GeosportZ - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Facitman
1400 or more caches found

GeosportZ - Questions and Clarifications

Post by Facitman » 01 August 08 10:18 am

This thread is for posting questions regarding GeosportZ. The administrators will publish any clarifications on the GeosportZ website and also here as a one stop shop for common questions.

If you haven't signed up for this fun game head over to the website, the game has started and the rules and requirements are now all visible!

GeosportZ Main Page

In accordance with tradition, I call upon the cachers of the world to assemble for 2 months ... to celebrate with us the Game of ... GeosportZ

Let the fun begin :D

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 01 August 08 12:24 pm

Ive emailed a question to the organisers which Im happy to share here (and the answer, when I get it :) ).

My question is, does an island on a lake satisfy requirements 19 and 20?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 08 12:48 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:Ive emailed a question to the organisers which Im happy to share here (and the answer, when I get it :) ).

My question is, does an island on a lake satisfy requirements 19 and 20?
19: Rowing
Find and log or hide a physical cache that is located along a natural waterway in order to claim this requirement. A natural waterway includes creeks, streams, billabongs, lakes, rivers, ponds, oceans, seas, bays and any other natural location that has water either running or standing. A puddle by the side of the road does not constitute a waterway, nor does a gutter or man-made canal. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger.

Yes it would as long as the requirement says that a lake is OK. Interpretation of "along" is subjective. 100m or so from the edge of the water is OK. More than that and it's probably not considered "along the waterway".

20: Sailing
Find and log or hide a physical cache that is located on the beach or at the edge of a lake in order to claim this requirement. A river is not a lake or beach. A creek is not a lake or beach. A tributary to a lake or beach is not a lake or beach. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger.

Yes it would as you say the island is in a lake. You don't have to be on the mainland to by at the edge of a lake. You can be on the island as long as the cache is at the edge of the lake. Interpretation of "at the edge" is subjective. 100m or so from the edge of the water is OK. More than that and it's probably not considered "at the edge".

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 01 August 08 2:04 pm

Requirement 7 - for a cache to be considered box shaped, does it have to be perfectly square, or just "box shaped"? Ie, will a sistema that is longer than it is wide qualify? Would an eclipse mint tin qualify?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 08 2:21 pm

Team Wibble wrote:Requirement 7 - for a cache to be considered box shaped, does it have to be perfectly square, or just "box shaped"? Ie, will a sistema that is longer than it is wide qualify? Would an eclipse mint tin qualify?
7: Boxing
Find and log a physical cache which is in the shape of a box in order to claim this requirement. Round cache containers are not box shaped, but square sistema or square lunch boxes are box shaped.

The standard type 1 litre, 2 litre, etc, sistema containers are considered box shaped. An eclipse mint container is box shaped. A milo tin is not box shaped. A piece of plumbing pipe is not box shaped. A bucket is not box shaped. 4 sides, top and bottom are box shaped. An elephant is not box shaped. A box is box shaped. Box, box, box, box, box :-)

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 01 August 08 2:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Team Wibble wrote:Requirement 7 - for a cache to be considered box shaped, does it have to be perfectly square, or just "box shaped"? Ie, will a sistema that is longer than it is wide qualify? Would an eclipse mint tin qualify?
7: Boxing
Find and log a physical cache which is in the shape of a box in order to claim this requirement. Round cache containers are not box shaped, but square sistema or square lunch boxes are box shaped.

The standard type 1 litre, 2 litre, etc, sistema containers are considered box shaped. An eclipse mint container is box shaped. A milo tin is not box shaped. A piece of plumbing pipe is not box shaped. A bucket is not box shaped. 4 sides, top and bottom are box shaped. An elephant is not box shaped. A box is box shaped. Box, box, box, box, box :-)
So, in theory, "square [or rectangular] sistema or square [or rectangular] lunch boxes are box shaped"
It was the square bit that confused me :D

SamCarter

Post by SamCarter » 01 August 08 2:31 pm

Nerdy maths teacher definition coming up: rectangular prism = box-shaped. (i.e., shape comprises six faces all of which are rectangular, and, since squares are a subset of the set of rectangles, square sides are permitted of course)

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 01 August 08 3:19 pm

SamCarter wrote:Nerdy maths teacher definition coming up: rectangular prism = box-shaped. (i.e., shape comprises six faces all of which are rectangular, and, since squares are a subset of the set of rectangles, square sides are permitted of course)
The type of box used by cricketers would perhaps be described as triangular... :wink:

Hmmm, I think we need an emoticon for 'I have my tongue firmly in my cheek'...

traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 01 August 08 5:04 pm

an abdominal protector

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 August 08 7:59 pm

8: Canoe/Kayak

The description states that some form of watercraft is required to access the cache. Would this cover ones that are on an island with a ferry service?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 08 8:33 pm

richary wrote:8: Canoe/Kayak

The description states that some form of watercraft is required to access the cache. Would this cover ones that are on an island with a ferry service?
8: Canoe / Kayak
Find and log or hide a cache that required you to use a kayak, canoe or other watercraft to find the cache and you actually used the kayak, canoe or watercraft to find the cache in order to claim this requirement. The cache description must indicate that some type of watercraft is required in order to find this cache. If you choose the hide option your cache must be size regular or larger.

The key words are highlighted. Yes a ferry is a watercraft, BUT the cache description MUST say that you MUST use the ferry. e.g. You can't use the ferry to cross Syndey harbour and grab a cache if you could have got to the other side by car. The key is the watercraft is integral to the cache.

If you have a specific cache in mind, shoot me an email and I'll have a look.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 August 08 9:06 pm

The following requirements need multiple cache finds.

Decathlon
Heptathlon

Can the finds required for the heptathlon count towards the tally for the Decathlon? The way I read it, I can only ask for the highest point claim for one cache for either of these requirements, as long as I am not claiming the same cache I should be ok. Is that correct?

So in effect I could find seven caches on Saturday, claiming the hep for that day's effort and then find another three for the dec for the weekend in total.

Also, can any of those caches not used to claim either the points for the hep and dec then be used to claim points for other requirements?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 08 9:18 pm

swampgecko wrote:The following requirements need multiple cache finds.

Decathlon
Heptathlon

Can the finds required for the heptathlon count towards the tally for the Decathlon? The way I read it, I can only ask for the highest point claim for one cache for either of these requirements, as long as I am not claiming the same cache I should be ok. Is that correct?

So in effect I could find seven caches on Saturday, claiming the hep for that day's effort and then find another three for the dec for the weekend in total.

Also, can any of those caches not used to claim either the points for the hep and dec then be used to claim points for other requirements?
The intent was to find a different set of 10 caches for the decathlon to the 7 caches for the heptathlon. The overarching guideline in this case is the rules. http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/rules.php

Each requirement must be claimed against a cache previously unfound by you.
==AND==
Each requirement must be claimed against a different cache.

If you were to claim 7 for the heptathlon, then automatically these are excluded from any other claim as they have already been "found by you".

So while the wording is a little less than clear, for the decathlon and the heptathlon, you may not use the same cache finds.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 August 08 11:34 pm

Can requirement 8. canoe/ Kayak be a virtual?

Richary

Post by Richary » 02 August 08 12:41 am

Reading the rules I would say no.

Caches you claim for the game must be physical caches. i.e. Virtual and / or locationless caches are not acceptable for this game.

I am up for any organised events where we need 4 caching teams to go and find one, or the wrestling one. Tronador - you aren't that far from where I live if we want to organise that challenge. (#25). Though I don't know any other locals like you do (haven't been here long enough). Send me a PM if you think we can get some people together to nail that one.