Australia's First MEGA EVENT ???

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 26 June 08 9:21 pm

It would be great to have an event with 100's of cachers or teams present, but I don't quite understand the big deal about the "mega" event. The main thing is the opportunity to meet other cachers and have a good time so who cares what it's called?

Anyway, assuming GS is too USA centric to adjust the guidelines for other places, maybe we could have a GCA "Mega" event category of our own. Hell, we could have a "Giga" event? :wink:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 26 June 08 10:00 pm

Back when I was a lad I would once post a random picture of a teapot here.

I like the idea of large events and I guess the best thing about events is actually meeting people.

Jardry is onto something with his idea. Do all teams have to meet in the same place. Can we be bush lawyers about this and have all regions hold large events on the same weekend. Say Clean-up Australia Weekend were we all get in and Cache-in-Trash-out perhaps as an example. Each state is responsible for organizing their own large event and co-ordinating it on a set date.

I don't read mm's quotes are being picking. I saw it as perhaps summing up so far and adding opinion and thats what a forum is for.

Thats Hurtle for posting. It's a valid question and better than discussing the merits of the peoples chip in a geocaching forum. (Me hopes thats not actually happening somewhere here).

I apologize for not mentioning Adelaide, or Canberra and Perth or that matter. All the states and cities have the attractions and possibly the caching populations to hold a large event but like mm said I doubt you could really get more than 200 also.

Anyhow. Lets keep the topic going. There have been sone interesting suggestions so far. It would be nice to actually see the forum being used to co-ordinate something bigger than before and definitely a date to look forward to.

Question: Do you think GC would consider a Mega event that counts many events across a continent?

I doubt it but hey - who cares. Do it anyway!

B.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 June 08 10:53 pm

Bronze wrote:Jardry is onto something with his idea. Do all teams have to meet in the same place. Can we be bush lawyers about this and have all regions hold large events on the same weekend.
<p>Especially given modern technology we can video conference the different locations together. I an provide Telstra 3G (turbo express, theorteically 7.2 Mbps down) as long as we are within coverage range. So we can use any one of the messaging programs to let the dfferent locations see each other. <p>Can we then pick the geographic centre of Australia as the event location and just all hook in via wireless?<p> Sure TheUMP will knock it back given GC rules, and no personal criticism intended! But I think it is the on;y way we could get an event like that in Oz.<p> Unless there are enough cachers/children of heading for Sydney for World Youth Day (week) shortly. Which will be majorely disruptive for those of us that have to work there.

weewillie
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by weewillie » 01 July 08 11:41 am

Jardry is onto something with his idea. Do all teams have to meet in the same place. Can we be bush lawyers about this and have all regions hold large events on the same weekend.
Especially given modern technology we can video conference the different locations together. I an provide Telstra 3G (turbo express, theorteically 7.2 Mbps down) as long as we are within coverage range. So we can use any one of the messaging programs to let the dfferent locations see each other.
Given the rising cost of travel and that our "sport" is based on technology, this sounds like a Fantastic idea

Might even be an idea to approach Telstra and see if the will sponsor the event by providing some gear, could be a good promotional oppurtunity for them

Richary

Post by Richary » 01 July 08 11:22 pm

Step 1 I suggest is to look at logs for mega events in the USA or Europe. Is it possible to determine how many teams/people attended? So as to know if it is teams or people that count.

If we need 500 teams I feel the chances are pretty slim. If we only need 200 teams to make the 500 people the odds become a lot better.

TheUmp and i!riblit have been quiet on this one. Do you guys have any moderator guidelines you could add to this?

Work permitting I would travel for an event. Even it involved flying, whether by frequent flyer points or paying. I expect there would be enough people there transport/shuttles from the airport could be organised. Or if Canberra/Wagga as suggested I could fit an extra 3 people in the car and everyone chucks in a few bucks for petrol.

Years ago our old work (OTC) used to do annual sporting weekends at Wagga between Sydney and Melbourne offices as it was half way. Well, OK, they were mostly drinking weekends but you get the picture!

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 02 July 08 12:21 am

Groundspeak Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines wrote:Among other requirements, the organizers must demonstrate a substantial likelihood that at least 500 people will attend the event. A Mega-Event Cache may be published up to one year prior to the event date. A regular Event Cache can be changed to a Mega-Event Cache after the fact, if the organizers demonstrate to Groundspeak that more than 500 people attended.
People not teams. :)<br><br>

in support of people not teams, if you look at the GeoWoodstock MegaEvents, and assuming the rules have not changed since 2006, then 500 is not teams as GeoWoodstock IV did not have 500 teams attending nor 500 "Will Attend" logs.<br><br>

<a target="_blank" href=
"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... oWoodstock
I - Louisville, Kentucky</a><br>
<a target="_blank" href=
II - Nashville, Tennessee</a><br>
<a target="_blank" href=
III - Jacksonville, Florida</a> attendance 271 Teams<br>
<a target="_blank" href=
IV - Dallas, Texas</a> attendance 437 Teams "Mega-Event"<br>
<a target="_blank" href=
V - Raleigh, North Carolina</a> attendance 1039 Teams "Mega-Event"
<br>
<a target="_blank" href=
"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... oWoodstock VI - Sacramento, California</a> attendance 1255 Teams "Mega-Event"
<br><br>
but even 500 people is a big ask IMHO, that's about 4 times the biggest attendance at an Australian event (AFAIK) :D

terryjack

Post by terryjack » 04 July 08 7:30 pm

Hi all, just my two-cents here....Being a newbie i would love to attend any sort of Geocache event, i was annoyed that i was not able to attend the last Wagga event, as i was still living up north. Now looking at cache hotspots and number of cachers, i believe NSW would be the best state to hold it, as it is relativley central to other cache hotspots and has the best chances of attracting people from at least 4 other state/territories (ACT,QLD,VIC,SA). I agree with many posts that it would be attracting to cachers to meet up with so many other cachers. I really think 500 people is a real target and can be easily reached, cause this would be marked as Australia's first Mega-Event. PS i would like to be involved in organisation if this is to be held in NSW.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 July 08 8:58 pm

Not perfect but an indication of where people have listed their home co-ordinates.

http://geocaching.com.au/adhoc/cachers.png

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 04 July 08 11:43 pm

Wow! That's pretty! Although I have to admit that I instantly started rolling my scroll-wheel to zoom in for a closer look! (Was just using Google Earth a moment ago to check out where my sister is! OT: Boy does Monterrey, Mexico have some crazy geological undulations! 25 32.908N 100 27.608W)

Dik:
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 05 July 08 11:53 am

Facitman wrote:
Groundspeak Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines wrote:Among other requirements, the organizers must demonstrate a substantial likelihood that at least 500 people will attend the event. A Mega-Event Cache may be published up to one year prior to the event date. A regular Event Cache can be changed to a Mega-Event Cache after the fact, if the organizers demonstrate to Groundspeak that more than 500 people attended.
People not teams. :)<br><br>

in support of people not teams, if you look at the GeoWoodstock MegaEvents, and assuming the rules have not changed since 2006, then 500 is not teams as GeoWoodstock IV did not have 500 teams attending nor 500 "Will Attend" logsbut even 500 people is a big ask IMHO, that's about 4 times the biggest attendance at an Australian event (AFAIK) :D
A Mega Event is a big ask, but has anyone run an event promoted as a National event yet?
4 times a State or local event doesn't seem that hard.

Not every Mega Event gets 500 teams, but they aren't downgraded after the fact.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 0ecb5608f0

I think if you plan for 500 people and can show you have the facilities, accomodation and have made provision for 500, and you have a potential catchment of 500 then an event would be listed.

Personally I was considering going down to Tassie for the Mega Event, but I'm not sure whether that's still a goer now.
In fact I was thinking of a sub-event "The Great Ocean Cache" - A convoy along the Great Ocean Road headed to the event.

Dik:

Post by Dik: » 05 July 08 12:06 pm

Just thinking on my last post, what about a movable event? Or mobile event? A sort of a relay.

There would be a batton or "Event Torch" which would be a travel bug.
It would be passed from hand to hand on a pre-determined schedule around Australia during an Australia wide event that could last a month.

A group of cachers could meet in one town or city, carry the torch to the next town of city where they meet up with local cachers including those who will carry the torch on it's next move.

Being part of the torch relay would be attendance at the event.

And yes, there may be a need for planes, trains and automobiles.
Hey, that could even be the event name.

Just don't ask me to organise it. I'm an ideas man, not an organiser.

paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by paegle boy » 08 July 08 7:01 am

what if we just do a test one to see if it works :roll:

Huurtle
10000 or more caches found

Post by Huurtle » 17 July 08 1:50 pm

Well I'm glad my question invoked a lot of discussion and thought about a Mega-event in Australia!<br>
<br>
I think my initial question of whether there is a mega-event in the pipeline or not was kind of answered. There is an event listed in Tassie, but as of today(unless I missed it) there has been no-one pushing the event! I don't think it even is listed as a mega event in any case.<br>
<br>
So back to square one..... With a new question.....<br>
<br>
WHERE and WHEN should we have one?.....

roostaman

Post by roostaman » 17 July 08 2:19 pm

Good question.

I was thinking about a place central to many so the travel is similar for most people with a very big venue site to suit all the requirements of a big crowd.

If you draw a line from Brisbane to Melbourne & then another line from Sydney to Adelaide, they intersect at a point about 1 hour N of Wagga, and about 2 hours S of Bathurst and 1 - 2 hrs NW of Canberra.
Either of those 3 places is about the centre but still a fair drive for QLD & SA cachers. Not much to ask if its the biggest event all year and they all save up well ahead of time to just go to that 1 big event.

Then with all the planning needed, it will need to be a long Weekend in 2009, so everyone can travel safely on the saturday and return safely on the Monday. Easter is possbily school holidays & that often makes accommodation hard to find, June is not always good weather & not all states get the October Holiday - or do they?

A year + to plan it & usually good weather in early Oct could be a good option??

More for discussion.

Roosta.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 17 July 08 2:49 pm

roostaman wrote: & not all states get the October Holiday - or do they?
There's another holiday in October? :shock: :? I might have to talk to the boss about this to make sure i am entitled to this well-earned break. 8)

October does not work for the Qlders BTW, with only Easter, and June longweekends coinciding nationally (except for WA).

School holiday dates can be found here, just to be safe ==> http://www.australia.gov.au/School_Term_Dates

Drawing a line between these cities does not take into acount actual distances travelled, therefore the location may differ somewhat.

I would suggest having a place that one can fly into (or near) for those willing to travel that way....please take that into account, expecially for any WA's and Taswegians who might want to fly. :lol:

My suggestion put forward would be Canberra/ACT being the capital of Australia and having numerous avenues to get there. Nice and cool in June. :twisted:

mm