Premium members caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 30 April 08 2:17 pm

In a quick response (since I am the OP), I am sure my buddy will become a premium member in the future, he just isn't rightnow (been a cacher for about a month). I had the caching day planned with the caches in my GPSr, and two of them happened to be premiums!

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 27 May 08 12:05 am

I was a premium member of GC.com for a long time and what did I get out of it over and above a non paying member? a big fat ZIP.

The truth is there isn't really any great benefit to being a member in Australia. Besides, who really wants to put down a cache and restrict who finds it anyway. I mean, how selfish can you be?. I would never, and have never placed a MO cache. It's the dumbest idea GC.com ever came up with.

I would be happy to donate to GC.com, without any benefits returned, but I won't support them while they continue to lock people out of some caches. They chose to take on the role of servicing the game, a game that was absolutely unrestrictive when they found it. It should stay that way always.

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 27 May 08 10:33 am

Hounddog, you have obviously never felt the benefit of a pocket query! For those of us who do it is well worth the money for that alone. Teh hours I used to spend........

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 27 May 08 4:07 pm

homedg wrote:plus fuel (YOWZA :shock: )
Get a bicycle :) My cost per km on my commuter is now down to 2 cents per km :)

Andrew

sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found

Post by sirius Tas » 01 June 08 10:48 am

Alansee wrote:If the person involved is a cacher, which presumably they are or they wouldn't be wanting to post the find, why don't they just become Premium members? It's not exactly expensive! And it supports the sport.
Is that the same support as some Geocachers are giving to GCA by using GCA Forum, MILESTONE FACILITIES & Geocacher STATS etc....yet refuse to bother finding GCA hidden caches...just a little hypocrytical me thinks??

5commer3
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by 5commer3 » 01 June 08 9:41 pm

sirius Tas wrote:
Alansee wrote:If the person involved is a cacher, which presumably they are or they wouldn't be wanting to post the find, why don't they just become Premium members? It's not exactly expensive! And it supports the sport.
Is that the same support as some Geocachers are giving to GCA by using GCA Forum, MILESTONE FACILITIES & Geocacher STATS etc....yet refuse to bother finding GCA hidden caches...just a little hypocrytical me thinks??

Touche :D points to sirius Tas :roll: :wink:

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 01 June 08 10:04 pm

Alansee wrote:Hounddog, you have obviously never felt the benefit of a pocket query! For those of us who do it is well worth the money for that alone. Teh hours I used to spend........
<P>Ditto, couldn't live without PQ's!<P>
5commer3 wrote:
sirius Tas wrote:

<P>Just a bit confused, how does finding a cache support GCA? If GCA or CAW charged for their service I would happily pay for it! But the above statement makes little sense to me, perhaps I'm missing something. :wink:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 01 June 08 10:58 pm

big_matt wrote:Just a bit confused, how does finding a cache support GCA? If GCA or CAW charged for their service I would happily pay for it! But the above statement makes little sense to me, perhaps I'm missing something. :wink:
Appreciative Cachers actively Hiding and Finding GCA caches makes the people developing the website happy, and fuels further development. Pointedly ignoring GCA caches, and being so tactless as to do this on the GCA Forum, does not support further development of GCA. Even if you have no physical GCA caches nearby, there are some great Locationless Caches listed here. :D

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 01 June 08 11:17 pm

5commer3 wrote:
sirius Tas wrote:

Of course much of the data that underpins many of the much lauded GCA functions would not be available were it not for Premium membership and PQs :?

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 01 June 08 11:26 pm

zactyl wrote:
big_matt wrote:Just a bit confused, how does finding a cache support GCA? If GCA or CAW charged for their service I would happily pay for it! But the above statement makes little sense to me, perhaps I'm missing something. :wink:
Appreciative Cachers actively Hiding and Finding GCA caches makes the people developing the website happy, and fuels further development. Pointedly ignoring GCA caches, and being so tactless as to do this on the GCA Forum, does not support further development of GCA. Even if you have no physical GCA caches nearby, there are some great Locationless Caches listed here. :D
OK! Perhaps I need to do a bit more reading into past posts. What you say makes sense but I would have seen the use of this great forum as one of the ways of supporting the site until your last post. What are you saying about me? :shock: <p> By that logic I don't support GCA, even though I am listed as a local guru, help other cachers with queries, I happily help people out with the site, have offered to pay for use of the site, new servers, bandwidth, etc. I just didn't much see the point in having two seperate sites for finding caches, and until I moved to Canberra there were no local GCA caches. <P>I do have some caches planned now, looks like I had better get out there, I would hate to have the non-supporter tag! :!: :!:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 June 08 11:43 pm

Hmmm, is it that time of year ALREADY :lol:

Anyhow, this thread is veering off topic something fierce, so I'll try and redirect it with the following question:

How many PM caches are there in each state?
(We don't have the PM flag in our databases, and I've always wondered how common/uncommon they are.)

AFAIK there are none in my state.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 01 June 08 11:49 pm

big_matt wrote:
zactyl wrote:
OK! Perhaps I need to do a bit more reading into past posts. What you say makes sense but I would have seen the use of this great forum as one of the ways of supporting the site until your last post. What are you saying about me? :shock:
That wasn't in any way aimed at you! I'm probably just cranky at some of the congratulatory threads cluttering up the "New Posts" list atm. eg "Roostaman hits 1000 GC caches". Roostaman has found 1105 caches, why does someone feel the need to congratulate him on the subset of caches that are listed on the Groundspeak website? Because they don't think a GCA cache counts?

Sorry CR, slow typing with a mangled finger, back on topic then ;)

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 02 June 08 12:02 am

There are 27 PM caches in Aus I believe

<table>
<tr><td> New South Wales </td><td> 13 </td></tr>
<tr><td> Northern Territory </td><td> 1 </td></tr>
<tr><td> Australian Capital Territory </td><td> 8 </td></tr>
<tr><td> South Australia </td><td> 2 </td></tr>
<tr><td> Victoria </td><td> 1 </td></tr>
<tr><td> Queensland </td><td> 2 </td></tr>
</table>

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 June 08 8:39 am

zactyl wrote: That wasn't in any way aimed at you! I'm probably just cranky at some of the congratulatory threads cluttering up the "New Posts" list atm. eg "Roostaman hits 1000 GC caches". Roostaman has found 1105 caches, why does someone feel the need to congratulate him on the subset of caches that are listed on the Groundspeak website? Because they don't think a GCA cache counts?
<p>Like I have found 1705 GC and another 50 something GCA caches. But the congrats come along on the GC only ones for a simple reason.<p>How many people regularly look at another person's stats page on GCA to see how they are going? While their GC total is right there in front of you when you go to a cache page with their log on it. So it is more easily noticed when you hit a milestone on that site.

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 02 June 08 10:03 am

zactyl wrote:
Zactyls' comments are exactly what I meant....many thanks for that. I also support GC of course and I'm a Premium Member...mainly to download Pocket Queries. I totally enjoy and love the whole Geocaching experience where ever that may take me...which includes both GC & GCA caches...and to ignore either would diminish that experience to a large degree.