Ftf

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
claeton

Ftf

Post by claeton » 23 May 08 7:06 pm

who gets the FTF someone who finds and signs first or someone who gets to the area and then logs a note saying they were in the area but could not retrieve the cache

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Re: Ftf

Post by Mr Router » 23 May 08 7:11 pm

claeton wrote:who gets the FTF someone who finds and signs first or someone who gets to the area and then logs a note saying they were in the area but could not retrieve the cache
First to find the cache means just that !

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 23 May 08 7:14 pm

not a hard one to answer.

FTF is FTF and proove they found it by signing the log!!
Crisp Image

d.d.dudes
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by d.d.dudes » 23 May 08 8:10 pm

claeton wrote:who gets the FTF someone who finds and signs first or someone who gets to the area and then logs a note saying they were in the area but could not retrieve the cache
Quote ............show me a guy who doesn't sign the log book for a FTF but knew where it was but could'nt retreive the cache and i'll show you a guy striving for an impressive FTF list.......haaa....well done!! :mrgreen:

PS......hey its not me!!!! :mrgreen:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 May 08 8:31 pm

Usually it refers to the first person to sign the logbook inside the cache.

claeton

ftf

Post by claeton » 23 May 08 9:02 pm

Thanks everyone it looks like I have something to sort out with groundspeak

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: ftf

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 May 08 10:02 pm

claeton wrote:Thanks everyone it looks like I have something to sort out with groundspeak
I doubt it. FTF is nothing official, just a sort of meta-game that we play!
You might have an issue with the owner of the cache, if they've got some sort of prize for the FTF that's gone to someone who hasn't signed the logbook, maybe.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 23 May 08 10:15 pm

A note is just a note...not counted as a find. :P

If someone places a note before you, i wouldnt be too worried about that...it may be their polite way of mentioning their half-attempt rather than a DNF.

Remember that logs on the webpage are not in "find order" rather logging (on the internet) order.

mm

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 23 May 08 10:49 pm

Side issue, while down near Cataract (half way between Campbelltown and Wollongong) last weekend I got a different FTF. Nothing to do with caching though I did a few while down there.

It was a radio club listening trip where we could get away from city noise and string out lots of wire for antennas. Anyway,a fairly disappointing weekend radio wise until I found a new station on an unusual frequency Saturday night. After a bit of detective work with the knoledgable group of people there - and that I had the ACMA database on the PC and borrowed mobile net access through Telstra 3G with me - we identified what it was likely to be (a Greek station operating from near Gosford).

Phone calls from there didn't shed too much enlightenment as the people in the studio didn't know but on Monday we had it confirmed that I was probably the first person in the world to log it (apart from their tech) and found about 4 hours after transmitter switch on.

Happy with that one! :D :D :D

pirate 63

Post by pirate 63 » 24 May 08 8:25 am

aaarrgh!
it's not first to find! FTF.
it's first to plunder! FTP.

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 24 May 08 4:22 pm

pirate 63 wrote:aaarrgh!
it's not first to find! FTF.
it's first to plunder! FTP.
...and I notice you've been busy a plundering out to the west !!! :D <br>
had my eyes on a few of them too, but hols aren't for another few weeks :(

Rastas000
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rastas000 » 25 May 08 8:23 pm

FTF is when it is found and logged in the log book. Much of the difficulty of finding a cache is about finding a way to get to it when muggles are around, OR getting there when they are not.

Happiness is a clean, unsullied logbook!!!!

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 25 May 08 9:42 pm

I recently found a new cache and was the first to write a log in the logbook 8)

When I went to log it online the FTF had been claimed by another cacher (noob) who without a pen :roll: and had left a sticker in the cache (micro) to 'prove' they had been there :shock:

Since the sticker was there, I did not claim the FTF despite my log being the first :?

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 25 May 08 9:47 pm

rhinogeo wrote:I recently found a new cache and was the first to write a log in the logbook 8)

When I went to log it online the FTF had been claimed by another cacher (noob) who without a pen :roll: and had left a sticker in the cache (micro) to 'prove' they had been there :shock:

Since the sticker was there, I did not claim the FTF despite my log being the first :?
We've been caught out occasionally with no pen, and we are far from n00bs. Especially with micros and especially if there's no note about needing to bring your own writing implement. On those occasions we've placed a wibble sticker in the logbook and I don't see a problem with that. I wouldn't consider the next person who found the cache who had a pen on them to consider themselves being the first to log it.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 25 May 08 9:53 pm

I'm not happy with a DNF on a FTF when the co-ordinates are out!!

Technically you've "found" GZ according to the co-ords given, but obviously can't write in a non-existent log book. So in the strict interpretation of FTF, it's not a FTF because you haven't been able to document the "find" in the logbook. You win some, you loose some!!

The feeling is not the same as to when someone else legitimately beats you to a FTF by logging it 10 minutes before you get there.

Unfortunately, I've been guilty of the same offence, but the FTF'er was able to call and confirm correct co-ordinates and claim their FTF.

Jardry