Now here's something worthy of gripping about

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mischief's Crew
100 or more tracks walked

Now here's something worthy of gripping about

Post by Mischief's Crew » 14 September 08 10:19 pm

Venting Steam Here :evil: <br>
<br>
Went to Champion Lakes today to hide the Moveable Magnetic (1st mistake)<br>
Being a wet, windy and cold day there weren't many people around at all. We had the place to ourselves.<br>
Just thought it would be a great place to hide the Magnetic and give Amber a good walk at the same time.<br>
Couldn't find Amber's little backpack so just took my bum bag. (2nd mistake)<br>
Normally swap the stuff out of my purse into my bum bag but didn't. (3rd mistake)<br>
Threw the purse in to the glovebox. (4th and final HUGE mistake)<br>
<br>
Yep, got back to the car and the window was smashed in and they had rifled through the glove box and consul compartment.<br>
<br>
Only had just over $20.00 in there - so no big deal. Have to cancel all the cards etc. Real pain in the rear, but we can deal with that even. The photo in my purse - I don't think I will ever get over losing that. It was a photo of my Dad in his army uniform that he gave to me out of my Mum's purse when she died and now my Dad has gone as well. So it was a photo I held so dear.<br>
<br>
I hope the little b***ds buy something to eat with the money and choke on it. If I ever hear someone gloating of a break-in I am liable to beat the living daylights out of them on the spot and I'm not a violent person - but I sure am thinking really evil thoughts towards them.<br>
<br>
So DON'T LEAVE YOUR PURSE IN YOUR CAR EVER!!!!<br>
<br>
Plus don't go to Champion Lakes when there are not plenty of people milling around.<br>
<br>
Why do the low life have to come along and spoil it for us. Then they get away with it, even if they are caught. It makes me so mad.<br>
<br>
Sorry just needed a rant on this one. I do still love caching.

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 14 September 08 10:43 pm

Yes, Westfield/Kelmscott's always been a high quality area....

rogainer
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by rogainer » 14 September 08 10:43 pm

I can really sympathise with you.
I had a similar incident a number of years ago at a cache site on the central coast of NSW.
Had left valuables in the car and you guessed it, broken window on my return. You can replace physical items, but about 1 years worth of video of my daughter growing up is not replaceable.

HHHEddy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by HHHEddy » 15 September 08 12:20 am

Sorry to hear that about the loss.

I was up at Stairway to Heaven today and a similar occurrence happened to a group of rock climbers. So we chose to park further down the road near the turn off. As the cars were more visible from the main road we hoped a little more secure.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 September 08 1:44 am

Yes, I was with hhheddy today and as we pulled up some rockclimbers were busy sweeping broken glass out of the car. So decided to park another 500m back on the main road in case the bastards were hiding out of sight in the bush waiting for the next one (as I was over in a hire car didn't really fancy the minimum $2200 excess for any damage including just a smashed window).

Has happened to me once before at the station near Gosford, where they smashed the window to get $2 of shrapnel that were sitting in the centre console. Today the boot contained the work laptop, satnav, dig cam so it would have been a nice haul if I left it in the wrong spot.

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 15 September 08 9:09 am

Great sympathy Mischief's Crew!!! Had the same experience last year and was furious afterwards. Pix & memories are impossible to replace.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 September 08 12:28 pm

Yeah, had a similar experience at Whitemans Park a few weeks ago. Luckily, not much of sentimental value was taken, although MBL's still trying to think what might have been on the laptop that was stolen that's not backed up elsewhere (nothing, I hope)

Insurance has come through on it and I'm now the proud owner of an EEE PC 1000H, but I'd also like five minutes alone with the scrotes who did it...

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 15 September 08 1:49 pm

i went through a stage where i was sick of my car being damaged when it was broken into i stopped leaving anything in the car and just left it unlocked. much easier.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 15 September 08 3:40 pm

If you where a druged out crook would you break into the car with the brand name GPS, 4wding gear, geocaching etc etc stickers all over it or the "plane jane" looking car?

Just something to think about :wink:

CanSolo

Post by CanSolo » 15 September 08 9:35 pm

Usually it's looking at the cigarette lighter, and seeing if there is anything plugged in. Only left something plugged in twice, and both times they went through the car, and that was parked outside my own house. Lost a Explorist 210 that way - was under about 3-4 newspapers and a jacket, so they had to have a good look to find it...

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 16 September 08 12:42 am

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes it's worth doing the rounds of the bins in the nearby area, as well as looking over fences & behind bushes as they'll clean the purse out and dump it.

DJ