The Old Story, How do I get the UBD Maps to run on OZI

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

The Old Story, How do I get the UBD Maps to run on OZI

Post by The Swaggies » 14 May 08 10:09 pm

Now I know we have all been thru this before and I even have a fully running desktop PC with Oze plus UBD V3 maps and everything works Ok, but..

I had to reinstall windows on the laptop recently and I cannot get the UDB V3 maps to work in OZE. It was working before Ok but it won't now.

I am running XP with 1 gig of ram and plenty of hard disk space. I have copied all the settings from the desktop and put them in the same places on the laptop.

I have pasted the UBD dll file everywhere that I think it might help but to no avail. When I open OZE and then try to open up the Melbourne.map file, all I get is a dialog box stating.. "Path to UBD maps could not be determined".

I have changed the paths in Oze Config setup and I have also pasted the converter into Oze and reconverted the maps, but to no avail.

I do get the map in the preview window, but not in the main window.

And yes I have read all the old threads.

Anyone got any other ideas (or better maps)?

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 14 May 08 10:55 pm

Try re-installing the UBD software. To my knowledge, it's the only way that Ozi can read the maps properly :shock:

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 14 May 08 11:10 pm

Team Red Roo wrote:Try re-installing the UBD software. To my knowledge, it's the only way that Ozi can read the maps properly :shock:
Sorry, makes no difference.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 15 May 08 7:05 am

Gday ! have a look around http://www.oziexplorer.com/there could be some missing map files that you need to sync it all together :)

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 15 May 08 9:08 pm

Mr Router wrote:Gday ! have a look around http://www.oziexplorer.com/there could be some missing map files that you need to sync it all together :)
Tried that last night. Even downloaded another set-up file to re-convert the maps again to no avail. I had this same problem on my mates laptop and that did not work, although we deduced he did not have enough ram (256mg). But i have 1 gig (checked that it still works). And it worked on this one less than a week ago (before I upgraded my CA Security suite, big mistake there).

But what gets me the most is that you can see all the maps in the "Map View" window but there is nothing in the main screen.

Any more ideas anyone.

ArgusTuft

Re: The Old Story, How do I get the UBD Maps to run on OZI

Post by ArgusTuft » 16 May 08 8:37 am

The Swaggies wrote:Now I know we have all been thru this before and I even have a fully running desktop PC with Oze plus UBD V3 maps and everything works Ok, but..
<snip>
Anyone got any other ideas (or better maps)?
Try the OziExplorer forum at Yahoo! Absolutely full of OE experts!!

psychokat
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by psychokat » 16 May 08 10:12 am

The same thing has happened on my handheld that doesn't have oziexplorer on it. So I'd say it's a problem with the UBD software. And no I haven't managed to fix it it still works on my laptop so I just print out the map that I need.

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 16 May 08 12:55 pm

try downloading this file and run it
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/xtras/ubd_r ... _setup.exe
This converts the maps for ozi. It worked for me.
Regards
Crisp Image

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 16 May 08 5:05 pm

Crisp image wrote:try downloading this file and run it
Regards
Crisp Image
Bingo :oops: whats data worth without the map files to tell ozi what it all means :idea: All available on the Australian page @ Ozi hq.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 16 May 08 9:44 pm

Regards
Crisp Image
I tried the file ubd_city_streets_v3_mapfiles_setup.exe from this web site and that does not work. The one you are suggesting is for the regional maps which I do not have but I suppose it may work.

Other than that I keep thinking that it may be just a setting, because of the dialog box "Path to UBD maps could not be determined"

Hmm I have just tried your link and it is a 74 meg download!!

I will let you know it that works.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 16 May 08 10:05 pm

Regards
Crisp Image
OK downloaded all 74 meg of the setup file above and the same thing still happens.

I get to see the maps in the "Map View" window but not in the main screen. It has to be a setting somewhere even though I have checked the configuration settings against the main PC and they are both the same.

I tried the menu option under File "Change image File Name, Path & Drive" but in the top box where you change the Image File location it asks for image files not map files.

I guess the OE forum is the next place to go, or uninstall both of them and then do a re-install to see if that works.

Skippy&lambchops

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 16 May 08 10:40 pm

Do you need to copy the UBD maps to Map folder in Ozi and is the image path looking t the right map folder

I have the older UBD maps which are in Ozf format, not sure what the newer UBD maps are

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 16 May 08 11:05 pm

Skippy&lambchops wrote:Do you need to copy the UBD maps to Map folder in Ozi and is the image path looking t the right map folder

I have the older UBD maps which are in Ozf format, not sure what the newer UBD maps are
Have already done that yesterday and that did not work.

Have made sure the map image path in the config file points to the location of the main maps and the second location points to the UBD maps under OZI.

Now there is a file location that I mentioned above re Images. IE Change Image File name, path & drive. But the UBD maps are in .map file extensions and not in an image file extension like .bmp.

What does your read?

Skippy&lambchops

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 17 May 08 1:11 am

my image file have .ozf2 OZF2 file

and maps are ozf.map MAP File

I have these both in the same folder one under the other

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 17 May 08 1:21 am

Well to everybody concerned I think I have solved the problem :D

Whilst uninstalling the UBD program (again-I usually copy the entire install disc to the HD and then install of that, saves having to keep putting the DVD in each time) I noticed that the version I had was missing about a gig of data.

So after copying over the entire disc again and re-installing UBD again, eveything seems to be working Ok now.

So thanks to everyone for all their help.

Cheers,

Iain