Which Laptop to buy

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found

Which Laptop to buy

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 31 August 08 10:41 pm

My trusty 5 year old Dell laptop is getting old and I need to buy another laptop
Can anyone give me Pro's and con's on the 9,10 or 12 inch laptops on today's market

The 10 inch MSI wind looks like a winner but is there anything else that is better

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Which Laptop to buy

Post by riblit » 31 August 08 10:50 pm

Skippy&lambchops wrote:My trusty 5 year old Dell laptop is getting old and I need to buy another laptop
Can anyone give me Pro's and con's on the 9,10 or 12 inch laptops on today's market

The 10 inch MSI wind looks like a winner but is there anything else that is better
ALDI have a neat looking 15"wide screen model going on sale next Thursday. The specs look good and its well priced at $999.00. Have a look at http://www.aldi.com.au

Disclaimer. I have no connection with Aldi, I read catalogues.

Skippy&lambchops

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 31 August 08 10:59 pm

thanks riblit but I'm looking for the smaller screen, my dell is 13" and even thats too big but it's done me well for over 5 years

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 31 August 08 11:46 pm

I am running a few of the MSI Wind U100 with 10" screen. They are bloody awesome!!!

Have done a few trips with it now inc O/Seas and it rocks!

To a point I am going to sell off my HP 10" Tablet PC which has had bugger all use, because I like the Wind so much!

I can get them wholesale if your in need. I also Ram'd mine up to 2 gig (about 50 bucks).

ma77hew
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by ma77hew » 01 September 08 12:31 am

My choices were limited, as my purchase was largely funded by a Coles voucher (OK, I could've just used it for my groceries and saved up some cash). I was originally set on the Asus eeePC, but ended up walking out with an Acer Aspire One, and I love it. It out-specs my 3-year-old 15.4" laptop, and is less than half the size - it fits in the front pocket of my backpack! The WinXP models are currently flying out the door at Officeworks for $645, and there may even be a cashback promotion going at the moment.

The only negatives I've read of in reviews are concerning the slow running SSD on some of the Linux units. Apparently, they're sourced from two different suppliers, and it's pot luck as to whether you get a fast one or a slow one.