I need help...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

I need help...

Post by Cheesy pigs » 20 September 08 12:17 pm

...that is totally un-caching related.

For some reason I am finding it really difficult to log on to secure sites (https). I am running Windows XP, IE 6.0 (shock, horror), and it is taking over 5 minutes to load https sites, but mostly it just freezes. It's been happening for about 4 days now.

I tried looking at my internet options menu under security and privacy but cant see anything wrong there. I am running a phishing filter, and am on ADSL Broadband as well.

I cant get into PayPal or hotmail or any secure site that needs a password. Sometimes I get through but it can take up to 10 minutes.

Anyone know what I can do? And just for the record, I know most of you hate IE, but it works for me....so far :P
Last edited by Cheesy pigs on 20 September 08 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 20 September 08 12:22 pm

Change to Firefox :)
IE used to do that to me, so I swapped.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 20 September 08 12:23 pm

*sigh* Why did I know people would say that? :lol:

It has only been happening for the last few days - I never had problems before that...

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 20 September 08 1:29 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote:*sigh* Why did I know people would say that? :lol:

It has only been happening for the last few days - I never had problems before that...
Well I transferred over to Firefox, and it's even worse, I cant even get to the first page! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 20 September 08 1:38 pm

I know this might no necessarily be helpful, but whenever I get myself into a driver related bungle that is likely to be a absolute pain to fix, I just re-install windows. It usually save a lot of time, (unless you have thousands of programs you use all the time) and as an added bonus your computer runs like new after. Of course it would be wise to rule out any external reasons beforehand.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 20 September 08 2:33 pm

Jezzza_Xtreme wrote:I know this might no necessarily be helpful, but whenever I get myself into a driver related bungle that is likely to be a absolute pain to fix, I just re-install windows. It usually save a lot of time, (unless you have thousands of programs you use all the time) and as an added bonus your computer runs like new after. Of course it would be wise to rule out any external reasons beforehand.
Thanks Jezzza :)

I have checked, and it's the same on our other computer as well. Might be time to go and complain to Bigpond ;)

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: I need help...

Post by Chwiliwr » 20 September 08 3:09 pm

MS have done something in IE recently that affects some secure sites. IE takes a long time to tell me that something is wrong with the certificates and won't display the page until I respond to a message. It only affects some secure sites. What you are getting may be related.

Firefox doesn't seem to have this problem at the same sites so whatever it is seems to be only IE related.

Cheesy pigs

Re: I need help...

Post by Cheesy pigs » 20 September 08 5:19 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:MS have done something in IE recently that affects some secure sites. IE takes a long time to tell me that something is wrong with the certificates and won't display the page until I respond to a message. It only affects some secure sites. What you are getting may be related.

Firefox doesn't seem to have this problem at the same sites so whatever it is seems to be only IE related.
Hmm that's the thing though - Firefox was actually worse - I still couldn't access the secure sites. I even disabled and removed my security systems, and still nothing.

Wingaap

Post by Wingaap » 20 September 08 5:32 pm

I had a similar problem when I got rid of Nortons. Seemed that some of the 'leftovers' of Nortons was causing the problem. Removed it totally and hey presto all was well in the world again.

Which brings me to my comment.....have you updated/removed or altered anything of late?

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 20 September 08 8:00 pm

No I haven't, that's what is frustrating. But I have noticed it just seems to be Verisign sites. I can access Westpac banking services, and they use another one, but PayPal, Hotmail and MyState Credit Union run on Verisign, and it seems to have died.

I rang Bigpond, and they took me through numerous things to fix the issue. But still no joy :(

vk7hch
1150 or more Caches found
1150 or more Caches found

Post by vk7hch » 20 September 08 8:22 pm

Hi neighbour, I take it you have tried all the standard things, like resetting the ADSL modem.<br> I was going to suggest clearing all cookies from the machine affected but then saw that it is affecting multiple machines. Give it a try anyway, what have you got to lose but caching time. :twisted:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 September 08 8:54 pm

This might seem like an odd thing to say, but check the date/time of your computer (and the year).... just to make sure you havent warped it into the year 2030 or something and the Verisign SSL certificates have expired

I've seen it happen.

Also check this:
Open IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and scroll to bottom of list. The SSL and TLS options (all versions) should be checked.

There also could be a problem with your firewall, or your routers firewall.
check (if possible) that port 443 isn't blocked... if it is, you will get timeouts (big delays) when trying to authenticate to https:// sites.

What firewall software are/were you running prior to all this (if any?)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 September 08 8:58 pm

Found this too on the intarwebs:
"Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) slate and AutoComplete history: IE, Tools, Internet Options, Content tab. Under Certificates, click Clear SSL State. Click OK when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared. Under Personal information, click AutoComplete. Under Clear AutoComplete history, click Clear Forms. Click OK when you are prompted to confirm the operation. "

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 21 September 08 9:49 am

Well thankyou, you two - I dont know which suggestion did it, but everything is working again (except for paypal).

Thanks for the help everyone :D

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 21 September 08 11:05 am

Glad it's all working.
Maybe you should also upgrade to IE 7