what harm it would do.

SecretSquirrel-BJC

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 04 November 08 5:51 pm

I think that would really be unnecessary and redundant.

Perhaps the traditional could be changed to an unknown with a logging requirement to answer an educational question.

In future, perhaps the existing owner would place an earthcache instead of a traditional.

Perhaps there are thousands of granite outcrops in ACT where new earthcaches in "green fields" locations could serve to provide an educational insight into the development of granite boulders, cracks, blocks and weathering etc etc

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 November 08 7:46 pm

Each to there own....<p>One thing I do agree with is I wouldn't place an Earthcache without checking with the owner first. You will note in my last past,<br>
big matt wrote:contacting the owner and suggesting that he set up an Earthcache here as well

tronador

Post by tronador » 04 November 08 10:10 pm

Earthcaches are great. Don't forget to check out the Earthcache Masters Program where you can earn shiny Earthcache pins for visiting these very educational and interesting sites all over the world.

http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/ecMasters.htm

I have Bronze, Silver ,Gold and (a white pin for completing the worlds first Earthcache at Durras Beach)

Vote 1 for Earthcaches :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :D