Newbies only

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 31 August 08 11:51 am

Find it, dont log it then forward it to Calculon :lol:

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 31 August 08 1:16 pm

Dooghan said:
The way I see it, it's there cache, and they can put any restrictions they want. It's the way they want to play the game and I got no problem with it. If you think about it we all put some sort of restriction on our caches.
I am sure the cachers are well-intentioned - I just don't understand the logic of the restriction and what is trying to be achieved.:?: :?:

I can (almost) understand the FTF and first few finds being reserved for newbies to have a chance. Personally, when I was a newbie, I quickly discovered that if I wanted to get an ftf, I had to be very quick off the mark.

:idea: Perhaps setting a difficulty puzzle with listed coordinates on their home letterbox, with a restriction that they aren't allowed to find it. Would people like to play the game that way? :twisted: :twisted:

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 31 August 08 3:58 pm

Very strange, but that's the way the Piggies want to play it. It's their cache and their call.

Oh well I've added it to my ignore list. Plenty more fish in the sea to find.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 31 August 08 5:13 pm

SecretSquirrel-BJC wrote:I am sure the cachers are well-intentioned - I just don't understand the logic of the restriction and what is trying to be achieved.:?: :?:

I can (almost) understand the FTF and first few finds being reserved for newbies to have a chance. Personally, when I was a newbie, I quickly discovered that if I wanted to get an ftf, I had to be very quick off the mark.

:idea: Perhaps setting a difficulty puzzle with listed coordinates on their home letterbox, with a restriction that they aren't allowed to find it. Would people like to play the game that way? :twisted: :twisted:
I don't understand the numbers people but I don't tell them how to play. We all play the game how we want. To give you an example I've got a heap of ftf just placed in my area. I'm trying to decide when to find them (what month) and if I want the ftf. It's got to be a year or 2 since a new cache has been placed in my area. Don't want to find them to fast. Come to think about it I can find this cache. I've got less then 200 finds.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 31 August 08 5:45 pm

pjamesk wrote:
My experience has been that more established cachers are more difficult to manage. They move the cache, they write me notes TELLING me what I NEED to do to MY cache to make THEM happy, they leap on new caches within hours of publication depriving newbies the thrill of being first to find. They write with incomprehensible acronyms (excluding new cachers again) and they get aggressive when their incomprehensible logs are removed.
I'm confused by the rationale too, mostly because the behaviour stated above (moving caches, telling owners what should be done to caches, getting aggressive if logs are removed/requested to be edited) I have never seen from experienced cachers.

However, I have seen several examples of the above from UNEXPERIENCED cachers (usually those with less than 20 finds). So based on what I've seen, restricting this cache to newbies increases the chance of these things happening.

Placing a restriction on the FTF to allow newbies a chance to experience it, I have no problems with.

McAdies
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by McAdies » 31 August 08 5:50 pm

It doesn't. It makes the game (geocaching) a little easier for me to manage. My experience has been that more established cachers are more difficult to manage. They move the cache, they write me notes TELLING me what I NEED to do to MY cache to make THEM happy, they leap on new caches within hours of publication depriving newbies the thrill of being first to find. They write with incomprehensible acronyms (excluding new cachers again) and they get aggressive when their incomprehensible logs are removed.

In my work and in my life, I focus on helping new people learn new things. My geocaches are, by design, quick and easy finds and I place limits designed to privilege newer cachers. More established players have the experience they need to find more difficult caches in more difficult locations, they don't NEED my caches.

I'm motivated to place the 200-found limit by the experience of placing the Fan Death (GC1F90K) cache.
Then this from the Fan Death cache from a team with only 81 finds...
Apparently it isn't just the teams with over 200 finds that are telling them what they NEED to do to their caches, it's also the "beginners" too! :lol:

PS. The camo needs a little work. I took the liberty of using one of the doggie doo do bags and placed the container in that and replaced the cache back in its place. If you are in the right area, you'll still find it.

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 31 August 08 6:50 pm

PS. The camo needs a little work. I took the liberty of using one of the doggie doo do bags and placed the container in that and replaced the cache back in its place. If you are in the right area, you'll still find it.
as for people taking the liberty of altering cachers - NO experienced cacher i know would wrap a cache in a doggie doo bag!! it encourages slugs, spiders and retains water. bleugh.

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by pjamesk » 31 August 08 7:17 pm

<p>If I do find one of these caches now, when I get to 200+ find will it be deleted like this?</p>
'Splendor is in the Memories' is a 'Newbie Cache' (Newbie V2.0 now!). This means that, if you fit our definition of a 'newbie' cacher, we'd like you to log your find on this cache twice. Specifically, if you have less than 30 'Found' caches to your name, you should make two 'found it' logs on this cache when you find it. Note in your note which one you'd like removed when your 'found' count exceeds 30 caches, and we'll remove the extra one, or you can do it yourself - whatever!!! (If you don't fit our definition of a 'Newbie', then log your find once as you would normally log any other cache.)
<p>I thnik it was this cache that put the bee in their bonet </P>
<P>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 68116f9f08 </P>
<P> In all of this it is their cache and they can do what they want. but I wouldn't want to log a cache twice only to have one log deleted once I got to 30</P>
<P>Oh just one more thing. What is the definition of a "newbie"? I was going to send them a pm but I'm not sure that I would get a reply</P>

feral five

Post by feral five » 31 August 08 7:20 pm

that cache has been archived, but their other one has now received the <200 treatment.

My log today from fan death...http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 6250bf83d2
I hadnt updated my GPS so wasnt aware that this cache had changed status when we went to find it.

Luckily then we couldnt find this cache, as with over two hundred finds I am deemed too experienced for such an easy cache.

We searched for ages through clumps of overgrown shrubs to no avail. Found lots of litter and broken glass though.
Thanks anyway...

I think the restriction is ridiculous based on the reasons provided.
Geopiggies have placed 2 caches in 5 years and both within the last month or so.
I have never had any of mine moved, and any emails i get are constructive or alerting that a log is damp or full. I guess if the cache is just shoved under a shrub in a 30m long hedge it might get placed back in the wrong spot. maybe this says more about the hide then the finder.

The fun is in the chase, visiting different places, and i guess trying to increase your number of finds.
My finding ( or not finding) a cache has NO impact on anyone elses attempts to find it.
As for getting the log removed, once its entered on the website is that possible ? I cant see how without contacting groundspeak ...

/rant... :wink:[/url]

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 31 August 08 9:58 pm

SSPACK wrote: As for getting the log removed, once its entered on the website is that possible ? I cant see how without contacting groundspeak ...
The cache owner can delete logs. If you go to one of your placed caches and click the "view this log on a seperate page" link below someone's log you'll see a "delete log" button.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 31 August 08 10:28 pm

I must admit I stopped at Fan Death the other day as it was near work (before it changed status to a newbie cache). After finding myself at GZ I thought "why bother". Had a quick look but with all those shrubs it was either going to be obvious or not. As it wasn't I decided it wasn't worth spending lots of time to root through every possible weed to look for it. It wasn't even worth a DNF as a cache placement.

So maybe lets come up with some new cache ideas. You can only log this if you live more than 50km away as I want people to make the effort to get to it. Or you can only log this if it is your FTF as I want finders to remember it, no matter how lame the hide is.

Does deleting someone's log also take one back off their find count?

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 31 August 08 10:34 pm

pjamesk wrote: I was going to send them a pm but I'm not sure that I would get a reply</P>
I have and haven't.

Looking at Black Cat the owner maintenance is pretty patchy to non-existent. And the problems with moving seemed to start when a number of newer cachers were finders - so agree with richary - why bother?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 31 August 08 10:49 pm

Yes, a deleted Found It log no longer counts towards your total (not that it's about the numbers, of course!) and a cache owner has the ability and the right to do so. In fact, if they've specified an additional logging requirement, then they have a responsibility to delete non-conforming logs!

I remember a run-in with the cache-owners some years ago when I wrote a mildly denigratory DNF:
This was a bit of a huff'n'puff but a Helluva view from the top. I felt it was mixed blessing, though, because it's certainly panoramic, but it also reminds you that you're actually in a city.
I had a look around without finding anything, and I found the cutesy-pie clues and such rather too cloying to bother with, so I enjoyed the panorama and then headed off down the hill towards the Magazine.)
They deleted this log, then deleted it again, then had a whinge about my whinging!

I'd forgotten that this was the same people.

Given the thin-ness of their skin, I imagine they'll be climbing back into their huff and going away again soon.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 31 August 08 11:00 pm

Ahh, the beauty of GCA is that most of these logs live on - GCC02

Some things never change Mr Ursa?
Last edited by The Spindoctors on 01 September 08 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 31 August 08 11:40 pm

Hopefully the bag was a new one not preloved??