The Well Rounded Cacher

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 May 08 11:15 pm

setsujoku wrote:bugger, using that macro I've gotta go 581km to a 3.5/4.5 cache :!:

Out of interest, i thought that i remembered there being a stat on the personal cacher pages (somewhere) that showed how many out of the x number of combinations that you have completed so far in your caching life :?:
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/setsujo ... difficulty

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 05 May 08 11:18 pm

cool, thought that id seen it as a number before as a xx of yy possibilities. maybe im just imagining things :D

Dik:
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 06 May 08 2:24 pm

Derringer wrote:Just been looking at my unfound list,

Any Vic cachers want to place some terrain 5 caches out there
especially if difficulty rating is above 3 :D :D :D

I am desperately short of hard caches
:( :( :(

Anything involving a long walk /ski would be good :wink:

Kevin
GCXNY1 Frequent Flier has one waypoint in Victoria, and you could start there for a very long walk anti clockwise around Oz. :twisted:

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 06 May 08 3:15 pm

I'm up for this game having NOT logged very many Australian caches!

(Compared to most of you I haven't logged very many caches at all!)

:oops:

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 06 May 08 11:50 pm

I'd need some help from my fellow cachers.

I ran the WRC macro on GSAK last night and I'll have to drive 2800kms to one cache to complete a 5/5 comp.

Don't think the "boss" will let me use that amount of fuel.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 May 08 2:29 am

TeamBeanDare wrote:I'd need some help from my fellow cachers.

I ran the WRC macro on GSAK last night and I'll have to drive 2800kms to one cache to complete a 5/5 comp.

I've got plenty of Diff:5 caches in the ideas folder, but getting myself to a Terr:5 location to place one is the problem!
Maybe I'll patch the leak in the little paddle-boat and place an island cache to get the "special equipment" 5 rating...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 May 08 1:20 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
TeamBeanDare wrote:I'd need some help from my fellow cachers.

I've got plenty of Diff:5 caches in the ideas folder, but getting myself to a Terr:5 location to place one is the problem!
Maybe I'll patch the leak in the little paddle-boat and place an island cache to get the "special equipment" 5 rating...
A most excellent idea. I've been thinking along similar lines. A bit of a fiendish puzzle with a boat trip out to an island. That would make it a 5/5 but relatively easily accessible, especially if a friend has a boat.

Kiwi Nomad
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Kiwi Nomad » 07 May 08 3:12 pm

setsujoku wrote: Out of interest, i thought that i remembered there being a stat on the personal cacher pages (somewhere) that showed how many out of the x number of combinations that you have completed so far in your caching life :?:
Yes under graphs, found by difficulty and terrain.

Craig

Post by Craig » 11 May 08 3:14 pm

Spent a couple of hours today doing some preliminary planning for this competition. It seems that there is no active 4.5/5.0 (Terrain/Difficulty) caches in Australia :shock:

In Victoria we are missing out on an additional 8 combinations, being 1.0/4.5, 2.0/4.5, 2.5/4.5, 3.0/4.5, 3.5/5.0, 4.5/1.0, 4.5/3.0 & 4.5/4.0 (all Terrain/Difficulty format).

Bring on the new caches! :twisted:

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 13 May 08 1:28 pm

Having had a quick check through SA, to find we are missing combinations, I'm wondering:
Is there a well rounded caching state in Australia?

Thomo

Post by Thomo » 13 May 08 7:56 pm

Craig wrote:Spent a couple of hours today doing some preliminary planning for this competition. It seems that there is no active 4.5/5.0 (Terrain/Difficulty) caches in Australia :shock:

In Victoria we are missing out on an additional 8 combinations, being 1.0/4.5, 2.0/4.5, 2.5/4.5, 3.0/4.5, 3.5/5.0, 4.5/1.0, 4.5/3.0 & 4.5/4.0 (all Terrain/Difficulty format).

Bring on the new caches! :twisted:
I`ve got a 4.5/3.0 on my list, the closest to home - GCRKQ7 Tantangara ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCRKQ7 ) in NSW, but I think I`m going to have to travel as far as Canberra to pick up some caches. Already planning a round trip.

I have an idea or 2 for 1.0 / 5.0 (T/D) caches. Just a matter of finding the time to place them, and more likely to be over the border in Albury, so Vic misses out again :cry: .

I think quite a few new caches will be placed out to meet the requirements of the game which would be a good thing, but hopefully the caches won`t be under/over rated just so people can pick up the caches needed.

Can`t for the game to start, should be a whole lotta fun.

Darren
( D J Geodog Rascal )

Dik:

Post by Dik: » 14 May 08 2:00 pm

Firstly, just a note on protocol. Since when did we start listing caches as Terrain/Difficulty ? On Both GC and GCA they are Difficulty/Terrain. It makes it easier to follow the thread when we stick to that format.

And now onto the real topic of Terrain 4.5

This is a tough one, because what may be a 4.5 for one cacher might be a 5.0 for another, and to recommend people attempt tough terrain without protection is a tough decision for the hider.

So, the temptation is to rate the terrain as 5 if it's above 4.

I do have a 3.0/4.5 (D/T) cache out there, and the notes state "If you decide to go ahead, once on the approach, if the going starts to get too tough, STOP, do not go on. You now have two choices, either raise the terrain to 5 and belay or rappel in from above, or better still just go home." It's had just 3 logs in a year.

Craig

Post by Craig » 14 May 08 8:37 pm

Sorry, you are correct Dik, the protocol should be Difficulty/Terrain :oops:

I place greater emphasis on the terrain of a cache (all about the journey etc), hence in why I had the terrain first.
Thomo wrote:I`ve got a 4.5/3.0 on my list, the closest to home - GCRKQ7 Tantangara ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCRKQ7 ) in NSW, but I think I`m going to have to travel as far as Canberra to pick up some caches. Already planning a round trip.
Yes, I think there's a few of us who will have to head to Canberra. Still, I do hope that each State can become "Well-Rounded" before the start of the competition!

Team Carnage
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Team Carnage » 15 May 08 12:07 am

I put my name down for this game as it sounds fun.
Being in the south west of WA doesnt put me in good stead for winning as a lot of the combinations are very wide spread.
But I will be giving it a go for sure.

Rikki
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by Rikki » 22 September 08 11:32 pm

Great idea for a competition. It's going to take a bit of coordination between cachers to finish this one. Will be certainly taking a crack at it. I am already tinking twice about doing certain caches before November 1. :)
<br><br>

It might be worth adding the finds by D/T chart in the "View your points" page so we can see at a glance which ones we have claimed.